This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

ring.com doorbell support on homey

Comments

• Menno said:
    @DennieDeGroot now busy with an flow to get the camera images on your TV and I think I found a way

What it does when there is motion at my door it checks my receiver if it's on and input is cable TV it switches to my PC (is just an android box) and after 30 sec it's moving back to cable TV

For it to work fast the android box needs to be on and the ring app needs to be open
    Made the same flow, but how you get the app to auto close the live-vieuw? It's draining my battery like this.
    I used a mibox mini.
  • @0burner0 yes I see that now it's recording 10 minutes this was always 30 sec for me strange (Maybe they changed something or got to do with android app) 

I found an app that can help maybe Autostart and StaY! (I have not tested yet) now it will be possible to power down the android box and start it again after ... sec but now when it starts it opens the ring app. Will do some testing later maybe
  • This flow works for me:  I use a MI-TV box mini and have HDMI-CEC enabeled. Remote has to be pressed , DOWN, SELECT (before you switch back from HDMI channel).

Now figuring out to go back to choosen origanal HDMI channel and not always to SAT/CBL. 

• Solved!!! Works like a charm!

1.png 2.7M
  • leadsratingleadsrating Member
    edited June 2017
    Does Skybell support Homey? I think it's an important matter to decide the winner of Ring vs Skybell battle. I currently own the Ring Pro but I'm currently considering to try out a new video doorbell. Skybell is my #1 choice right now but I'd like to know if it works with Homey.
  • Does Skybell support Homey? I think it's an important matter to decide the winner of Ring vs Skybell battle. I currently own the Ring Pro but I'm currently considering to try out a new video doorbell. Skybell is my #1 choice right now but I'd like to know if it works with Homey.
    you can search in the app store, there is no app for skybell -> https://apps.athom.com/search?query=Skybell If skybell has an API / protocol to communicate with just like Ring/Doorbird it can work with Homey but an app needs to be made
  • I'd like to ask a question about this... is is possible for Homey to take over the motion notifications for Ring?
    e.g. I'd like to turn off Ring app notifications for motion detection yet still get the (reduced distance) motion alarm via a homey notification

This would allow me to set periods where I get them (e.g. when my alarm is set) rather than getting them all the time

My assumption is that disabling motion alarms in the Ring app will disable them all together, but hoping I might be wrong 
  • vaderag said:
    I'd like to ask a question about this... is is possible for Homey to take over the motion notifications for Ring?
    e.g. I'd like to turn off Ring app notifications for motion detection yet still get the (reduced distance) motion alarm via a homey notification

This would allow me to set periods where I get them (e.g. when my alarm is set) rather than getting them all the time

My assumption is that disabling motion alarms in the Ring app will disable them all together, but hoping I might be wrong 
    I don't know if you will still receive notifications on the Homey App I have never tried this. So please try it and let us know if it works.
  • vaderag said:
    I'd like to ask a question about this... is is possible for Homey to take over the motion notifications for Ring?

I don't know if you will still receive notifications on the Homey App I have never tried this. So please try it and let us know if it works.
    That works, only Disable telefoon notification
  • 0burner0 said:
    vaderag said:

Is that by disabling the app notification at the OS level or by disabling motion notification in the Ring app?

The later will be fantastic but I still want to receive doorbell notification

Side note which I know is currently not possible: It would be great if you could set the action from a homey notification to open the ring app
  • mbnnmbnn Member
    edited March 2018
    Is a subscription (abonnement) necessary for Ring v2 when using it with Homey? Or will it work with Homey out of the box and no subscription is needed? :)

And can Homey then also record the image or something? 
  • No subscription is needed for doorbell/motion alarms, but you cannot record the images with Homey.
  • vaderag said:
    0burner0 said:
    vaderag said:

Is that by disabling the app notification at the OS level or by disabling motion notification in the Ring app?

The later will be fantastic but I still want to receive doorbell notification

Side note which I know is currently not possible: It would be great if you could set the action from a homey notification to open the ring app
    Just answered my own question - it works! You can disable motion alarms in Ring app and will still sent motion alarms to Homey for use
  • oliveolive Member
    Hi All,

First sory for my bad english, i have a doorbell 2 and when i go in homey to the ring app settings, i give my email and password then i go to devices and add the doorbell then comes a info go to settings give homey access. I checked my email and password everything is fine but i can not add the doorbell 2. Can please anybody help me. 

Thanks
  • @olive the ring doorbell 2 seems to me like a new model and it isn’t specifically mentioned as supported on the app, so perhaps @DennieDeGroot has to add support for it in the app before you are able to use it.
  • lucjlucj Member
    Hi,

I have the same problem like olive, if I give my correct credentials in the app nothing is happening. If I give wrong credentials in the app I receive a error. So the connection seems ok, but authentication is not working.
    I have the Ring Video Doorbell Pro.
  • Yes I am looking at it right now, something with the authentication is not working.
  • Ring changed their authentication method.....I implemented the new oauth method. Can anyone try it before I publish it to the app store? https://github.com/denniedegroot/com.ring
  • Is this going to be an issue for people who have previously authorised too or only for new?
  • Everyone needs the new App because the authentication is changed. The old method is blocked and does not work anymore.
  • lucjlucj Member
    Hey Dennie,

I want to test the new authentication method, but dont know how to do this.
    I see your new code on Github, but how do I add them to Homey?
    Is there somewhere a manual?

• @lucj ;https://developer.athom.com/docs/apps/tutorial-Getting Started.html gives a basic description of how you can upload apps to Homey.
  • lucjlucj Member
    Hey Dennie,

It worked, I can now authenticate at ring.
    I can also add the ring video door bell pro.
    I also created a small Homey flow, and that worked.
    The software is now version 2.0.1 (see below)

Thank you very much

• @lucj Great thanks for testing. I just updated the app in the app store so you can use that version now if you want. 
  • rabellrabell Member
    The app states support for ring pro but there's discussion here about ring doorbell V2.  Is V2 supported? Pro isn't an option for me as I need battery installation.
  • Will the doorbell V2 be supported anytime soon? I'm thinking of buying one but it would be good to know if it will work with Homey.
  • oliveolive Member
    Cokeisit said:
    Will the doorbell V2 be supported anytime soon? I'm thinking of buying one but it would be good to know if it will work with Homey.
    I have the doorbell 2 and have no problems.
  • SettleSettle Member
    I just tried and give correct credentials to the ring app within homey, but it denies access. Looks like still authentication doesn't work?
  • DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
    edited July 2018
    Settle said:
    I just tried and give correct credentials to the ring app within homey, but it denies access. Looks like still authentication doesn't work?
    Ring changed something in their API again.....ugh

Version 2.0.2 should solve this issue, please wait until this is released by Athom.
  • SettleSettle Member
    Settle said:
    Ring changed something in their API again.....ugh

Version 2.0.2 should solve this issue, please wait until this is released by Athom.
    Okay, thanks very much for your efforts :-)