This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

What is possible? Should i buy Homey?

JschuetzJschuetz Member
edited December 2016 in Questions & Help
Hey,

today i am using Home-Assistant, MagicMirror + Hombridge with Hue (Lamps + Motion Sensor), Sonos (4x Play 1), Lifx, Tado and Z-Wave Stick with Z-wave power plugins.

But i plan to buy a homey.

My targets/points:

- Presence Detection with the native App (IOS & Android 6). (Owntracks needs to much power on my devices)

- Z-Wave Motion Sensors & power relais support

- Change the normal Switches with Z-Wave ready Switches in the Floor. ( We have 6 LED Spots and 3 normal Lamps) It is to expensive to change all lamps, so i will change the switches.

- Homebridge would be very nice ( But if there is no app, i will use it only for HUE, Sonos). It's easier and faster to use the official ios control center for homekit devices. Unless widget is supported

- Rules like, if all persons leave the house -> switch all devices off
- German Language, isn't still available now, but when is the official release date?
- Native Apps:  Widget Support for fast and easy using? (IOS & Android)
- Magic Mirror rest api?
- TVOS App (ATV4) ?

Thank you very much, would you buy Homey again?

Comments

• - With regard to "would you buy Homey again"... see also this thread.

- German language - no official word yet when this will become available, so it may take a while... I hope you're comfortable with using english instead.

- everything else:
    I hope others, with more experience in the specific fields, can answer those. All I can say is, don't count on everything working flawlessly right out of the box. If that is what you expect/need, then it's definitely too early to buy Homey.

• homey have presence detection with the app from homey it self
    • z-wave is supported from some companies. check https://apps.athom.com for support of your z-wave devices
    • homebridge is currently that i know not supported
    • u can make so many rules if you want. i have also a rule if everyone left turn of light an set temperature down.
    • German language, i have no idea.
    • no widget support current avalable in the homey app
    • magic mirror api not support but u can build an app for it ;)
    yes i would buy a homey again. it is a open platform where i can develop my own supported apps.

• Magic Mirror is quite cool. Might look into that soon :) I don't think it would be too much work to send 'updates' to its API.

Homebridge is something really interesting. I love Siri and would love to have support for a lot of equipment through Homey. Not sure how much will be possible in this area.
  • patrickbr said:
    • z-wave is supported from some companies. check https://apps.athom.com for support of your z-wave devices
    • u can make so many rules if you want. i have also a rule if everyone left turn of light an set temperature down.
    yes i would buy a homey again. it is a open platform where i can develop my own supported apps.

In the chat room, someone said that presence detection with android isn't working. Can you submit this?
  • Jschuetz said:
    Hey,

today i am using Home-Assistant, MagicMirror + Hombridge with Hue (Lamps + Motion Sensor), Sonos (4x Play 1), Lifx, Tado and Z-Wave Stick with Z-wave power plugins.

But i plan to buy a homey.

My targets/points:

- Presence Detection with the native App (IOS & Android 6). (Owntracks needs to much power on my devices)

- Rules like, if all persons leave the house -> switch all devices off

Thank you very much, would you buy Homey again?

I'm very happy with my Homey. 

Since you are using Tado (and I do too) I suggest you use Tado for presence detection. I use Tado in combination with IFTTT and it works like a charm. The Tado app doesn't use much power.
    This way the lamps are already on when I arrive (Tado Home Mode) and the Sonos in the livingroom will play as soon as the motion detector sees me (Home Mode + Detection). It switches off whenever Tado goes to Away Mode.

I'm not very fond of the precence detection from the Homey app. It is not that reliable.
  • Jschuetz said:
    patrickbr said:

In the chat room, someone said that presence detection with android isn't working. Can you submit this?
    I'm using the better presence app, which basically looks for connections of a device with static IP. This works accurately within ~5 minutes. It's not perfect for turning lights on, but for heating and turning lights off, it works good.
  • Jschuetz said:
    patrickbr said:

I'm using the better presence app, which basically looks for connections of a device with static IP. This works accurately within ~5 minutes. It's not perfect for turning lights on, but for heating and turning lights off, it works good.
    That's the badest solution. Many Devices are in standby mode or offline at the night and then the system thinks i am not at home. For example i have used nmap in home assistant with static device ips and the ios devices goes offline in the night. But i think the Tado with IFTTT Solution could work.  @Yellow how is the time between the devices? Tado with Lifx for example has a delay between 1-10 minutes. That means, i am in the house and it's still dark....
  • @Yellow how is the time between the devices? Tado with Lifx for example has a delay between 1-10 minutes. That means, i am in the house and it's still dark.... 
    Most of the time it works great. However, there are 2 scenario's
    1. Works: Tado sees that I'm arriving in 10 minutes and the lights are on and music is playing when I arrive.
    2. Not working at this moment (since I typed it out and found the sollution this isn't a big problem): I say goodbye to Homey (a manual flow which means all Hue lights and Sonos off) and I'm only going to a place near to my house. In that case Homey doesn't see I'm arriving (since Tado was never in Away Mode). Now that I'm thinking about that, I can program Homey to just time out for 10 minutes and after movement is noticed and I'm still home (stating Tado never changes status) I can just follow the Arriving Home flow.

