This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

App to support Yeelight

Comments

• I'm also curious! I'm still waiting for my bulb to arrive...
  • I'm also curious! I'm still waiting for my bulb to arrive...
    Well the lux amount could be a bit higher but this the only draw the lights work really well currently with ITFFF. I never have issues with them and as you see i asked yeelight/xiaomi on their forum to have a look at implementation for homey and an engineer actually shows up!   Their forum has awesome support (sad to say better then here)  and this from an chineese company i am really impressed with them.   

I currently have 6 light bulbs,  cleaningrobot,  phones and tablets and more to come .  And its good quality as well 
  • Today I tested my new WiFi bulbs. At least that was the idea... Screwing in the bulb was easy, then via QR scanning installing the app on my phone also. Simple manual switch to on and the bulb worked.

Then the shit starts. As it turns out you _ALWAYS_ need an account in the cloud to use the lights functionality  :s
    Besides me not liking this, there is no need for an account, at least not for the Bluetooth version which I also have working. Much more disappointing is the fact that I have spend also 2 hours before an account was created.... :# 

As it turns out, regular email addresses don't seem to be working; I never received any emails that were needed to confirm my account. Only after finding a similar problem with google, Yeelight support suggested to use a Gmail account. When using my Gmail account all worked well and the app works nicely.

I really don't like:
    - obligation to register
    - not being able to use a normal email address
    - wasting several hours over the above

For all that have still to receive their Yeelights, read the above; it might save you quite some time.

I would like:
    @yeelight support / developer
    I don't mind getting some free product samples to compensate all my hassle today :)

• Bumb 
  • Anyone seen some update? Status Yeelight developer?
  • @Annemarie
    Are you still in contact with them?
  • Yea i am curious to as the yeelight engineer already stated:

'if i found a way to test, the yeelight app on homey come in few days.' 

So it would be a few days of work but because he cannot test it we are waiting for 2 months now..  And i really want to get started to use homey with my lights the way it supposed to. 
  • Im searching other ways now how to control this lights, maybe with the http app...
  • FloodnlFloodnl Member
    edited March 2017
    viktor said:
    Im searching other ways now how to control this lights, maybe with the http app...
    Well @viktor if i see this picture every device should work as it should  (at least that's how they sell it) 

Ps if you don't know i have it working with ITFFF 
  • Floodnl said:
    Yea i am curious to as the yeelight engineer already stated:

'if i found a way to test, the yeelight app on homey come in few days.' 

So it would be a few days of work but because he cannot test it we are waiting for 2 months now..  And i really want to get started to use homey with my lights the way it supposed to. 
    Argh! I always read 'I found a way..." and missed the 'If'.... So I have been hoping and refreshing for about two months now. :(
    I hope there will be a way to test soon, so I can remove some Kaku-switches and command the devices directly from Homey.
  • Almost three weeks later now.... Still no update on this one?
  • I don't think anyone is working on this (anymore?). Big silence from athom and possible developer...
  • FloodnlFloodnl Member
    edited March 2017
    RuudvB said:
    I don't think anyone is working on this (anymore?). Big silence from athom and possible developer...

Well i might set a bounty for an working app maybe that will pull a random dev willing to make an app and buy a lamp.
    But lets see what they will do we all know it takes months to get some info from Athom it seems. We are all used to use forums but they work differently with Slack and github. we might wanna give it a go there to get our voice out. 

Edit: the Help is btw great on the forum but it's thanks to the great community without them this would be way worst. 
  • PekePeke Member
    Pls make a app for the yeelights, i also would contribute to a dev that makes it possible.
  • Bumb for an reaction
  • @Floodnl I just asked on Slack and there is someone working on an app right now for the RGB lamp.  I don't know if he reads the forum aswell so I thought I would just post it here.
  • @dENNtoet that someone you are talking about is someone from Athom and he is called Bas Kiers ;-) 

