This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

NEO z-wave - battery status issue

I added some more NEO battery power devices, siren, door/windows contacts, pir. Yesterday I reconnected them all and all was well, meaning they showed the battery status in percentage. Today I had to reset homey a couple of times for other reasons. Now all is working well but the battery status for almost all devices is showing - (no precentage).

I had this most of the time before also, but there had been updates in the NEO app. Now I'm quite sure there was no update, why am I losing this indicator? The only one still working is the siren. All devices are working perfectly for the rest.

Has anybody have the same experience? How can this be solved other then opening up the devices and activating them via the switch?

It looks a little silly to have to reset the devices every time the app is updated. Is it perhaps homey reset related?

Comments

• After a reset (PTP or reboot) of Homey, the previous values (as available in insights) are not shown in the mobile card. Instead it will show a "-".
    Typically the NEO's have a wakeup interval of 6-12 hours, at which the battery report will be triggered and updated.
    Other values are reported (pushed) by these devices and therefore available earlier..
  • Aha, this means without any reboot the battery indicators should be working tomorrow morning/afternoon?
    I will check and report back.
  • I have the same issue with a fibaro pir. After installing, weeks ago, it showed 100% shortly. Since than, it just shows a "-". Wakeup interval is 12 hours and not weeks ;).
  • In both cases, the battery report is requested by the device driver of Homey, once a wake-up report of the sensor is received. During a wakeup, the sensor will only be online for a period of 10 seconds.
    If any other communication is blocking the GET command or battery REPORT, the battery report will not be received at that wake-up moment. 

For the NEO devices, I've added and tested this section of the driver extensively. It typically recovers in 1 or 2 wakeup cycles.

The Fibaro sensor does not always provide a battery report upon request (known issue) even though it runs on the same driver section.
  • I have the idea that the sensor does not wake up or that the app does not receive the wake up signal. I have tried to change a alarm delay, but the log does not show any change in timings. After a removing and replacing the battery the % was updated.
  • Update on my battery status. Last reset of homey was 3 days ago. PIR, flood- and door sensors all still show the "-" mark. There have been several 6-12 hour cycles and I would expect the status to be updated by now....

Remarkable is that the battery status of the siren _ALWAYS_ shows a correct value... If I'm correct, the siren is one of the latest added devices to the app? Maybe one of the developers can check if there are differences in the source between the siren and other devices?

Also (1) remarkable, the siren is at the 3rd floor and still shows a active line in the Z-wave diagram of homey. It also works very well so there is a working connection. There is a door contact in the same room as homey (ground level) which also shows a line to homey and works fine. The 2nd door contact at the front door is even closer to homey, but _NEVER_ has shown a line within the diagram, it shows like floating around. The contact DOES work, very well indeed.

Does anyone have some clarification for this?

Also (2) how does the diagram show if a device connects through an other device? Meaning hopping within the mesh and no direct connection to Homey.

Any insight is appreciated.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited March 2017
    Does battery come up when you do a wake up on the sensor by pushing once on the button inside ? Theres no difference in code.
  • The missing lines have been reported more often in the zwave spiderweb. it seems to be a bug and they think it depends on the version of the fw when you added it. i personly think it does not matter because i also have a floating device without wires now on 1.2.0
    Some also have a star diagram , aka missing mesh wires. So the spiderweb just isnt fully 100% ok all the time.

a re-pair will probably fix the floating device. but if its working why would you. i guess the spiderweb will get better in time and it will get wires back then again. 
  • mruiter said:
    Does battery come up when you do a wake up on the sensor by pushing once on the button inside ? Theres no difference in code.
    I tried this already in the past without success. Only a complete re-pair brings back the battery status, but as I know by now, once homey gets a reset the battery indicator is gone...

If there are no code differences, maybe the firmware of the devices makes a difference? 
  • We have not seen a new firmware release yet for neo devices.

But there has been quite some battery report in troubles with homey and its zwave driver. Im now on 1.2 and all is reporting in. 1.1.9 had some zwave troubles for me to. (1.2 still does but just a little bit less) . All my devices are now reporting in battery on 1.2 . yes even my fibaros  :)
  • mruiter said:
    The missing lines have been reported more often in the zwave spiderweb. it seems to be a bug and they think it depends on the version of the fw when you added it. i personly think it does not matter because i also have a floating device without wires now on 1.2.0
    Some also have a star diagram , aka missing mesh wires. So the spiderweb just isnt fully 100% ok all the time.

a re-pair will probably fix the floating device. but if its working why would you. i guess the spiderweb will get better in time and it will get wires back then again. 
    Good to know, I seem to have a spiderweb too. Would be nice to get more detailed information, maybe in future updates.

One of my z-wave plugs is in my garden house. Normally it works fine, I expect it to hop over another plug to homey. Sometimes the garden house plug cannot be reached... Not sure yet what is causing this. This is why a better (more detailed) graphic would be good.
  • you could look in youre zwave log for trouble. the spiderweb is not the part that will give you real troubleshoot info. it helps but mostly became alive because of the users asking for it.

Does youre zwave log have much queue errors at the moments it is not reachable ?
  • I checked, in this case the module is on node 19. Below is an extract from the log:

[2017-03-09T11:01:33.130Z] Command start: sendData
    [2017-03-09T11:01:33.143Z] ProcessSendData[150]: To node: 19 with data: 0x250100 and txOptions: ACK,AUTO_ROUTE
    [2017-03-09T11:01:35.032Z] ProcessSendData[150]: Error: TRANSMIT_COMPLETE_NO_ACK
    [2017-03-09T11:01:35.039Z] Command end: sendData

From what I can makeup, the signal is sent but there was no acknowledgment. Other nodes are activated regularly, node 19 is never activated. It almost seems like homey has lost all connection to the device although a day ago it worked perfectly. 

Something like a upside-down healing process ? :(
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited March 2017
    Just un-pair it.
    Then do a reset to default on the node . dont know the procedure from my head but its in the manual. then pair it again.
    Should correct itself then

Upsidedown homey and reset that is a little bit drastic and should not be needed
  • Hi, I have the same problem that battery status is not shown for following devices:
    Alarm Sirene Z-wave Plus Neo Coolcam
    Motionsensor Z-wave Plus Neo Coolcam

Homey has been rebooted a few times but this does not solve the problem. 

When I remove MotionSensor from network and than add it again sometimes it works again, but for sirene I still don't have battery status when remove and add it agian.

Please advice how this can be fixed. 

• mruitermruiter Member
    edited March 2018
    Advise is to read or search this forum topic. 
    Battery is a homey issue 

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/4346/app-z-wave-neo-coolcam-z-wave-devices-main-discussion-topic/p1

hint: wake up the device