This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

one wake word and other sugesions like amazon echo

bob76bob76 Member
edited November 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions

please change the wake word just to one word just like the amazon echo just uses Alexa to wake feels more natural than ok homey

just homey is way way more natural to wake it up or just a custom wake word would be nice to

Comments

• Not going to happen (or at least highly improbable). 
    They paid good money to have the 'ok homey' sampled for best recognition. 
  • I still wanna have it change to ' OK mottebal'  :D
  • bob76bob76 Member
    edited November 2016

Alexa works so much nicer because when you just say Alexa it wakes  dont get me wrong i like the homey even traded my Alexa for one but must say i needs to be smarter out of the box just like Alexa.

Alexa is way smarter from the beginning than the OK homey only better thing is all the wireless conections are on board at the homey.

the homey is more programmable but Alexa wins in a.i. by a mile sorry guys

Alexa plays Dutch radio stations out of the box this i miss very badly at the homey

example when you wiki on Alexa you just get the perfect recap when you ask ok homey wiki someone it reads all the page and not just the summary Alexa = the amazon echo

speech must be way better than now Alexa pics up almost anything  can't have a conversation with a word Alexa or Lexa in the same room and it activates homey laks in this you need to really clearly speak to get a command working.

dutch setting and YouTube vids made me change and support Athom but a lot of work is to be done

and for me very important the mini jack port is way to small guys aftermarket plugs don't fit so Hornbach or praxis or gamma enz enz cant help you need to go to a special store to make it fit

dutch setting did not try englisch ones

staff please comment?

• I had some issues here as well, but I always shouted "Hey homey" instead of "OK Homey". After changing to OK Homey it can even understand me from the other side of the room. My wife, my brother, myself. doesn't matter, all are recognized. Using English BTW as this is way more comfortable then the Dutch voices talking back.
  • @bob76 I agree with you, but please realize that you cannot honestly compare Amazon with Athom. Amazon is worth 250 BILLION dollars. They can easily spend tens of millions and hundred-thousands of people on AI and speech recognition. It doesn't put a dent in their savings account.
    Athom on the other hand is a start-up company consisting of less than 20 people, with funds from kickstarter (and I believe some investing round getting double-triple the kickstarter money).

Reality is, Amazon has literally over a thousand times more money to spend on this compared to Athom. Of course they will be better at certain aspects. It is incredibly unfair to expect from Athom to be on par with Amazon Echo.
  • @bob76 I agree with you, but please realize that you cannot honestly compare Amazon with Athom. Amazon is worth 250 BILLION dollars. They can easily spend tens of millions and hundred-thousands of people on AI and speech recognition. It doesn't put a dent in their savings account.
    Athom on the other hand is a start-up company consisting of less than 20 people, with funds from kickstarter (and I believe some investing round getting double-triple the kickstarter money).

Reality is, Amazon has literally over a thousand times more money to spend on this compared to Athom. Of course they will be better at certain aspects. It is incredibly unfair to expect from Athom to be on par with Amazon Echo.
    And even with that amount of money, only English is supported :)
  •  :D  LOL 

i know just some ideas and sugestions i know its beta guys i support homey al the way dont get me wrong
  • (yes I know I sound like a broken record but)  
    Opening the api a little bit so we can script text-to-be-send to homey would (imho) address the above somewhat 
    IFTTT is nice and works brilliantly, but if there is no internet you are dead in the water..
    I'd put a cheap android phone in every room listening to a "ok google" trigger and then send that recognized phrase to homey as if i was talking to homey    

If you want a voice operated device, alexa wins on recognition by several orders of magnitude.
    To in this Homey really sucks. They should use the old motto if you cannot beat them join them 
    If athom stops wasting time and money on the reinventing the wheel with the worst voice recognition software (even worse than TomTom), and spends time on building a interface to alexa, then within weeks we would have a world beating product.
  • umdobson said:
    If athom stops wasting time and money on the reinventing the wheel with the worst voice recognition software (even worse than TomTom)

Did you ever try to tomtom from a distance of more then two meters?
  • Today I released the Simon says app (https://apps.athom.com/app/homey.simon.says) as seen on Alexa.

Simple but very Nice to make fun if you have visitors coming over  :D

Check out this vid: 
  • umdobson said:
    If athom stops wasting time and money on the reinventing the wheel with the worst voice recognition software (even worse than TomTom)

Did you ever try to tomtom from a distance of more then two meters?
    No, but TomTom does work better than Homey, with the roof down at 50km per hour <grin>

My point is that Athome should maybe recognise their limitations (staff, time, money), and support input via Alexa, until they have sorted out other problems too.
  •  bob76 said:

Alexa works so much nicer because when you just say Alexa it wakes  dont get me wrong i like the homey even traded my Alexa for one but must say i needs to be smarter out of the box just like Alexa.

Alexa is way smarter from the beginning than the OK homey only better thing is all the wireless conections are on board at the homey.

the homey is more programmable but Alexa wins in a.i. by a mile sorry guys

Alexa plays Dutch radio stations out of the box this i miss very badly at the homey

example when you wiki on Alexa you just get the perfect recap when you ask ok homey wiki someone it reads all the page and not just the summary Alexa = the amazon echo

Yes, they should have a page where you can see predefined flows and import them. Kinda like IFTTT does.
    It would be a great help for people who just bought their homey or to get some inspiration. Don't know if they have anything planned like this.