This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

very bad z-wave range

Comments

• OK, maybe it's a fibaro issue?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited September 2016
    ZperX said:

The RGBW controller is about 3.5m away from Homey, that works as NOD between Homey and the sensors upstairs. There is no issue there. The issue is with the sensor trying to connect to homey from a 5+ meter distance. I would need only 7-8 meters (without obstacle, direct view to Homey). And it is not one a broken sensor. I was swapping them around.
    And what is the problem with the ones not connecting through your mesh/RGBW?  You don't get any updates?  And you do get them when you put them closer than 4m?
    I'm just asking because my battery powered devices (motion/smoke) don't always work as they are supposed to, even when I put them right next to my Homey, so it's not a distance problem.
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited September 2016
    The RGBW is in the opposite direction than the single sensor what I want to connect to Homey directly. That is why it cant connect to that mesh.
    You made a good point there that the battery powered connection is more reliable beyond the nod than directly with Homey. This is what I tried to explain here with the addition that it is especially true in case of ZW+.
  • ZperX said:
    The RGBW is in the opposite direction than the single sensor what I want to connect to Homey directly. That is why it cant connect to that mesh.
    I got that, you had to tell MarcoF several times already  :D
    So it doesn't connect to the mesh, but what exactly is the problem?  No updates on motion/temp/lux...?
  • The problem that it does not connect directly to homey beyond ~4.5m distance. No updates, nothing.
  • At which distance did you pair those sensors?
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited September 2016
    The ones in the mesh I have paired beyond homey`s reach via the nod otherwise they would be not stable. 

The one I am trying to connect directly to homey I have paired from various distances. But the best is when I place it close to homey to make sure that there is no signal loss during the pairing process.
  • Not sure if it's already posted or mentioned.

Planning to buy a few Aeon Labs Z-Wave Repeaters to improve the Z-Wave range quality. I've noticed that the repeater is supported by the Aeotec App so that's good.

Any experience with using Z-Wave repeaters?
  • @nicor ;
    I was thinking to get the same. They claim 150 meters outdoor range (and on robbshop, on amazon it says 200 meters). Please let us know your findings. 

Last weekend I took homey out in the garden. And max range between the Homey and the Fibaro Sensor ZW+ was
    7 meters. Shall I send homey back with warranty issue?...

• MHubertMHubert Member
    edited September 2016
    I woult sent him back!
    That ar hylarical short meters!

Zwaves is more then 30m.
  • Same issue here, I have 2 Fibaro Zwave+ sensors, both have trouble te reach Homey. one is 5 metes away (2 walls)

other is 10 meters away also 2 walls.
  • Same issue here, 4 sensors, one is 5 meters away, 1 wall, only connection when the door is open.
    My house is a wooden structure, no concrete at all, no metal studs but wooden frames with drywall plates ('gipsplaten' in 't vlaamsch :-) )
    The only metal is some cornerbeads, but not even close to the sensor.
    I plugged in an Aeotec repeater, just to get another 2 meters.
    It's a Fibaro Smoke alert, so it's vital it works.
    I waited a long time before Z-wave was more or less functional. So now I bought some sensors, and I'm a little disappointed.
    For now, the only solution is getting some extra repeaters to get to the first and second floor.

• Battery powered sensors do not build up a mesh netweork, like 220 powered Z-wave devices (as far as i know) I solved this by using some normal powered zwave devices.
  • I especially experience the problem if I want to add a new device. Sitting 1 meter away, when adding a Fibaro ZWave+ multisensor didn't work. It started adding, but then stopped. When I placed the sensor next to Homey, I managed to add it at once. After that, I could move it a couple of meters away with no problems.
  • I thought that when, in pairing mode, there is a weak signal for security reasons. 
  • tim1990 said:
    I thought that when, in pairing mode, there is a weak signal for security reasons. 
    Ah, thanks for the info.
  • @JurgenHuijbregts ;
    Of coarse, I know, repeating every z-wave message would drain a battery in no time.
    But 5 meters, 1 wooden wall, ... the signal should be able to travel through that, don't you think ?

• while searching for some solution to create a well working Z-Wave mesh, I stumbled upon this:
    http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/understanding-z-wave-networks

More specifically this part
    Challenges in Typical Network Configurations

Z-Wave network typically starts as a small network that is extended as and when you need. A small network may consist of a remote control and a couple of switches or dimmers. The remote control acts as primary controller and includes and controls the switches and dimmers.
    During inclusion the dimmers and switches should be installed at their final location, to ensure that a correct list of neighbours will be recognised and reported.

This type of network configuration works well as long as the remote control can reach all switches and dimmers directly (the node to be controlled is “in range”). If the controlled node is not in range, the user may experience delays, because the remote control needs to detect the network structure first before controlling the device.

In case a device was included and moved afterwards to a new position, this particular device can only be controlled by the remote control if it is in direct range. Otherwise the communication will fail, because the routing table entry for this particular device is wrong and the remote control is not able to do a network scan at the moment of operation.

