This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Appstore now offers apps in "Beta".

PovlovPovlov Member
edited February 2017 in Apps
I see the app Homeydash is now described as being "beta".
Most likely Athom has communicated such a change through email or other notifications of this change, but I seem to have missed that. A description of this major change in the Appstore header would be informative.... 

My firmware is 1.1.9; I did not choose for checking the "experimental" as I read ( on Slack which proves a little too technical for me) that going back to uncheck this  could mean an automatic loss of userdata. Or at least a hassle with broken flows, reinstall of apps and or devices. 

All my apps are, of course" on "automatic update",  so they are most recent.
Will I run into trouble when 2.0 will be installed?  Will that switch  me to a general "experimental", because I now have "beta" status apps running?
Can I stay ahead of trouble by freezing Homey on 1.1.9 (by firmware updates uncheck)?
The orange warning frame appearing there suggest that is not a preferable thing to do.  

Comments

• NattelipNattelip Member
    edited February 2017
    @Povlov you are also on slack, there has been a lot of discussion about it. cant imagine you missed it .

see  http://athom.slack.com/

for all of you not yet on slack , thats where homey is discussed extensively, can ask experienced users for advise, get tips and tricks ,  thats the place to be.

• The change of the appstore is mentioned in this topic
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1430/software-status#latest

Beside that, if you dont use the experimental channel and don't install unapproved Beta (or Alpha) apps there should be no problem with updating them.
    HomeyDash was always a Beta version as far as i know.

• Nattelip said:
    @Povlov you are also on slack, there has been a lot of discussion about it. cant imagine you missed it .
    Biggest concern as discussed on slack is:
    But note, when going to a stabler version all settings and devices of that app will be removed
    Meaning that if you change from Beta to stable release, all settings and devices will be removed!
    Currently this is NOT mentioned on the appstore before installing the Beta (or Alpha) release of the app..
  • Installing is mentioned, but for me it fails as.... I guess because Homey needs to be updated to something newer than 1.1.9

Did anyone notice what Homey fw you need to make use of beta and alpha channel apps?
  • yeah, it must be homey firmware 1.2 and greater...

• HomeyDash has always been a beta release. It's in the store so it's easier for other users to install/test it and give feedback while developmemt continues. 
  • I see the app Homeydash is now described as being "beta". [...]
    Homeydash is in the stable channel like all apps at this moment (26-02-2017) . 
    It is the title the deveoper created that contains "(beta)" and his feeling about the app.

but this has nothing to do with the new Appstore functionality of a seperate alpha and beta channel!

• Nattelip said:

see  http://athom.slack.com/

for all of you not yet on slack , thats where homey is discussed extensively, can ask experienced users for advise, get tips and tricks ,  thats the place to be.

You're maybe right, but since I don't have @athom mailaccount, no access allowed ... :(

• You're maybe right, but since I don't have @athom mailaccount, no access allowed ... :(
    Me don't have a @Athom mailaccount and am on Slack so just register.
  • Switching back from an Alpha or beta to a stabler channel gives this warning:

although the description of the installed version shows the wrong version (should be Alpha for this example) 
  • Switching between channels will lose settings/data for the app. Switch between channels will mean clean install (and only possible with firmware > 1.2)
  • How can I get the 1.2.0 version of homey software?
  • loutje020 said:
    How can I get the 1.2.0 version of homey software?
    1.2.0 is in dev preview at the moment. This is a select group of people. After dev preview it is going to experimental and final it goes to stable. We have to wait to the moment Athom will release it to experimental / stable. In the meantime Athom will fix bugs if needed. So, please be patient.
  • Thanks for The info. Sounds Good!