Delay is around 3 minutes but this is not a problem since Tado goes to Home mode before you arrive. In case Tado doesn't work or is disconnected I have a manual flow which triggers the same Bitflip as Tado: Home: true/false. 
    And since Tado gives me a light sensor reading I use Tado to give a second status: dark or light outside. 
    These two connected give me the following rules
    - Away (Home Bitflip: false): Everything off, motion sensor triggers alarm
    - Home (Home Bitflip: true):
           - Dark outside (Light Bitflip: true): lights on, Sonos on depending on time
           - Light outside (Light Bitflip: false): lights off, Sonos on depending on time

I hope this is helpfull for you. 
  • Jschuetz said:

That's the badest solution. Many Devices are in standby mode or offline at the night and then the system thinks i am not at home. For example i have used nmap in home assistant with static device ips and the ios devices goes offline in the night. But i think the Tado with IFTTT Solution could work.  @Yellow how is the time between the devices? Tado with Lifx for example has a delay between 1-10 minutes. That means, i am in the house and it's still dark....
    I'm using a time-out of 15 minutes, and I keep my WiFi on during the night. I never had problems with Homey thinking I left my home at night.
    Nonetheless, there are many solutions for this problems, and everyone has to find out what works best for themselves.
  • Maybe there is an WEB API to set the home status with an http post? Then i could use an ibeacon for android and ios!
  • Jschuetz said:
    Maybe there is an WEB API to set the home status with an http post? Then i could use an ibeacon for android and ios!
    Take a look at https://apps.athom.com/app/net.i-dev.betterlogic.
    You can set the value of any variable via a simple http post command. You can command flows by 'if variable X changed and variable X is Y, then do Z'
  • Jschuetz said:

Nonetheless, there are many solutions for this problems, and everyone has to find out what works best for themselves.

Seriously? 
  • KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited December 2016
    MHubert said:
    Jschuetz said:

Seriously? 
    Yes. Everyone has to find out what works best for themselves. I don't want a Tado, and wifi-based presence works GREAT for me. I understand that it doesn't work great for everyone though.

Some people want Z-wave devices because of their better accuracy and knowledge of on/off states, some people want KaKu for their cheapness. Everyone has to find out what works best for themselves.
  • Big lol on presence detection. 
  • MHubert said:
    Big lol on presence detection. 
    indeed a Big lol for smart presence over here.  Before me and the rest of the familie stick the key in the lock,
    smart presencce has detected us. 

Great app! For us.
  • Jschuetz said:
    Maybe there is an WEB API to set the home status with an http post? Then i could use an ibeacon for android and ios!
    You can set the value of any variable via a simple http post command. You can command flows by 'if variable X changed and variable X is Y, then do Z'

Ok and it is possible to set this with a authentification request? I will use it over wan! 
  • Jschuetz said:
    Jschuetz said:

Ok and it is possible to set this with a authentification request? I will use it over wan! 
    Yes, this is possible (according to the settings of the app), but I do not know specifics about it.
  • MHubertMHubert Member
    edited December 2016
    glijie said:
    MHubert said:
    indeed a Big lol for smart presence over here.  Before me and the rest of the familie stick the key in the lock,

Great app! For us.

Which techs/apps are you using? Reading almost only bad stories about the Android presence detection with homey. 
  • MHubert said:
    glijie said:
    MHubert said:

Great app! For us.

Which techs/apps are you using? Reading almost only bad stories about the Android presence detection with homey. 
    yes, i read them too but for some reason it works here very good. I use the app "Smart Presence" the presence detection wich is build in, is indeed not working over here.

after installing i gave the phones a fixed IP-adress

it seems that it won't work that good with an iphone (only confirmed by 1 or 2 persons) here we all use android,
    two galaxy s7 and one A3(2016)

• As Bumblez said: 
    Bumblez said:
    - With regard to "would you buy Homey again"... see also this thread.

Homey is a cutting edge/bleeding edge platform.
    If you want a finished and polished product which you plug in and just works, you should find another product.
    If you want a lot of flexibility and the power create powerful flows, Homey is for you.

• @glijie ;
    OK, so the Mediamarkt/retail experience isn't ,at least for android, there (yet). 

@JaapPelt ;
    I thought homey was already "finished" with the 1.0.0 version and retail version. 
  • djeskodjesko Member
    edited December 2016
    MHubert said:
    @glijie ;
    OK, so the Mediamarkt/retail experience isn't ,at least for android, there (yet). 

@JaapPelt ;
    I thought homey was already "finished" with the 1.0.0 version and retail version. 
    Here comes the bad swede,  everything that you have written today is just negative stuff!    take a break!    

• Negative?

Realistic you mean. 

1.0.0 was brought as stable and that should it be for retail. Or 'm I wrong on that? 
  • djesko said:
    MHubert said:
    @glijie ;

@JaapPelt ;
    Here comes the bad swede,  everything that you have written today is just negative stuff!    take a break!    