• In the meantime I find that IFTTT is doing a reasonable job
  • @dENNtoet i have gotten a reaction ;)  and better than expected.   But yea I've said it before and until it's solved i will say it again:  if the communication was better on the forum then we wouldn't pollute the forum asking for updates and yelling that we get no response..  This is at some extend so frustrating not knowing how or what...   So a athom dev is working on it  id Denntoet and @wingie didnt responded i would've paid 50 a 100 euroes to a dev for nothing.   Not only throwing away money but a devs time and effort as well.. 
  • You want bad communication? Try asking fibaro a question, you will get response if it is a simple question in 4 weeks, maybe a little over.
    I currently still have a quite technical question open without any response after 6 weeks and 2 days... And still counting :wink:
    If they are going to respond at all that is.. 
  • Jerryvdv said:
    In the meantime I find that IFTTT is doing a reasonable job
    Good to hear, could you explain some more? Since I have never used IFTTT before, maybe you have some flows to share?
  • Floodnl said:
    @dENNtoet i have gotten a reaction ;)  and better than expected.   But yea I've said it before and until it's solved i will say it again:  if the communication was better on the forum then we wouldn't pollute the forum asking for updates and yelling that we get no response..  This is at some extend so frustrating not knowing how or what...   So a athom dev is working on it  id Denntoet and @wingie didnt responded i would've paid 50 a 100 euroes to a dev for nothing.   Not only throwing away money but a devs time and effort as well.. 
    I agree, communications from athom.... :'(

Could anyone share some kind of status of the app to be born? Are there beta versions available? I'm willing to test...
  • AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited April 2017
    RuudvB said:
    Jerryvdv said:
    In the meantime I find that IFTTT is doing a reasonable job
    Good to hear, could you explain some more? Since I have never used IFTTT before, maybe you have some flows to share?
    I also use IFTTT to switch my Yeelights. For example: when I switch on my beamer (I check this by measuring the energy through a Fibaro Wall Plug), a small light turns on so I can switch of the normal lights (by hand...) and get back to my seat safely. Then, as soon as I start playing a movie, the light is switched off. When I pause or close Kodi, the light is switched on again. Finally, when the beamer is turned off, the light is switched off as well.

First you have to install the IFTTT-app in Homey and create a flow which fires a trigger:

Then, assuming you already added the Yeelights to your network, you have to go to ifttt.com and create a new applet there. For the 'if' you can add 'Homey'. It then shows a list of all triggers you created in your flows (like 'BiosLight_SwitchOn' in my case). For the 'then' you have to add 'Yeelight', where you can perform actions like 'switch on', 'change color', etc.

That's it!

The only thing with using IFTTT is the delay. It takes, at least in my case, a few seconds for the lights to switch on. So I hope the Yeelight app will resolve this issue.

• JerryvdvJerryvdv Member
    edited April 2017
    Not much to add to the example of Amelsfort. Once the IFTTT trigger has been defined on Homey you can add it on IFTTT.com (or via the app) - see the screen below for an example.

Please note that you first need to couple your Homey to IFTTT - this is done via services on IFTTT.com.

• FloodnlFloodnl Member
    edited April 2017
    Jerryvdv said:
     this is done via services on IFTTT.com.

You can also use the app on android (maybe also IOS) i and you can make your own scenes in the yeelight app  

first set your lamps the way you want them to be
    then create a scene in the yeelight app
    and then use that scene in IFTTT

and then you use the applet of IFTTT in a flow 

• Thanks all for the flow suggestions.

I now have to find some time to do some experimenting....
  • @RuudvB

Also to make your own scenes you need to do this in the Yeelight app set the lights to the scene you want to make.
    then make a scene and you can use that scene then in a flow: 

• Floodnl said:
    @RuudvB

Also to make your own scenes you need to do this in the Yeelight app set the lights to the scene you want to make.
    then make a scene and you can use that scene then in a flow: 

Thanks for the addition, I will certainly test this.
  • FloodnlFloodnl Member
    Bumping in the hope we get an reaction regarding the progress..  It's been months without a official reply this is so frustrating (the lack of communication) 
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    Floodnl said:
    Bumping in the hope we get an reaction regarding the progress..  It's been months without a official reply this is so frustrating (the lack of communication) 
    I share your frustration.... I'm using IFTTT as a workaround at the moment. It works, but it is just not a native solution.

Something about the Yeelight though. In my experience they really work very well with their native app.
    I also have employed 2x a Wemo light + power switch via a Wemo controller. Compared to the Yeelights, the Wemo suck big time from day 1. Dozens of software updates that will not install properly, unexplained loss of lights in the native app and of course also in homey. Having to re-pair them sometimes several times a week....

For everyone that has the choice between Yeelight or Wemo; buy the Yeelights!! 

Therefore I think it is just stupid that we do not have a native homey app yet for the Yeelights. Hey @Athom, do something about it!!! At least give us some update. 

This discussion has been closed.