This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Massive problems with Z-wave

Comments

• @TedTolboom to answer your questions:
    - Did you change any settings / parameters on these devices (in particular the motion sensor)?
    no, all the parameters are standard.
    - Is the responsiveness the same directly after a reboot or deteriorating over time?
    The bad responsiveness began after adding the switch AND the update tot 1.0.1. The two changes happened 'simultanously'. I have rebooted homey, but that didn't do the trick.
    - When you have the device card open (seeing the motion sensor state), does it change when walking by?
    Nope. Some values are also not coming in. The sensor data on homey indicates movement all morning (I'm at the office, so that's not correct), and temperature and battery percentage is missing.

- Can you share the flows that you are using to switch on the Fibaro switch?

• Can u remove the Zonsondergang card and try again?
  • As @Rocodamelshe suggested, I would remove the Zonsondergang card (not really reliable) and replace it with a fixed time (e.g. time after 18:00) and with an additional AND statement that the switch is OFF (to prevent continuous switch on if the switch is already ON)

Two more questions:
    - Is it a Z-wave plus motion sensor or non Z-wave plus?
    - What does Insights show for motion and illumination, for a single day?

• That won't solve his problem with the sensor always reporting motion... 

I would try removing and pairing the sensor again. 
  • Fire69 said:
    That won't solve his problem with the sensor always reporting motion...
    Missed that line
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    if it is the z-wave PLUS version he needs to wait for my PR fix to be accepted and implemented.
    a re-add won't help the motion going (on/)off reliable at the moment.
  • Hi,

Just did another complete reset of my z-wave network. From the 5 fibaro motion sensors I only installed the 2 "z-wave" versions and left the 3 "non z-wave" versions out. In general, the network seems to be much more stable and predictable so that's positive.

@ caseda

When do you expect the update/fix to be implemented?

Unfortunately, resetting the z-wave network and re-adding all dimmer-2 modules resulted in another issue. For non of the "dimmer 2" modules the S2 switch is working anymore....(they were working flawlessly before).

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Robert

• Roppiee said:
    Hi,

From the 5 fibaro motion sensors I only installed the 2 "z-wave" versions and left the 3 "non z-wave" versions out.

non-z-wave Fibaro motion sensors?
    U confuse me.
  • @Roppiee ;
    look in the device's settings under "association groups" if there is a "1" (without quotes) in group 4 if not, add it and save, that should solve your issue

fix ETA is within 4 weeks (have no conclusive answer, sorry) but shouldn't take long anymore, the PR guy is currently busy with looking through all the z-wave PR's which is many things to look at.
  • sorry for the confusion...I meant that I removed the z-wave plus versions of the motion sensors so only installed the z-wave versions.....

@ Caseda
    There is a 1 in group 4 and in group 1 for all the dimmers...? Any other suggestions?

• casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    reboot your homey :smiley: Homey's settings -> System -> [Reboot System]
  • Unfortunately rebooting is not resolving the issue.... still non of the s2 buttons are functioning ;-(
  • Okay, update of what I have learned so far:
    - first: it is the z-wave plus version of the sensor

- Removing the "after sunset" card didn't do the trick. I have read that the card can be unreliable, but in other flows it is working correct. Removing it in this flow didn't made a difference.

- moving the sensor to the living room (where Homey lives) did made a difference. I tested the sensor in the hall, standing on the closet. It worked fine in this testing period (with a dummy flow) I then mounted the sensor to the wall, not more then 2 meters away of the testing position. The sensor almost has a clear line of site at homey (approx 8 meters). Also the switch (also z-wave plus) is not more then 2 meters away from the sensor. So if the sensor is out of reach, it should make a mesh-network to homey, right?
    But somehow standing in the living room the sensor (and the flow) work great. Putting the sensor back in the hall way, I got my hopes up a little bit. The lights turned on when I walked by...but don't turn off...Movement is still on, although I am already back in the living room.

So in short: in the living room it works great. In the hall it is not so great....It is like the signal is not coming through. Any suggestions?
  • caseda said:
    if it is the z-wave PLUS version he needs to wait for my PR fix to be accepted and implemented.
    a re-add won't help the motion going (on/)off reliable at the moment.
    What is the fix @caseda ? Can you explain for a hobby ict-enthusiast?
  • @ Caseda,

I fixed the issue with the s2 buttons of the dimmer 2 by changing parameter 27 manually. This parameter is related to the Z-wave network security for association groups 2-5. I changed the value to 0 indicating that all groups (2 till 5)are sent unsecure. 

