This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

technical hue/power socket question

How are you guys controlling lamps (for example a desktop light aka bureaulamp) which has a power cord with a switch?

• Do you leave the switch on and control the light with a hue lamp?
  • Do you leave the switch on and control the power by a socket switch?
  • Do you remove the switch from the cable and do one of the above?

Comments

• I do the second option, I bought cheap KaKu switches and control in that way.
    For the ones I want to dim, I bought the dimmer version of the socket switch.
    For the ones where there is a dimmer in the power cord I removed the dimmer in the power cord.

• I mostly leave the switch on, and turn the lights off with the Hue app or with the Hue tap.

In my bedroom and bathroom I also have Hue lights but only use the normal light switch. 90% of the time I just use the 'default' colors, sometimes I feel like setting a mood light in bed or bath. Then I just flip the switch and afterwards change the color.
    In bed I often read on my tablet and then turn it on with the switch, and turn it off with the Hue app on my tablet.

• Leave the switch on and control the power by a (on-top) socket switch. I find Hue lamps too expensive for "non-mood" lights (like a desktop light)

• Thanks guys, I didnt know leaving the switch on would be a good idea because of the power going trough the cord 24/7... But I guess that would not be a problem then.

• p0nts said:
    Thanks guys, I didnt know leaving the switch on would be a good idea because of the power going trough the cord 24/7... But I guess that would not be a problem then.

If you use a socket switch then there wouldn't be any current flowing if its switched off. You could "remove" the switch on the light too but I like to keep all my stuff in original order.

• DieterKoblenz said:

p0nts said:
    Thanks guys, I didnt know leaving the switch on would be a good idea because of the power going trough the cord 24/7... But I guess that would not be a problem then.

If you use a socket switch then there wouldn't be any current flowing if its switched off. You could "remove" the switch on the light too but I like to keep all my stuff in original order.

true, but currently I only have a philips hue bridge and therefore leaving the switch on and control with the hue lamp is the only option, as soon as I have my Homey I will buy some z-wave socket switches for this kind of cases.

• p0nts said :

That wont be a problem. I guess that you also leave power on your tv, modem, and a lot other appliances so why not a lamp.
    The energy usage of an hue in rest is about the same as a fibaro wallplug.
    also when you have them behind a switch and they get power they start whit the standard white.

I myself have them in the living room. Always under power.
    in bedroom I have one in the ceiling and the wallswitch exchanged for a "lasklem" and put the dimmer switch on top of it

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited December 2015

Wilbert said:

p0nts said :

That wont be a problem. I guess that you also leave power on your tv, modem, and a lot other appliances so why not a lamp.
    The energy usage of an hue in rest is about the same as a fibaro wallplug.
    also when you have them behind a switch and they get power they start whit the standard white.

I myself have them in the living room. Always under power.
    in bedroom I have one in the ceiling and the wallswitch exchanged for a "lasklem" and put the dimmer switch on top of it

havn't even thought about my tv hehe :) thanks!

Done this myself as well, without reading that post on tweakers (damn I feel innovative)

• Got myself another problem now, a few light bulbs are not working :( most likely I have to expand and make all my lights hue to make use of the mesh network.

• Luxury problems, an alternative would be living in a smaller house ;)

• jorden said:
    Luxury problems, an alternative would be living in a smaller house ;)

concrete walls ftw :)

• Hope fits somehow here w/o creating a new thread - Qube, currently on iindiegogo, sounds like a quite good solutin and cheaper than philips hue, plus without a hub. opinions? or better stay with a socket switch?

• tommyjaytommyjay Member
    edited December 2015

@Compadre I've ordered 10 Qubes, they're expected to ship in June. They have said that they will include an API and also plan on IFTTT.

This discussion has been closed.