This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Event Logging and Viewing

Event logs provide historical information that can help you track some problems. Is it possible that we can view such information. If not can you put it on the wish list?

Comments

• GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited October 2016
    Your  question is already discussed here long ago:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/765/do-we-need-a-system-log/p1

I still see the benefit from a good log but there is no sign of long term detailed system logging....

For Debugging you can use @ErikVanDongen 's https://github.com/irritanterik/homey-realtime-logpage/

For long time events registration I personally use a private twitter where I can see what flows where triggered. 

And No, It still isn't on the Public timeline: https://trello.com/b/aYBmd9Ru/athom-s-public-timeline-for-homey ;
    So I guess Athom doesn't see the need for it, but you can always ask Athom / Emile  to put the wish on there list (and register it on Trello)
  • Somewhat more trouble... but I use a IFTTT script which adds a line to a google script. This is triggered by an email... I include the emails in flows...

A lot of trouble, but it works, and the advantage is that it only logs the things that you have programmed it to log :)
  • Is there someone interested in, and able to write, an app for logging to (eg) a Google Spreadsheet ?

Just adding a flow-card in the 'then' column could work.
    In settings you add (one or more) a logfile-name(s) that point to a specific sheet (so you can have more that one log-file).
    In the flow-card you select the desired sheet. Time/date information is written in the first 2 cells.
    A second field in the flow-card writes a variable name in the third cell.
    A third field in the flow-card writes the corresponding value.

Anyone ?
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited January 2017
    Maybe this is possible with IFTTT: If flow is triggered, then add row to spreadsheet in Google Drive.

The only thing is that you have to provide your own data in the flow. But that is already more than now is logged..
  • Good thinking.
    It's been a while, but I tried connecting Homey with IFTTT, never got it to work.
    But this might be a good incentive to try again.

Thanks!
  • I created a private and non-disclosed Twitter timeline where I log. Only my own Twitter can read. 
  • Well, I was trying to keep some historical data, twitter is not enough for me, it's good for reviewing the same day, but not for digging in the past.
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited January 2017
    Good thinking.
    It's been a while, but I tried connecting Homey with IFTTT, never got it to work.
    But this might be a good incentive to try again.

Thanks!
    At the moment it's a piece of cake to connect to IFTTT.com. And I just tested it, and it works. You can add rows to an Google Spreadsheet (Excel) with current date, name of the IFTTT-action in Homey, and data you put in the data field in the action. That data can for example be a 'tag'.

Unfortunately everyting from the data-field is put in an single cell, but if you put ; between data, you can later simpley split up the cells.
  • This is where I'm stuck:

I thought I'd see a list with my flows ?
  • First make a flow in Homey, and save it. Then wait a couple of minutes and make a new applet in IFTTT

• I can 't select that flow-card.
    The only IFTTT card in the 'then' (dan) column is 'Trigger IFTTT action', I don't see the 'Trigger IFTTT action with data' card.
  • I can choose between the 2 sorts of actions via the small arrows (driehoekjes)..

I have Home version v1.1.2 and the IFTTT app version v2.2.4

• I'm on IFTTT v1.0.3. But it seems there is an update available that wasn't installed automatically. Don't know why, because all other updates are installed the moment they are released.
    I'll try again.
  • I think the app isn't updated, but replaced by a new one. Just remove it and add it again via the app store. Then reconnect to IFTTT.com..
  • YvesGeffensYvesGeffens Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks.

I created a trigger (with data) in a flow.
    I now can see the flow in the dropdown box when creating an IFTTT action.
    While I 200% sure the flow (with the IFTTT trigger) is running, IFTTT says is has never run.
    Anything extra I have to do to make it work?

FYI:
    I first tried without creating the file.
    I then tried whit creating the correct path, and creating an empty spreadsheet with the chooses name.
  • This is how I configured it in IFTTT to collect changes in the presence score.

To test is, I've made the flow from a couple of posts above. If time = (2 minutes from now) then start IFTTT action.

It took about 2 minutes before I saw the spreadsheet in my Google drive.
  • I noticed this:
    " Created on Jan 27 2017
    • Never run

This Applet can be delayed by up to an hour"

Do I have to wait one hour before it's run for the first time ? That's weird.

• Strange. Here it works..
    • Created on Jan 27 2017
    • Last run less than a minute ago
    • Run 2 times

This Applet can be delayed by up to an hour

• Weird stuff going on.
    I added two triggers in Homey, this is the result in IFTTT

• YvesGeffensYvesGeffens Member
    edited February 2017
    The above problems disappeared just by being patient... After one day the drop down box contained only 1 event for each.

I also found that when trying to log to a spreadsheet you can easily separate the fields when you add 3 pipe symbols, like this:

I couldn't display the complete field, this is the full content of the data field:

For your convenience, I'll put the separator here for Copy/Paste:    ||| 
    As you can see, for readability, I added a blank before and after the | 

The first card logs the desired fields to a document, separated by a ";"
    The second card logs the fields to a spreadsheet, automatically putting the data each in it's own cell.

The IFTTT part looks like this (for the spreadsheet):

Thanks to all for your input, especially @keverjeroen !

• Great find,  about the pipes! Gonna edit my flows now. 
  • Someone who was at the user-day in Enschede said he had a bsic version of homey logging to mysql working... Don't know who it was anymore?
  • bvdbos said:
    Someone who was at the user-day in Enschede said he had a bsic version of homey logging to mysql working... Don't know who it was anymore?
    it wasn't me, but im going  to add these functions to the logger app.

• Wouldn't it be nice to have a flow card that would trigger an action 'When a(ny) flow is triggered'  with some tags like  #flowname #date and #time we could use so you don't have to add an action for logging events to every flow to get some idea of when an event was triggered?

I'm no developer, but that shouldn't be too hard to make, or am I wrong?

I would like this because sometimes I see somethong happening and I'm not exactly sure what flow triggered the event.
  • Good idea!

Sometimes a wonder what flow was triggered...