This last paragraph is not very encouraging.

Everybody says to first put de sensor close to Homey to pair, then use it at it's location.

:( 

• while searching for some solution to create a well working Z-Wave mesh, I stumbled upon this:
    http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/understanding-z-wave-networks

More specifically this part
    Challenges in Typical Network Configurations

Z-Wave network typically starts as a small network that is extended as and when you need. A small network may consist of a remote control and a couple of switches or dimmers. The remote control acts as primary controller and includes and controls the switches and dimmers.
    During inclusion the dimmers and switches should be installed at their final location, to ensure that a correct list of neighbours will be recognised and reported.

This type of network configuration works well as long as the remote control can reach all switches and dimmers directly (the node to be controlled is “in range”). If the controlled node is not in range, the user may experience delays, because the remote control needs to detect the network structure first before controlling the device.

In case a device was included and moved afterwards to a new position, this particular device can only be controlled by the remote control if it is in direct range. Otherwise the communication will fail, because the routing table entry for this particular device is wrong and the remote control is not able to do a network scan at the moment of operation.

This last paragraph is not very encouraging.

Everybody says to first put de sensor close to Homey to pair, then use it at it's location.

:( 

I have been adding devices close to my HC2 for many years then moved , no problem !    ( same on my Homey)  

After move the mesh will rebuild and find its way back , i believe :) 

But can agree that that the last paragraph is not very encouraging !   
  • Somewhere on Vesternet I read inclusion to a controller will never work through a mesh...
  • @YvesGeffens that is why there is a "Heal" command, to update that internal table with neighboring devices. 

@BasVanDenBosch it is possible to include through mesh, but the fail rate is 95+% because the data transfer from and to sensor is so big. 
  • Some old post

JeroenVollenbrock said:
    Homey does support auto-routing. Please keep in mind that the healing process starts after a devices becomes unavailable and takes some time, during which the device remains unavailable. Battery-powered devices are not able to relay messages. The implementation for this is handled on the chip itself (not in the Homey software) and the default strategy is used.

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited December 2016
    ('gipsplaten' in 't vlaamsch :-) )
    Real Vlamingen just call it gyproc p

This last paragraph is not very encouraging.Everybody says to first put de sensor close to Homey to pair, then use it at it's location.
    Homey has a network heal (done automatically by the z-wave chip) so after a few hours (take a day to be sure) the mesh should be rebuilt.

Somewhere on Vesternet I read inclusion to a controller will never work through a mesh...

It is possible: https://www.zwaveoutlet.com/pages/adding-and-removing-z-wave-devices

Network Wide Inclusion (NWI is a Z-Wave technology developed to make the installation of new devices into a Z-Wave network easier. NWI will use the existing devices in your Z-Wave network to route the information about the new device being added to the controller that is handling the inclusion process. To use NWI your devices on your network need to support it. You put your hub into Full Power Inclusion mode and include like normal.)
    But your devices need to support it, so I guess it's always a risk trying to do it.
  • Today I have recieved 2 Fibaro wall plugs. They work fine with homey in de livingroom (where homey is) . But on the first floor and second floor they don't work with Homey. Is there any solution to fix this? 
  • Robbertos said:
    Today I have recieved 2 Fibaro wall plugs. They work fine with homey in de livingroom (where homey is) . But on the first floor and second floor they don't work with Homey. Is there any solution to fix this? 
    Do you only have 2 zwave devices ?      when i build my first zwave network i needed to add 4-6 units to get a good range on my 2 floors ( Fibaro HC2 )    
  • yes I only have 2. 
  • Robbertos said:
    yes I only have 2. 
    I some cases you need more devices to build a nice mesh network  ,   put one on first floor and one in second floor and wait for mesh to rebuild  ....    
  • Oke I will try. Howlong I will wait?
  • Maybe u can do the range test:
    Press and hold the button on the wall plug on ur first floor.
    When its glowing violet, realease the button and press it 1 time briefly.
    When direct connected with Homey it needs to glow green.
    Just start with this and let us know what the plug says to u
  • sossienlsossienl Member
    edited December 2016
    My situation:

I have Homey placed in the living room. It connects to all Z-Wave devices that are in a 5-6m range. Even through a thick wall. Now some of the Z-Wave I have (Fibaro motion sensor and several Door/window sensors) are not connecting or giving any updates to Homey because they are outside of this 5/6 range.

Even while I don't have these issues at all with my MiOS Vera 3 box, I have bought a Aeotec Range extender (Repeater). This is plugged into the wall socket about 5 meters away from Homey without any walls in between. It paired fine and as far as I can see, it's in my Zwave network. (see picture).

The distance between the range extender and my Fibaro motion sensor is about 7 meters without any walls. 
    Still homey doesn't receive any updates from the sensor, as shown in the picture below (temperature).  There is one spot (dark purple), which is when I paired the sensor.

Any advice? Z-wave is now not really useful.
    Homey is doing a very poor job on Z-wave in general, compared to the Vera 3 box, which is quite old btw