This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Garden gaten open /close detection

Leeuw1960Leeuw1960 Member
edited January 2017 in Questions & Help
i Would like to Find a way to detect When my garden gate is opend. But i can onley find indoor sensors. Has any one an idee How to solve this?

Comments

• @YvesGeffens Thanks for The tip
  • @Leeuw1960
    I forgot: the 'magnetic' contact is also called a 'reed' contact. You can connect it to any module that has a 'dry' contact or 'potential free' contact. As long as the module 'talks' to Homey, you're good.
  • Before investing money in this i would like to warn you about the range between homey and the device my kiku doorbel seems not to work normally unless i bring the doorbel inside closer in range to homey..   I know zwave should extend the range for each device added but for some reason it's not working for me
  • Floodnl said:
    Before investing money in this i would like to warn you about the range between homey and the device my kiku doorbel seems not to work normally unless i bring the doorbel inside closer in range to homey..   I know zwave should extend the range for each device added but for some reason it's not working for me
    Thanks @Floodnl but luckily my gate will be in range of Homey
  • Floodnl said:
    Before investing money in this i would like to warn you about the range between homey and the device my kiku doorbel seems not to work normally unless i bring the doorbel inside closer in range to homey..   I know zwave should extend the range for each device added but for some reason it's not working for me
    You're right! I had also some problems with the z-wave range. I placed a receiver on the top floor of my house to controll the ventilation unit. When I tested it on the kichen table (the homey is in the kichen) it work fine. Once I install the system on the top floor, it didn't work anymore.

So I ordered a Aeon Labs z-wave extender. This works fine to me. Perfect z-wave everyware in the house now..
  • Floodnl said:
    You're right! I had also some problems with the z-wave range. I placed a receiver on the top floor of my house to controll the ventilation unit. When I tested it on the kichen table (the homey is in the kichen) it work fine. Once I install the system on the top floor, it didn't work anymore.

So I ordered a Aeon Labs z-wave extender. This works fine to me. Perfect z-wave everyware in the house now..
    Awesome, thanks for the help i surely will get one 
  • i was using (/testing) an extender as well, but it didn't do the trick for my.
    I sent in back. I now have some fibaro wall plugs and they are working great, I even have reception in the basement.
  • i was using (/testing) an extender as well, but it didn't do the trick for my.
    I sent in back. I now have some fibaro wall plugs and they are working great, I even have reception in the basement.

Did you also use the Aeon Labs Extender? Or another brand?
  • An Aeon Extender.

I still do have some Aeon devices, the siren isn't working (know issue). Multisensor 6 (3 pieces) working great.
    1 Aeon recessed door sensor (not working). I had 4 of them, sent back 3 and kept 1 because I already drilled the hole in the door :-) So I hope it will work or I'll need some wood-filler... An  Aeon multisensor 4 (not working).

All my fibaro sensors (motion, door/window, wall plugs), 13 devices in total are working great. Untested, the binary sensor.

So, basically I can say that Fibaro is doing a good job, Aeon, hmmm... Except for the Multisensor 6 (with it's Recessor which really looks great!), no thanks.
  • These 12 Aeotec devices should work:
    https://github.com/athombv/com.aeotec/tree/master/drivers
    If there's devices which have to be added to the list you can file an issue or write a driver yourself... It might take some effort but it's doable. Also you can always ask for help on slack, here on the forum or in the issues...

These 24 Fibaro devices should work:
    https://github.com/athombv/com.fibaro/tree/master/drivers
  • I can confirm that, amongst others, the recessed door sensor is working. (Since july https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1785/aeotec-recessed-door-sensor-gen-5-working-on-0-9-1
  • I have earlier used Ideal security wireless door sensor for my outdoor gate.