This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

512MB RAM - Whats your maximum # apps ?

Hi Community,

Homey stability is a very hot topic on this forum.

My experience is that Homey's stability is highly influenced by the number of apps you have running simultaneously on the available 512MB RAM. 

What is your experience, e.g. how many apps do you have installed with still a stable Homey experience ?

Looking forward for your feedback  ;)

Comments

• JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited December 2016
    I have currently 21 apps running and kind of have a stable Homey experience.

Still have to reboot every 48 - 72 hours though  :s

• mruitermruiter Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm running at 33 apps 300+ flows.
    All working OK. just takes some time after reboot for all apps are up and running (about 2 minutes)

Using TCP-IP / Kaku / Z-Wave / IR and Bluetooth so i cover almost everything with Homey

Stablility or lack of can be caused by just one app.
    What is the instability you have. Does Homey crash complete, Kaku not working anymore, Z-wave slow or not reacting to anything anymore.

A little bit more info if you want help with it.
  • @Jeroenvano You seem to suggest that the 512 MB isn't enough as memory is almost full all the time. This is the way linux works, it caches as much free mem as possible. If you need more apps, it just takes some cache which is reserved for other apps. That said: 21 apps...
  • JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited December 2016
    @mruiter  instability I am experiencing is that z-wave disconnects/stops working/freezes after 48-72 hours. This is fixed by a simple restart to last for another 2-3 days. Acceptable Homey stability would be a need to reboot once every 2-3 months IMHO.

@BasVanDenBosch I am not suggesting that the 512 MB isn't enough as memory is almost full all the time. I am aware how linux works caching all mem available.

I do experience when re-organizing flows or renaming devices a high mem usage increase by the Homey system usage. All zwave apps get slow in execution 5 - 30 min delays. Utilization gets high and lasts for ever in my experience. After a reboot all acts normal.

I am only saying that the stability is highly influenced by the number of apps you have running simultaneously on the available 512MB RAM if some actions have high mem usage for a period of time.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited December 2016

@jeroenvano  , this has nothing to do with the amount of apps or memory.
    This seems to be a hard to kill bug. Still seems to be a leftover from the hanging at sendData bug.

There working on it. Hope to test 1.0.4 soon and confirm its gone.

Just a temp fixup to keep that bedbug away. Install the Candy App and reboot youre Homey at for lets say 01.00 AM in the morning.

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited December 2016
    This looks like two leaks then:
    1) I do experience when re-organizing flows or renaming devices a high mem usage increase by the Homey system usage.
    Is there something special in the console? Did you create a github issue for this?
    2) All zwave apps get slow in execution 5 - 30 min delays. Utilization gets high and lasts for ever in my experience. After a reboot all acts normal.
    I'll assume @mruiter is right about this for now, otherwise we should create a github issue for this too...

In both cases it would be wise to create a log of memory and processor-usage (would be nice if those would be variables we could use in a flow )