This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Best tablet

Hi,
Maybe we could put links to found deals or just good priced tablets for on the wall in here.
We can put links to tablets on which you can run the homey app (with voice) and on which you can run HomeyDash.

Does not matter where they are sold as long as they are not expensive, and of reasonable/good quality.

I bought a cheap Chinese tablet thinking it would run the homey app but it did not. It does run HomyDash but it is really slow. So my tablet would not qualify for this  :)

greetings,
Aaron

Comments

• at the moment the homey app does not work that well on tablets, it is designed to function on a phone.

I have tried 3 different tables (2x android and 1x apple) and an all 3 i could not login properly.
    The keyboard was only show ahlf etc..

It seems athom is working on a special dashboard app for controlling homey, you better can wait until this app is released.
  • swtttswttt Member
    edited February 2017
    @Aaron great idea! Maybe you should post a link to this topic on the HomeyDash topic as well :smile: (I did already :smile: )
    The mediapad T1 from huawei that i own is quite slow as well. But does work okay for me. (might be a bit to small) Never felt the need for the official homey app tho, so haven't tested that.

@B3rt The dashboard is created with a tablet in mind. Not for a phone, it does work but some screens aren't adjusted yet. To bad it isn't working for your, could you post again in the HomeyDash topic so i might be able to resolve your issues? Can you tell on what devices you tested and what android/ios versions? What exactly isn't working etc. ?

The wait for the Athom Dashboard might take while tho. I thought it was planned around 1.3.0 or 1.4.0...correct me if i am wrong. 
  • swttt said:
    @B3rt The dashboard is created with a tablet in mind. Not for a phone, it does work but some screens aren't adjusted yet. To bad it isn't working for your, could you post again in the HomeyDash topic so i might be able to resolve your issues? Can you tell on what devices you tested and what android/ios versions? What exactly isn't working etc. ?

The wait for the Athom Dashboard might take while tho. I thought it was planned around 1.3.0 or 1.4.0...correct me if i am wrong. 
    I was refereing to the athom app which is not suitable for tablets, NOT 3th party app etc.
    So to buy a tablet to control homey is at the moment not a great idea, simpley because there are no decent apps to control homey with

Indeed a nice alternative is the dashboard app, but this NOT a standalone app but an app for homey and is stil beta and therefore not fully functional yet.
    It has great potentinial but at the moment it is still not 100% usable as dashboard (is my opinion), several functions you do want to do on a dashboard are not possible etc.
    The main reason that it will not be as good as a native app will be that it is a website and not a native app itself and therefore limited at the browser fucntions and ofcourrse homey (api) limitations itself.

But don't get me wrong, it is a very good addon and has great potentional and i really hope it wil develop in a great 'musthave' addon!
  • I am thinking about buying a lenovo tab2 a10-70f, the 16GB version is around 189 euro. Anybody has any experience with this tablet?
    It only has to run homeydash and maybe the HUE app in case of emergency.

• I have bought a asus zenpad z170c from iBood for half the normal price. It works great with HomeyDash! I have used the universal vogel wall mounting system. This can also be combined with the car mounting option to use the tablets for the kids (convincing my wife that I really needed the tables ;-) )

One remark is that the tablet has no approximation sensor which I wanted to use to automatically turn on the screen when approaching the tablet.

The other thing I was looking for was qi loading. I did find a nice qi module for tables which don't have qi build-in like this tablet here but I couldn't find a mounting item with build-in qi support. Another option is to use the ultra cheap and thin solution found here and combine this with a standard qi module and mount this to the wall. 
  • Perhaps a option: Archos 70 Oxygen 7 inch, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, 1920 x 1200 pixels, 32gb for 99 Euro.
    Miserable sound but that doesn't matter in this case.
  • i use myself an HPx10 slate tablet

U used it to run intellihome app on it (for my old controller)
  • @Jeroenski74 I have looked into using the front camera (if you have one on the tablet) as a motion sensor. Might take a while until i find time to do some tests with it, but hopefully i am getting it to work without using too much resources on the cpu :smile:
  • swttt said:
    @Jeroenski74 I have looked into using the front camera (if you have one on the tablet) as a motion sensor. Might take a while until i find time to do some tests with it, but hopefully i am getting it to work without using too much resources on the cpu :smile:
    Would be great, if I can help with (beta) tests please let me know!
  • Yes, this is what I meant by opening this discussion  :)
    It is easier for people to decide what tablet to buy if others already have experience with them.
    Nice to see that people tell what works and what does not and solutions to different problems.