Now s2 is working again but is there any risk doing this?

Thanks

• casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    I could even explain it to a no ICT guy :tongue: 

The app is currently only looking if there is being send an "ON" signal and where it comes from, if it was not that sensor, it will turn it off.

so if the "ON" signal is coming from the motion, it will turn [ON] the motion.
    BUT it also sets the Tamper [OFF]
    Not matter what state the Tamper was before.

if it sends the tamper "ON" signal is send it will turn the tamper [ON] and motion [OFF] no matter what state
    if then the motion also sends "ON" few seconds later, setting motion [ON]
    if then tamper sends "OFF" it sets both tamper [OFF] BUT also the motion [OFF]

if you never trigger tamper but only motion, it should turn [OFF] the motion if the motion "OFF" signal was send,
    but for some reason this not always happens when not really looking for the "OFF" signal

in the fix it really looks if the signal corresponds to the signal the sensor which should go "ON" or "OFF"
    this will cause a lot less traffic from code to app state, which can also be the cause of the not turning [OFF]

at least, it worked very reliable for my one, tested over several days, including tamper and motion.
  • caseda said:
    @Roppiee ;
    look in the device's settings under "association groups" if there is a "1" (without quotes) in group 4 if not, add it and save, that should solve your issue

All my motion sensors have a 1 in Group 1. So should I delete the 1 and put in in group 4 instead?

What effect does the assosiation group have?
  • @G4nd41f ;
    cool, didn't know that motion sensor now are also dimmer 2's where did you get those.

association groups is where the corresponding information from the sensor goes to, look into the manual for more information about this.

so no, if your motion sensor is the PLUS version, it needs to stay on group 1, and just wait for my fix to come
  • Yesterday I have bought a Fibaro motion sensor FGMS-001. After adding it to Homey with firmware 1.0.1 and fibaro app version 1.1.0 (and leaving all sensor settings on factory default) I have a lot of issues. Motion alarm and tamper alarm continue to fire eventhough no one is in the room (I let it run for the whole night) when I look at the status on the device itself. However this motion and tampering is not tracked in insights. 

Also flows that should be triggered on motion alarm are not working eventhough the sensor's light shows it registers momevent.

The sensor and Homey are in the same room and not more than 4 meters apart, they don't have a clear line of sight though. (there is furniture in between)

I have also done several removals and re-installations but this doesn't provide a better situation at all. 

Conclusion is that the sensor is worthless as:
    - no flows are triggers (not even the simple ones like 'turn on a light when movement alarm goes off'
    - temp and lux are working and registering but with delays (could be settings issue)
    - Motion and tamper alarm continue to register on the device status as going off even when there is no movement.

Any ideas?

• caseda said:
    @G4nd41f ;
    cool, didn't know that motion sensor now are also dimmer 2's where did you get those.

Why dimmer 2's?
  • Yesterday I added my Fibaro Zwave plus motion sensors again hoping that the Fibaro app update would have fixed the issues with the Zwave plus version. I had been running the zwave network for the past days with only the Zwave motion sensors and removed the zwave plus ones.  It ran without any issue.

Yesterday I added 1 of the zwave plus sensor again, and immediately encountered strange behavior of the zwave network. It was very slow and regularly I was not able to control any of my zwave devices. 

Unfortunately I had to decide to remove the Zwave plus motion sensors again. Everything is now running fine again.

It seems that there is still a big issue with the Zwave plus motion sensors.

I really hope that this will be solved quickly since this is really disappointing :-( 

• @G4nd41f ;
    since the issue I was giving that solution for, was for a dimmer 2, nowhere near a motion sensor. :wink: 

• @nlbabal ;
    Do you have only that one sensor?
    Or do you have more zwave devices.

And if you hold it close to homey, does it the change status in the mobile card then?

All my motion sensors have no trouble triggering/canceling motion and or tamper, so it is not the app, if you have no other z wave devices it could be a homey zwave chip that is broken/failing, or the sensor has something wrong . 

If closer by does not work
    Please reboot homey once, see if it fixes it. (settings -> system -> [Reboot Homey]) 
    If not re pair the sensor and see if it still happens. 

If it still does not work, and you have no other device you can try,
    contact support@athom.com.com so they can take a look at your situation 
    If you do have another device that works then your sensor is faulty 
  • @Roppiee ;
    Reviewing your issues, they are all related to zwave plus's secure part (dimmer 2 you also needed to make the signals non secure) and the motion sensor plus making the network unstable. 

