This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Mark Zuckerberg's Home AI system

Interesting read about Mark Zuckerberg's efforts to create a 'JARVIS' for his home.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/building-jarvis/10154361492931634

Very nice to see what he wants and thinks is necessary and possible.
For example, he is planning on using speech simply by making an always-on-app for iPhones and androids and having a few of those phones laying around the house.

Comments

• This part is very interesting:

"One thing that surprised me about my communication with Jarvis is that when I have the choice of either speaking or texting, I text much more than I would have expected. This is for a number of reasons, but mostly it feels less disturbing to people around me. If I'm doing something that relates to them, like playing music for all of us, then speaking feels fine, but most of the time text feels more appropriate. Similarly, when Jarvis communicates with me, I'd much rather receive that over text message than voice. That's because voice can be disruptive and text gives you more control of when you want to look at it. Even when I speak to Jarvis, if I'm using my phone, I often prefer it to text or display its response.

This preference for text communication over voice communication fits a pattern we're seeing with Messenger and WhatsApp overall, where the volume of text messaging around the world is growing much faster than the volume of voice communication. This suggests that future AI products cannot be solely focused on voice and will need a private messaging interface as well. Once you're enabling private messaging, it's much better to use a platform like Messenger than to build a new app from scratch. I have always been optimistic about AI bots, but my experience with Jarvis has made me even more optimistic that we'll all communicate with bots like Jarvis in the future."

• edited December 2016
    Homey has a Messenger bot as well. Don't have it installed yet. But my expectation is that you can text your Homey via Facebook Messenger.
    Personally I don't prefer text above speech. Because when I use my phone, I just toggle my devices via the app. I don't text the app when I can click (I find texting way harder then just some clicks).

Update: found it https://www.facebook.com/homeymessenger/
  • The Homey Facebook messenger is awesome. You can type whatever you want to Homey, and Homey will act as if you said it by speech.
  • It just shows, once the big players REALLY kick into action Athom better have a large market share. Or...
  • Nice, that Morgan Freeman and Schwarzie voice :)

• Jarvis has a bigger WAF than Homey at the moment.. :p 

Because it's probably mostly fake...  ;)

It was on the news yesterday day, 'almost a million downloads!' 
    Well, I'd like to see a link to download it! 
  • Yeah, probably all fake. Who is filling the t-shirt cannon and the bread toaster? And now everyone can enter his house (print a photo of his head and show it to the outdoor cam).

But still funny videos..
  • Yeah, probably all fake. Who is filling the t-shirt cannon and the bread toaster? And now everyone can enter his house (print a photo of his head and show it to the outdoor cam).

But still funny videos..
    Cannon and toaster are maybe the only real things in the video (if you fill them manually yourself...)
    But I would need some pretty solid evidence before I believe that Morgan Freeman can react that lifelike to his 'commands' :)
  •  Hmmm... That Morgan Freeman voice is great, but it also makes me wonder... What is Homey thinking about while it seems to do nothing?! :o
  •  Hmmm... That Morgan Freeman voice is great, but it also makes me wonder... What is Homey thinking about while it seems to do nothing?! :o
    I have no faith anymore in homey voice. I had a chat with the developer on the homey day. I don't think he will ever solve it. There was no plan and the only thing I heard it is hard and I am just alone. 
  • You heard that from Emile?
    I have no faith anymore in homey voice. I had a chat with the developer on the homey day. I don't think he will ever solve it. There was no plan and the only thing I heard it is hard and I am just alone. 
    My son has a Meccano MeccaNoid robot. I believe it is a small Arm processor with 64 Mb flash memory. You can voice control it ( multi language ) and it works 90% of the time perfectly. No internet connection needed and no learning phase for the robot. At the moment they have version 2.0 in the store with even better voice control with what they call Natural language support. So, it is possible.
  • Great article,thanks for sharing.