@ispaapen, I think that one is a bit overkill for HomeyDash and therefore expensive. Unless you like the looks and build quality, which makes it worth the price for you.

A good thing to watch when you buy a android tablet and want to use it with the official app is if it does have support for OpenGL 2.0 ES. If it does not it wont run the app. I made that mistake with my el cheapo Chinese tablet.

I like HomeyDash and want to use it, but in the background I want the homey app to run so I can have voice control in other rooms.

@wilkel, the Archos 70 Oxygen seems like a nice one for a reasonable price. Does it support the app?

greetings,
    Aaron

PS. @B3rt, I have no problems login in on my iPad. But, yeah they should make a tablet version soon  ;)

• Oh yeah. @swttt, thanks for the link and for your great app(s)! Still enjoying the airplay app everyday!

greetings,
    Aaron
  • I've been using a Kindle Fire with Naked browser (for full screen as Silk browser doesn't cut it) for Honey Dash.
    Benefits: cheap, Alexa, works well with Echo Dot
    Deficits: sluggish, default browser no full screen, have to sideload most apps as no play store by default.
  • Aaron said:

PS. @B3rt, I have no problems login in on my iPad. But, yeah they should make a tablet version soon  ;)

They are allready working on it, 1 of the owners of athom told this on a demo of homey about weeks ago.
    Athom was going to focus more on a good and decent dashboard then the speech interface to control homey they told us.

The dashboard was on a high priority list because the speech was not at a level they hoped it would be, so he told.
  • @B3rt
    Ok, that is good to know.
  • chrisnash said:
    I've been using a Kindle Fire with Naked browser (for full screen as Silk browser doesn't cut it) for Honey Dash.
    Benefits: cheap, Alexa, works well with Echo Dot
    Deficits: sluggish, default browser no full screen, have to sideload most apps as no play store by default.
    I'm using a Fire also, but I flashed a custom rom on it.
    Benefits: no crappy Amazon apps on it, Play store available
    Deficits: no Alexa
  • And for those who have many, many, many devices per room, a 10" retina:
    http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_600333.html?wid=21

• Today i bought a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Wit with Vogels TMS 1010 universal wallmount.
    This is how it looks like with HomeyDash running.

• Looks really nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you get the app working also?

greetings,
    Aaron
  • yes the homey app also works, but because it's written for phones it's in portret instead of landscape. The wallmount can rotate 360 degrees, so that's not really a problem.
  • ispaapen said:
    Today i bought a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Wit with Vogels TMS 1010 universal wallmount.
    This is how it looks like with HomeyDash running.

Looks really nice. How do you charge it btw? Now it look like you just drains your battery. I've looked at this mount as well. Is it worth buying?
  • 50cm below is a power outlet, so i can charge it when needed without getting it off the wall. The screens turns off after a couple of minutes.
    However, i just noticed that the wall mount gives too much pressure on the tablet. When its in the wallmount there is some kind of oil stain in the middle, the same as when you press the screen. So i will return the mount back today and look for an alternative.

• And, can you use voice with the app in the background?
  • I use this:

Cost only a few euro (about 7 i believe)
  • Aaron said:
    And, can you use voice with the app in the background?
    Looks like voice is not working with the homey app running in the background. When the app is active and at the foreground it all works well.
  • hmmm, thats a shame :(
  • @ispaapen

Hm, I have exactly the same setup; the Lenovo tablet and the Vogel wall mount. Still waiting to be installed ... Will report back if I have similar issues!
  • Ok, please let me know if you don't have the same problem. Untill now i didnt find any good alternative.
  • iHolder seems to be a good alternative
  • Hi there, using HomeyDash with Safari. anyone tips on what type of ipad to use with Homey and Homeydash? want to by one. not the latest but an cheaper one. Happy Apple user so i want a ipad :-) thx in advance!