This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

IR device (send only) - how to use as trigger

edited January 2017 in Devices
Hi all,
I just found an old alu apple remote and thought it would be cool to use that to trigger all kinds of flows, but when I try to add the IR remote device as a trigger, it doesnt allow me to make it a trigger. Why not? This would be so basically fun that i cannot imagine this isnt possible. 

cheers, eric

Comments

• glijieglijie Member
    edited January 2017
    Try this:

1 - adding an existing remote wich is in the library from athom(so not your own)
    2-  add/learn your signals from your remote you want to use(in your case the apple remote).
    3- delete the signals from the remote that you added at point 1
    4-  and then see if you can use the triggers in the IF column

Hope its is a little bit clear.  
  • edited January 2017
    OMG... worked with Samsung 'most models' to add at least the 'ok' button from the apple remote.. what a workaround.. hilarious and sad... but thanks glijie.

I will try more buttons in a bit. 
  • @glijlie what do yoy mean with 3- delete the signals from the remote that you added at point 1?
  • OMG... worked with Samsung 'most models' to add at least the 'ok' button from the apple remote.. what a workaround.. hilarious and sad... but thanks glijie.

I will try more buttons in a bit. 

I have the same problem , can you help?
  • ? That's not a problem :/ ?
  • hvhol said:
    @glijlie what do yoy mean with 3- delete the signals from the remote that you added at point 1?
    if it is correct , you add a remote at point 1 wich you do not have, so those signals don't work for you. I assume
  • Hi all,
    I just found an old alu apple remote and thought it would be cool to use that to trigger all kinds of flows, but when I try to add the IR remote device as a trigger, it doesnt allow me to make it a trigger. Why not? This would be so basically fun that i cannot imagine this isnt possible. 

cheers, eric

THis is the problem
  • hvhol said:
    Hi all,

cheers, eric

THis is the problem
    and you did read the solution?
  • I have been able to add it succesfully, and removed all the samsung buttons (old model option in homey) and it kinda works, but not very stable.. but the remote i found after not having it used for more then 2-3 years... so maybe the battery isnt the best anymore 
  • This also happens because it is IR, it's an technique which is very problematic. Usually you don't notice that as you get visual feedback (tv goes on) or you just keep the button pressed till it goes on. But getting more out of it can be hard...New batteries will most certainly help :)
  • glijie said:
    hvhol said:
    Hi all,

cheers, eric

THis is the problem
    and you did read the solution?

Yes thnx it still won't work , I have an new samsung tv with soundbar ik learned the buttons homey accepts i give a name but in the flow in the "Then" where I tols push that button nothing works
    Hi all,

cheers, eric

THis is the problem
  • And THIS is ur solution!
  • Yes this solution works, but only for a day (or reboot)
    I experience some problems:

Not every remote works, i select a Philips in the homey and try a demon remote control. it doesn’t work. With a sharp it works.
    I cannot add a 6th button. it doesn’t respond to any button.
    If I select a 5th button, and add the remote. i got a error message (Session invalid)
    If I add 4 buttons, it work for a while, after a day, it doesn’t response to any button.

Anybody the same problems or a solution?

• I added IR remote for my panasonic fan but sadly i cant use voice command to ask homey to operate with it ... :( sad sad any help 
  • @erictksmaybe check 1 of ur other topics. Asking 4 times in different topics is not gonna help u or others.
  • Robvd said:

Yes this solution works, but only for a day (or reboot)
    I experience some problems:

Not every remote works, i select a Philips in the homey and try a demon remote control. it doesn’t work. With a sharp it works.
    I cannot add a 6th button. it doesn’t respond to any button.
    If I select a 5th button, and add the remote. i got a error message (Session invalid)
    If I add 4 buttons, it work for a while, after a day, it doesn’t response to any button.

Anybody the same problems or a solution?

No one?
  • BenMBenM Member
    Hello,

Is this solution still working for you guys. I get 'only sending' ir device? And I can't add any new button on any generic device?
  • BenM said:
    Hello,

Is this solution still working for you guys. I get 'only sending' ir device? And I can't add any new button on any generic device?
    Bump! Also interested in this
  • no need to bump a post with less then five hours of inactivity...
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1023
  • bvdbos said:
    no need to bump a post with less then five hours of inactivity...
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1023
    Sorry, just an enthusiast. However, as I understand correctly, the above workaround is not possible anymore with 1.5.6-rc7 and above?
  • TonyBTonyB Member
    Any update on this?