This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Can Homey speak?

Hello all.

I have an idea for Homey to announce who is calling by grabbing inbound caller ID's via asterisk.

Will Homey ever speak to you, and if not would it have the ability to do so, ie not playing a file to a speaker, but instead text to speach-ing to a speaker (ie it generates a file to play) or is there an opensource project out there that Homey could use to accomplish this?

Thanks, James.

Comments

• Homey is able to speak, you can actually see this in the demo videos :)
  • Clearly I'm behind in my updates then, awesome.

But still the other part of my question stands - can I tell homey what to say and it'll spit it out somewhere?

Where do I find these demo videos, or are they just listed in updates?

Thanks, James.
  • edited March 2015
    I think they are on their facebook page, maybe on the kickstarter too. In the flow editor demos you can see them specifying what Homey should say (they type it in) so yes, it appears you could create your own custom responses.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Yes, you can make Homey speak yourself by flow editor, or by programming: Homey.say( ... )
  • Or a REST API call from outside the device:
    https://developers.athom.nl/docs/
  • Does support at the Release Time the German Language speak Output too? Thanks for your answer
    Jawohl
  • Just a small question. Will Homey be able to detect which language is used?
    For example in my case I speak dutch and my girlfriend speaks French. It would be easy if Homey could detect the language and replied in that language.

• DieterKoblenzDieterKoblenz Member
    edited November 2015

It was probably on here before, but what TTS engine will you use for Homey?

• DieterKoblenz said:
    It was probably on here before, but what TTS engine will you use for Homey?

Back in May, Emile said it was Ivona (ivona.com). Don't know if they've managed to switch to a better one by now...

• Dutch - Ruben sounds pretty good. But I'd prefer a flemish voice if possible :-)

• JaapPeltJaapPelt Member
    edited November 2015

btwvince said:
    Just a small question. Will Homey be able to detect which language is used?
    For example in my case I speak dutch and my girlfriend speaks French. It would be easy if Homey could detect the language and replied in that language.

I prefer to have my phone set to an English interface, but that means I cannot use Dutch voice recognition or dutch text-to-speech for navigation. I would really like if Homey would be able to configure UI, voice recognition and TTS separately.

Also, searching for an english movie title while it is set to Dutch generally doesn't work very well. I'm curious to see how Homey does it, but expecting Homey to do better than Android would not be reasonable. (Still keeping my finger crossed though)

• edited November 2015

@Fire69 +1 :-)

• JaapPelt said:

I would really like if Homey would be able to configure UI, voice recognition and TTS separately.

+1

• JaapPelt said:

I would really like if Homey would be able to configure UI, voice recognition and TTS separately.

+1
    (lots of +1'ing going on lately :-P )

I'm sorry guys, but Homey can be one language at a time.

Maybe we can change this later when we introduce extended multi-user support (together with triggering speech per user), but that requires some good thinking so I'm not 100% sure about that.

• Acceptable. I would not do it if it doesn't work perfectly. good voice recognition is hard already and multilanguage only makes it harder. Besides, there are more important things on the to-do list.

• Yes, acceptable, I think multi-user support is most important for the succes in at least my (our) household. For us backers the geek factor is enough to like homey, for my wife and son it 'just has to work' for them to want to use it.

This discussion has been closed.