This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey viable in germany?

Hey, I am thinking of buying Homey. I followed it since kickstarter and wanted to see how it evolves.

Browsing this forum and the appstore I see a lot of dutch only apps and a the most recent threads are in dutch.

My concern: After this promising international campaing it looks more like a local product for me now.

Comments

• KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited December 2016
    There are some dutch apps (although I think there are VERY little apps that can only be used in The Netherlands), because indeed most of the customers live in NL. Having said that, I think 90%+ of the apps work world-wide, and speech support is both english and dutch in Homey.
    The forum is supposed to be english-only for this reason, but again, due to the larger-than-average dutch customer base, some threads are in dutch. However, I don't think an english thread gets less replies than a dutch thread.

Also, as far as I know, Athom will include a German translation for Homey at some point in the future.
  • NattelipNattelip Member
    edited December 2016
    the only app only dutch is buienradr.nl  the dutch www.niederschlagsradar.de  ,toon  and woonweilig , the latter maybee has a german counterpart klika is also sold in germany  Click-On-Click-Off (CoCo), only on an other name from one of our energy companies.  maybe a missed one . but far the most can be used in whole eu. the Fritzbox app is  also for German users 

Besides the forum there is Slack which is englisch , i thought the forum was english too .

the company Athom is just a few miles from the german border. 

there is even a Tsjech programming apps for Homey.

join domotica point 3 0.3

Willkommen !!
  • Given that Homey was developed in the Netherlands, and a large amount of the people using it are in the Netherlands, it's no surprise that there are also a number of Dutch apps developed. But Homey's hardware is quite universal, and there are also several apps that can be used anywhere. And there is no reason why you (or someone else) couldn't also create apps that are targeted at functionality or devices only used in Germany.
    And yes, there will be some Dutch threads on the forum, but overall, I think most of the forum is still in english.

On the other hand, even though both Homey and the apps are getting more and more elaborate and stable, if you buy Homey, be aware that not everything will work right away... some things may take a while to get fixed (or developed).
    Also, currently the only spoken languages supported by Homey are English and Dutch (and even voice recognition of those don't always work very well). The team said there would also be German at some point, but when that will be is still unknown.

• I am german and i don't feel misplaced in this "dutch" community! 90% of the threats are english spoken. And when there is too much dutch so I don't understand I ask if it could be possible to go on in English. 

And everyone here in the forum follows then. 

I can't say it is only Dutch.  And the dutch people here don't bite!
  • @Emile ;
    Maybe adding some country/language flag next to the profile picture would give a better idea for the users where everybody lives ?
  • Hey, I am german aswell and I can confirm all of the above posted. This is a very friendly community and in 90% of all cases you don't need google translate :smiley: (If you're german you could probably understand the most dutch by reading :wink: )
    But I also can understand your concerns because of the forum topics, there is a potential that information is lost / unaccessable.
    There were a lot of other topics in the past that it is best to keep everything in english and don't split it to a dutch subforum. I think the recently opened dutch topics are caused by the retail launch in NL and some "forum-newbies" related to this.
    So I think there will be less non english topics in future.
    But it wouldn't be bad if @Annemarie could add english language to the https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1942/welcome-to-the-forum thread to make it clearer for everyone.
  • MothaMotha Member
    edited December 2016
    If you're comfortable using English, which (judging by your post) you seem to be, there's no reason not to hop aboard. The hardware ecosystems in NL and DE are nearly identical, which is most important imho.

Thinking about it, we actually do need more Germans here... especially those with an eQ-3 MAX! Heizungssteuerung
    [ Edit: s/en/and/ ]