This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Every 2 hours on and 1 hour off

I want to create a flow which turns on my underfloor heating on for 2 hours and then off for an hour.
It is connected with a KaKu device. It is probably very simple, but i can't figure it out without making a lot of flows which put the device on at specific time and off at a specific time.

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Comments

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited December 2016
    U could do it with the countdown app. Make a timer and let it run for 1 hour. Should be possible with 2 flows me guess.
    Just another question:
    What is the reason u wanna turn it on and off??
  • Can be done in just one flow afaik. Trigger every three hour and two actions, one to turn on the heater, and one to turn it of. Key is to enable a 120 minute delay on the last one.
  • Thanks! Didn't knew there was an option with that times at the top right corner.

And Rocodamelshe... i want to turn it off to spare some energy :smile: 
    It works on electricity, so wants to find out how long i can turn it off while it still keeps pretty warm.
  • Aha, normally it cost more energy to re-heat the floor again but if it's for testing I understand
  • You could also trigger it every hour, and set the off delay to 40 minutes. That will give you the same 2/3 heating time, but less cooldown.
  • Banjer said:
    You could also trigger it every hour, and set the off delay to 40 minutes. That will give you the same 2/3 heating time, but less cooldown.
    Maybe this isn't such a bad idea :)
  • I'm not an expert, but what I commonly read is that it is not efficient to turn off floor heating (except for an extended vacation).

I have floor heating myself with a high and low mode (21 and 17 degrees). Low mode should be used for at least 4 hours for it to be efficient (according to the supplier).

Generally speaking, a thermostat is much more efficient in controlling heat then an on/off mechanism.
    I would only recommend to only turn the heating during vacations and perhaps at night for a few hours and letting your thermostat do the rest.   
  • 2mv2mv Member
    edited December 2016
    Better is to use an automated switch. It measures the temperature of the water and if above a setpoint it switches on and below a setpoint it switches off.
    When not in use (the heating), it switches on every 14 days for 1 minute.
    Like this one:
    http://www.tercal-shop.nl/product_info.php?pName=tercal-pompschakelaar-11e-antistop
  • 2mv said:
    Better is to use an automated switch. It measures the temperature of the water and if above a setpoint it switches on and below a setpoint it switches off.
    When not in use (the heating), it switches on every 14 days for 1 minute.
    Like this one:
    http://www.tercal-shop.nl/product_info.php?pName=tercal-pompschakelaar-11e-antistop
    Ehhh, this will only work on water based systems. @MaartenVreeburg uses electricity...?

>>It works on electricity, so wants to find out how long i can turn it off while it still keeps pretty warm.<<

• Haha, I see, my bad.
    Is this electrical underfloorheating the main heating device? If not, then you can use it for how long you wish and can find some comfort with it.
    If it is, is it controlled with a thermostat of some sort? And is that a on/off switch or a gradually power up?
    To give a short answer: it will not preserve energy by limiting the time that you give the thermostat to heat up the room.
  • It is indeed based on electricity and only has an on/off switch. So no temperature measure or anything. The house is normally heated with a CV. Only the seperate kitchen uses the electrical underfloor heating. I know that normally you should not turn off a system based on water. And it also takes a lot of time to heat the cold kitchen floor from zero. But the 40 minutes on and 20 minutes off works pretty well to be honest. The heat keeps in the floor this way. Going to test 30 minutes on 30 minutes off later :)

Thanks for all the advice
  • As an extra, maybe you can throw the outside temperature in the mix. (wheatherunderground?) Like, the colder the outside temperature is, the interval is longer for on. And with a higher outside temperature sorter for on.
    And of course, switch off the device permanently if the outside temperature is 20C or something.
  • Never seen electric floor heating without some type of sensor/thermostat.
    Plz take care with this situation (if true alright) , u can easily overheat the floor.
    Electric floor heating can go over 60 degrees celcius which can damage ur floor seriously.
  • edited December 2016
    I like the idea of using the app weatherunderground. Only i don't know how to get this to work.

I have one flow like this

And then it needs to activate this flow.

The only problem is when i want to only run this flow when its activated by the other flow i can't use the timer option 'every x hours' anymore.

Also i think i can only use one temperature option. If lower then this, then activate. Not an option for example if temperature is between 10 -15 degrees activate flow 1, but if between 0 - 10 degrees activate flow 2.

Thanks for all the help

Update:

I have the solution for the the timer, just needed it to put on the first flow :* 

• A Thermostat is in principle also a on and off switch. It does sound a bit strange that an eltrical underfloor heating does not have a thermostat. I guess the wattage is limited that a constant maximum temperature is reached but this is not very handy with varying outside temperatures. I can imagine that It would be too hot or too cold for most of the time. It would definitely be useful if you can automate the control. Is the floor heating used as a supplementary heating. Then it would be understandable. 
  • fuzzybear said:
    A Thermostat is in principle also a on and off switch.
    Must disagree with this. A thermostat is a device which will switch on or off ( some even do higher/lower) according reaching the temperatures which  was put into the settings manual or was fixed from factory. An on/off switch will stay on at maximum power untill u switch it off again. An electric floor heating without any kind of sensor/thermostat will over-heat ur floor when switch is on.
  • Looks like big fun you having there! I would keep the intervals sorter, like 4 minutes on 2 off instead of 40-20.
    Keeps the comfort level higher, so: not to hot, not to cold but steady warm.
    But of course be sure to keep things on the safe side Maarten. Sorry to be harassing you about this, but what happens when all flows/433mhz/homey fail, and the heating is permanently on? That electrical floorheater of yours is a genuine dark horse for myself and others here. Any overheating protection in this electrical device?
  • fuzzybear said:
    A Thermostat is in principle also a on and off switch
    Must disagree with this. A thermostat is a device which will switch on or off 
    Hmmm don't see the difference in the principle.
  • Ok. With thermostat and sensor u cannot over heat. It will go off when max temp is reached. With an on/off switch it's not goin off until u push the button.
  • It is indeed based on electricity and only has an on/off switch. So no temperature measure or anything. 
    And because this statement of the topic starter I was just wondering.
  • I think you misunderstand me, but never mind back on topic.