This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Speech Recognition

I don't know but I am finding it extremely hard for Homey to pick up an australian accent. It almost never works, can anyone suggest a work around? it worked fine for the first few days of receiving this when it had the "train your voice" option. Better australian recognition, would be awesome. Not much of a question, but Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue 

Comments

• ZperXZperX Member

I am afraid it is not only you and the accent. Here in UK is the same, I am not native but my friends have Canadian and Cambridge accents (one of the clearest and balanced accents) and they have no success with homey either.
    It works for some Dutch guys only and they are happy with that.

If you want IR to work buy Harmony hub.
    If you want Voice to work than buy Google home or Alexa.

Quite sad.

• ZperX said: If you want Voice to work than buy Google home or Alexa.
    For Google home and Alexa, does this type of problem not come up, or is there something you need to do?

Set region or something like that, perhaps?
  • ZperX said:

I am afraid it is not only you and the accent. Here in UK is the same, I am not native but my friends have Canadian and Cambridge accents (one of the clearest and balanced accents) and they have no success with homey either.
    It works for some Dutch guys only and they are happy with that.

If you want IR to work buy Harmony hub.
    If you want Voice to work than buy Google home or Alexa.

Quite sad.

Highly disappointing really. The voice command was the big point behind Homey, and since they took away training your voice, its just been down hill. Was hoping this would be everything that was stated.

Google Home/Amazon Alexa isnt available in Australia sadly :( 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited March 2017
    Training your voice was only for the "ok homey" part, not for the rest of voice recognition. 
    But that most of the time that made it worse anyway. 

Just wait for homey update 1.2.x speech filtering has improved in that version, maybe also for the better with an Australian accent.

You can already "test".
    If the voice recognition is pretty good with the mobile app, you can have some high hopes that it will get better for homey itself too 
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited March 2017
    I also noticed Homey's bad English language recognition during app testing. It's a bit strange when Athom tells a developer that an app should at least work in English next to other languages.

There was a time when English taxi drivers thought that I was American, so I don't think that my pronunciation should be a problem.
  • Same here. Homey's bad English language recognition is very frustrated.
    I hope it is a software issue and not hardware.
  • shayharel said:
    Same here. Homey's bad English language recognition is very frustrated.
    I hope it is a software issue and not hardware.
    it is very frustrating. :( Speech recognition is poor. :( Hope they fix it soon. 
    The speech recognition was their thing!
  • With the lack of a good dashboard and no ability to add virtual devices so we can activate flows etc.. speech is the only thing to use to control. We need a better alternative method to use homey.
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited March 2017
    That`s true. Some folks could say that there is an App. Well, it does not work most of the time for me on a stock Android. It takes ages to load, it freezes and often it does not show any devices.

It happened often that I said that Ok homey Turn the lights OFF. (or close the blinds) and it turns ON all the lights. Then trying to rectify it by saying 5+ times to turn off the lights but still no luck and app is broken. So leaving me with one option to walk through the house and switch off ALL the lights manually. And than the Athom fanatics tells you don`t be frustrated that`s rude.
  • With the lack of a good dashboard and no ability to add virtual devices so we can activate flows etc.. speech is the only thing to use to control. We need a better alternative method to use homey.
    What do you mean there's no ability to add virtual devices? If you install the 'Better Logic' app, you can create a bitflip device or trigger (push button). You can use both from the Homey app and they can start flows.

And I believe you can also use a simple KlikAanKlikUit remote to trigger flows. That way you can have a remote with several buttons to do multiple things.

More than enough alternatives to speech, I think. Although I do agree that the speech recognition could be better. On the other hand: is having to tell Homey what to do really 'smart'? I think it's smarter if those things work without any extra user actions. Like walking into a room to turn the lights on and turning them off when everybody left.
  • spamenigmaspamenigma Member
    edited March 2017
    I have no idea what klikAan... is??? This was mentioned before for adding virtual devices but when I tried it I just see a list of remote controls it wants me to try and add, no idea how that would work?

I'll have another look at better logic then, if I click to add bit flip it just says no new devices found. Nothing intuitive here.

What you're saying seem to be workarounds, it would be nice to just have an official way that allows us to add virtual device, point it at another device or flow. Done!

• Amelsfort said:
    On the other hand: is having to tell Homey what to do really 'smart'? I think it's smarter if those things work without any extra user actions. Like walking into a room to turn the lights on and turning them off when everybody left.
    Yes, we need control! Not everyone wants their lights to come on when you enter a room... Handy for a bathroom maybe but a bedroom or livingroom certainly not! Everyone's circumstances are different.

A number of times we just need buttons to press on an easy to navigate dashboard. The webpage and windows app doesn't give us an easy to use interface to do that. I've tried that dashboard app and its a step in the right direction at least.. 
  • I have no idea what klikAan... is??? This was mentioned before for adding virtual devices but when I tried it I just see a list of remote controls it wants me to try and add, no idea how that would work?

I'll have another look at better logic then, if I click to add bit flip it just says no new devices found. Nothing intuitive here.

What you're saying seem to be workarounds, it would be nice to just have an official way that allows us to add virtual device, point it at another device or flow. Done!

I was assuming you were Dutch, but KlikAanKlikUit (ClickOnClickOff) is brand of relativly cheap remotes, sensors, power outlets, etc. I use some of these to switch my lights on and off. The signals sent by those remotes are received by Homey and you can build flows for it.
    For the Better Logic devices, you first have to create a boolean variable (in the Settings) and then create a device which uses that variable.

I agree that the Windows app or webpage are not very easy to just switch some devices, but that's because their primary target is building flows. It's also a hassle to first open a laptop/PC and navigate to the website/Windows app just to switch the lights on.
    The Android app is used to control the devices and it's working quite well for me. If you really need manual control, this is the easiest way. 

• No UK, so had never heard of Klik... :) or see a way of making that work as a virtual device.

Thanks, I'll see if I can make use of the Better Logic method.

• Well that works! Thanks for getting me started with using Better Logic as a Virtual Device.

• WRosWRos Member
     To create a virtual device : https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2186/trigger-a-flow-in-the-homey-app#latest
    "KlikAanKlikUit" for international customers: http://www.trust.com/en/smarthome

• No UK, so had never heard of Klik... :) or see a way of making that work as a virtual device.

Thanks, I'll see if I can make use of the Better Logic method.

You don't have to use KlikAanKlikUit,  maybe you have installed the app Smartwares? If so then you can use one of those sockets to make your VT button. You can use any APP you have installed where you can generate your own signal to add a socket......You can even use the Somfy APP to make a VT button.
  • I know this went a little off topic, but in the theme of Virtual Devices, Just noticed https://apps.athom.com/app/com.arjankranenburg.virtual on the app store.

Find it odd this wasn't a default in homey, and potentially shot down as an idea by them.. but great that others are making this work!
  • AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, I wrote a comment about my tests this morning, but that was meant for (one of) the other thread about speech recognition.