This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Is IR not working anymore? Is it disabled?

2»

Comments

• OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited December 2016

I took a remote control (iRobot Roomba)  and made Homey learn a few signals. Then I took my phone and used the camera to take a look at the IR-radiation. Homey's IR radiation is really really weak compared to the original remote control.

Are you guys/girls (the creators) sure that the ring is not blocking/filtering IR, just like glass does?

And... a little off-topic but comparable... as a sound engineer I know that high sound frequencies are damped by almost all materials. Are you sure that the speech recognition is not disturbed because high frequencies (example: s- and t-sounds) are filtered by the plastic cover??

• MHubert said:
    Martijn27 said:
    Just an update from my end here: I can use IR pretty effectively now, so I'm a happy camper in that regard. Only thing that doesn't work is the IR for KPN iTV, but that's a known issue. Weird thing is that neither the IR remote that's in the DB works (and also doesn't respond to key presses on the actual remote), nor the learned remote.

If I try to switch the set top box on, homey complains about the signal it should send with the learned codes (can't recall, something about too short code needing to be odd or something, can reproduce upon request). Nor does the homey send any IR signal to the iTV at all (no light is shown through a camera).
    Hé happycamper, 

Could you share what you did tot make it work? 
    I just followed the wizard and added all the buttons on the remotes. Only the KPN remote doesn't work so far...
  • I have to agree on this. Better not to use IR unless you place your homey in front of all your devices. Better use any other option (if any) to control your tv, receiver etc.
    But wasn't this (just 1 device to control 'everything' in our house), one of the most important functions of Homey?
  • MHubertMHubert Member
    edited December 2016
    Rob_B said:
    I have to agree on this. Better not to use IR unless you place your homey in front of all your devices. Better use any other option (if any) to control your tv, receiver etc.
    But wasn't this (just 1 device to control 'everything' in our house), one of the most important functions of Homey?

IR is sold, it's strongly advised to not use it anymore and use devices with apps or buy an awesome Harmony Elite (REALLY awesome and great product!!). 
  • MHubert said:
    Rob_B said:
    I have to agree on this. Better not to use IR unless you place your homey in front of all your devices. Better use any other option (if any) to control your tv, receiver etc.

IR is sold, it's strongly advised to not use it anymore and use devices with apps or buy an awesome Harmony Elite (REALLY awesome and great product!!). 
    I know it's advised, but that's very weird. Buy new devices or another device to do the job for Homey.
    Homey was sold to connect to all devices (Homey verbindt met al je apparaten en maakt ze benaderbaar op één centrale plek.)...
  • I know, but the common statement is that IR is old and therefore very hard to make it work. 
    Also it looks like several Homeys have problems with the casing and IR signals coming out of the dome. 
    Therefore its strongly advised to check the placing of Homey to you IR devices, not to far, not to close, to low, not to high. 
  • and try different angles, try turning around. There's six tranmitters in Homey....
  • Today I received an email concerning the newsletter of Athom.  There they "advertise" the option to start Home cinema with Homey.
    Since the day I received Homey, i am still waiting on Athom to solve the issue that it is impossible to operate my Telfort
    set op box with infrared.
    So what do I mis here??? 
    It looks to me that Athom is ignoring its customers.
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited June 2017
    It is like they great success story about the (non existent) voice control. Misleading future customers. Ridiculous. 
    Great long term strategy.
  • BramBram Member
    @bschoppi What did you already try to get the IR working?
  • It is not that ir is't working, its not working on the set top box of telfort/kpn, the Arcadyan hbm2260.
    I tryed everything, even enlarged the holes in front of the ir transmitters.

• VicdBVicdB Member
    Today I tried adding a Samsung TV remote for testing purposes. After adding one from the dabase, Homey didn't react to the remote, so I manually added the remote by learning Homey the buttonpresses.
    However, now I cannot add my new learned device into the 'IF' panel in a flow..? Into 'THEN'' is without problem though, but still useless...?

• B3rtB3rt Member
    also having problems with IR.

I learned a few buttons from my receivers remote,had to press the button several times and then i saved it.

Sadly when i use it in a flow nothing happens, the device does not respond.
    Tried to learn an other device, learning also not problem but when i use it in a flow nothing happens.
  • madmaxmadmax Member
    Same here
  • swtttswttt Member
    The thing is that they are trying to replace the standard IR database with IR apps. (The first one is in the appstore already: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.samsung.ir  )

Then its possible to send and receive IR on homey (as far as how i understanded it).
    It should improve, but you might have to wait until your brand is added as well...
  • B3rtB3rt Member
    swttt said:
    The thing is that they are trying to replace the standard IR database with IR apps. (The first one is in the appstore already: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.samsung.ir  )

Then its possible to send and receive IR on homey (as far as how i understanded it).
    It should improve, but you might have to wait until your brand is added as well...
    OK and how to get learned IR command to work then?

The problem is i have 1 devices (pioneer receiver) which i only need 1 button to simulate, the receiver is a few years old, not likely there will be a app for this devices released soon.

The option to learn seemed a good solution, learning seems to be working according the Homey interface, now only transmitting the learned signal :)