This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

What happens if WiFi is turned off at night

Hello,
I am considering buying a homey, but i have a question that i would like aan answer to.
I always turn off mi WiFi at night and would like to know how this influences homey.
I have already seen that homey can function without wifi, but that is meant for always not internet.
What i would like to know is what happens if i switch off wifi at night while i have flows that use apps or data for which wifi is required?
And also if flows that dont need wifi will still be active?

Thanx in advance,
Also im new to the forum so if i did anything wrong please let me know.

Comments

• Homey will lose it's connection to the cloud, you'll have to reboot Homey after wifi is up again....
  • but there's an app for automatic reboots : candy-app
  • Thank you very much, and will flows only including for example COCO still be usable at the time that the wifi is down?

• Other than losing connection to the cloud, will it lose any other major functionality?

I think that everything is connected via Bluetooth, but is there a chance that Homey connects to any other products via WiFi?

I am just wondering what issues this could cause in cases where the WiFi goes out, as well as when it needs to be restarted, etc. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited February 2017
    Homey can still function without the cloud, flows will continu to work if they don't need internet like zwave. But you can't connect to Homey through the athom cloud. Athom also stated then when they would go down Homey would still function, but how that would go we don't know.
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited February 2017
    bvdbos said:
    Homey will lose it's connection to the cloud, you'll have to reboot Homey after wifi is up again....
    Timmmeeeeh 
    I do not agree, unless Homey several hours disconnected behaves different than short disconnects (up to approx. 30 minutes). I will look if I can test next week. 

I restarted my WiFi several times because of a lousy Ziggo Internet router. 
    After a restart of the  router Homey always automatically reconnected, I didn't restart Homey any time because of WiFi failures. The only times I did I still had to restart the F* router .

Only the functionality of Homey  is very limited without Wifi / Internet.

What works:
    • Internal Scheduler (timed events)
    • Scan NFC tags
    • Send and receive 433 (KAKU/COCO /HomeyEasy etc.)
    • Z-wave  (guess, I dont have! ) 
    • The LED RING
    • Infrared? (didn't test)
    • Some Apps (fe Candy App, CountDown App, Better Logic SunEvents?? (not 100% sure) , LED Ring Collection) 

What doesn't work:
    • Voice!
    • Speech!
    • Athom's Mobile Homey APP (including Presence)
    • Most other Apps (fe Most Thermostats, NetAtmo, Twitter, IFTTT, email, ....)
    • Lights using a Bridge? ?? (almost sure)
    • and much more. 
  • I can understand why you want to turn of wifi, but only turning wifi off from the router doesnt bennefit your health.
    Homey will still send out a signal to find avalible wifi signal.
  • 0burner0 said:
    I can understand why you want to turn of wifi, but only turning wifi off from the router doesnt bennefit your health.
    Homey will still send out a signal to find avalible wifi signal.
    Nice assumption....  
    Maybe his daughters are not allowed to internet at night. ;-)  

I have heard several different reasons to switch it of! 
  • Thanks very much for all the responses,
    The reason i want to do it this way is because i'm used to it, and my router is in sight so i don't like all the lights at night. Maybe i will keep it on i'm not sure yet, maybe i will turn homey off as well, but i wanted to know what would happen and you all gave a very nice explaination of it so thanks very much!
  • GeurtDijker i'm curious about the test so please let me know if you decide to do a test <span>:smile:</span>

• Just buy the Amplifi Lights can be turned off on whatever time u need.
  • Beside that my house is cold as the Thermosmart Looses it's program/time $#^$%&%^&^%**&* .....

As Expected Homey just reconnected when I plugged in my router/AP. after approx 5 and a half hour been powered off. I did not test if apps worked / crashed etc. 
    I think the first trigger from a 433 (KAKU) doorbell resonded a little bit slow, but opening my browser and going to my.athom.com just showed my both Homeys that I could connect to at the local IP. 
    o, and by the way the  not so good working Presence showed Geurt Came home 4 minutes ago on both Homeys.(after leaving 13 days ago???  Really?)