@MHubert You don't have a Homey, do you? Or not anymore? Not enough MM experience out of the box?
  • JaapPelt said:
    As Bumblez said: 
    Bumblez said:

If you want a finished and polished product which you plug in and just works, you should find another product.
    If you want a lot of flexibility and the power create powerful flows, Homey is for you.

A mix of both would be perfect. For example home assistant is okay but sometimes it's buggy and you have to spend too much time in it. I need a solution, which is stable running if i have configured it. I don't wanna buy a system for 300€ and configure it every 2 weeks again. 
  • djesko said:
    MHubert said:
    @glijie ;

@JaapPelt ;

@MHubert You don't have a Homey, do you? Or not anymore? Not enough MM experience out of the box?

Is this a constructive on-topic reply?
    What has me (not) owning a Homey to do with this?

I follow most GitHub issues, read Slack and also follow a lot of forum posts. So i think i have a good general idea on Homey status.

On presence detection I said that OOTB it isn't working that good with Android. Some say it is working, but the use other solution with, for example better presence were people need things like a RaspberryPi/Tado/Nest. I think its a bit unfair to say that presence detection is working flawlessly when somebody (bought) a Raspberry/Tado/Nest device which is doing detection for him. The same goes for IR were a lot of people bought a Harmony Hub (because of the lack of good IR support by Homey) and there it would also be unfair to say; IR is working great with Homey and my Harmony. 

Its the OOTB feature set that matters now for most of the new people. Not the Geek set were people can buy and install all sorts of extra stuff to overcome the missing advertised features were its been sold with.

• Jschuetz said:
    JaapPelt said:
    As Bumblez said: 
    Bumblez said:

A mix of both would be perfect. For example home assistant is okay but sometimes it's buggy and you have to spend too much time in it. I need a solution, which is stable running if i have configured it. I don't wanna buy a system for 300€ and configure it every 2 weeks again. 
    In the early days, I had to reconfigure some flows after an update, but is was rare even then. These days, bugs are minor and rare.
    Athom is not a huge company like apple of google, but they do focus on quality and user experience.

MHubert said:
    @JaapPelt ;
    I don't know why you would imply that I said that Homey was not finished. Taking words out of context does not appear to add to the discussion.
  • MHubert said:
    djesko said:
    MHubert said:
    @glijie ;

@JaapPelt ;

Is this a constructive on-topic reply?
    What has me (not) owning a Homey to do with this?

I follow most GitHub issues, read Slack and also follow a lot of forum posts. So i think i have a good general idea on Homey status.

On presence detection I said that OOTB it isn't working that good with Android. Some say it is working, but the use other solution with, for example better presence were people need things like a RaspberryPi/Tado/Nest. I think its a bit unfair to say that presence detection is working flawlessly when somebody (bought) a Raspberry/Tado/Nest device which is doing detection for him. The same goes for IR were a lot of people bought a Harmony Hub (because of the lack of good IR support by Homey) and there it would also be unfair to say; IR is working great with Homey and my Harmony. 

Its the OOTB feature set that matters now for most of the new people. Not the Geek set were people can buy and install all sorts of extra stuff to overcome the missing advertised features were its been sold with.
    You are right. It isn't my target to use many different hubs. The ir function is a good example. I have still a tado Bridge, hue bridge, pi for MagicMirror and homebridge. that are enough hubs and a problem because all there are all need  power, space, Ethernet Connection and the stupid led. In my eyes that is the main problem today. And the reason to change home assistant. Cause I don't wanna use owntracks (gps) or a ping solution (problem with power) for presence tracking. A smart solution would be if the main app of the device would push the change to the hub. 

• Jschuetz said:
    JaapPelt said:
    As Bumblez said: 
    Bumblez said:

I am definately not configuring my Homey every 2 weeks again. There has been a couple of problems during EXPERIMENTAL updates in the PAST which caused people to re-make flows. This has not happened for me in the past 3-4 months, and I do not expect it to happen ever again.
    The problem with people stating that Homey is 'instable' is caused by things such as the fact that the Z-wave range can change between Homey updates, or that the interpretation of your speech can differ (not always for the better) between updates. If you're looking for a system that turns on lights on a motion in an appartement, or change your heating with a Klik-aan-klik-uit button, then Homey will be more than stable enough for you.
  • MHubertMHubert Member
    edited December 2016
    JaapPelt said:

Jschuetz said:
    JaapPelt said:
    As Bumblez said: 
    Bumblez said:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> If you want a finished and polished product which you plug in and just works, you should find another product.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MHubert said:
    @JaapPelt ;
    I don't know why you would imply that I said that Homey was not finished. Taking words out of context does not appear to add to the discussion.
    Didn't took you words out of context. Just gave a response to your post (see ">>>" bold) and my reaction below (also in bold)

You said ">>>" and I read it as; People who are looking for a finished product shouldn't by Homey because it isn't finished.

So you cursive text is a bit strange if I look at your first sentence.