Please contact support@athom.com explaining your situation, and include that you ( you can also give my name ) think it is the zwave chip that is not handling any secure data properly.
    They can help you further
  • @nlbabal I have the same issues. Only difference is, that when I move the sensor near homey, it starts working (at least, that's what happened during a little test). When I put the sensor back on the wall, it sometimes works, but mostly not.
    (I also have the Z-Wave Plus version of the sensor).

@Roppiee I currently have a z-wave plus sensor and switch. The switch works fine, but the sensor (fibaro) doesn't work. I have the same problems as explaind by @nlbabal ;

I hope that Athom will find the bug soon and update the app or Z-wave plus system.

@caseda since a lot of people are experiencing problems, isn't it more likely that there is a bug in Homey? 
  • caseda said:
    @nlbabal ;

And if you hold it close to homey, does it the change status in the mobile card then?

All my motion sensors have no trouble triggering/canceling motion and or tamper, so it is not the app, if you have no other z wave devices it could be a homey zwave chip that is broken/failing, or the sensor has something wrong . 

Please reboot homey once, see if it fixes it. (settings -> system -> [Reboot Homey]) 

@caseda I only have this one sensor. I will test it tonight closer to homey and see if there is a difference with it acting on flows or not. However I believe that it should work 4 meters apart (homey-sensor) 
  • nlbabal said:
    caseda said:
    @nlbabal ;

@caseda I only have this one sensor. I will test it tonight closer to homey and see if there is a difference with it acting on flows or not. However I believe that it should work 4 meters apart (homey-sensor) 
    I have done a number of tests:

a. Current installation
    - Test if flows will be activated based on a a very simple flow: if motion detected then turn on one hue light. Location sensor on its original location.
    -->result no flow triggered

- same test as above both then closer to homey (about 2,5 meters)
    --> result no flow triggered

- same as first test but then about 1 meter from Homey
    -->  result no flow triggered

b. Renewed installation of the sensor
     Test if flows will be activated based on a a very simple flow: if motion detected then turn on one hue light. Location sensor on its original location.

-->  result sometimes triggers about 2 out of 5 times I tried

I also did all the above with the tamper alarm. Same result.

• nlbabal said:
    nlbabal said:
    caseda said:
    @nlbabal ;

I have done a number of tests:

a. Current installation
    - Test if flows will be activated based on a a very simple flow: if motion detected then turn on one hue light. Location sensor on its original location.

-->  result no flow triggered

b. Renewed installation of the sensor
     Test if flows will be activated based on a a very simple flow: if motion detected then turn on one hue light. Location sensor on its original location.

-->  result sometimes triggers about 2 out of 5 times I tried

I also did all the above with the tamper alarm. Same result.

@caseda I also did a range test. Up to the location of the sensor (4 meters from Homey) I get green. But as soon as I hang it on its wallsocket 2,3 mtr high then it turns red. Is the range really limited to just 4 meters?
  • @Peter4209 ;
    and that's why we need to find out WHAT is wrong ;) and rule out everything.
    You say a lot of people but there are more people that have it working, so it's most likely a certain situation that is causing it, just saying "my motion doesn't trigger" but don't give any information in what you use, your room/house situation, or even the type of module/sensor you are using, it's practically impossible to find the bug.

the range has always been a problem, but now that z-wave is getting more stable by the week, it's getting little easier to find the bugs that could cause this.
    since the latest (most) issues is around range of z-wave plus devices, we can already look at that area, but that's still way too wide.
    and now seeing it might be the secure data (which also has had some problems in the past) we can take away about 10% of the haystack again.

Z-wave is internally way more difficult to handle then most people know, so a small mistake is easy to make, but VERY hard to find if you don't know where to look, the code is VERY big, so every little bit of information is always helpful to find that needle.
  • @nlbabal ;
    it can be a mistake/bug in the secure data parser that makes the range get lower, a bug can cause that, the signal needs to be perfect, if it is off by a little bit, or there is too much noise that is not handelend correctly (there is A LOT of noise in the air) it's very easy to loose range.

now that we know that your homey does receive and your sensor does work (properly) we have already ruled out 2 major things that could be wrong.
    now i can't help you further since the problem is most likely in the core, so you should contact support@athom.com so You can help them pinpoint any mistakes in the code somewhere

PS, the range tester of the sensor is not always reliable, i've had several sensors that gave red led's while still reacting properly inside homey