This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Massive problems with Z-wave

Comments

• I did disable the Greenwave app and rebooted my homey, but the motion sensors are still not reacting reliably... :(.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited November 2016
    This is getting pretty annoying; Greenwave + Homey is a mess....

Please Athom, give this some attention. I fell partly responsible as I rated the Homey 4 stars in mij PCM review, anticipating that  - 2 months down the line - this would be solved.

Adding new functionality to Homey is nice, making the current work is simply a must! 
  • @Eternity : This is caused by Greenwave. If these plugs would work as they should, it would be a great product with really lots of potential. Now measuring plugs are over 40 euros per piece... But instead they took them of the market without releasing an alternative..... So not caused by Homey though it would be great if Athom could get them to work as we expect...
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited November 2016
    @BasVanDenBosch ;;;

I have to disagree with you. Greenwave has worked for me without any issues, albeit in a setup with an Aeotec z-wave stick controlled by Domoticz. Also, after a Homey re-boot - not touching Greenwave - the unconnected powernodes will always auto-connect again.

So, it is my conclusion that it is not Greenwave hardware related, but the combination of Homey with the Athom Greenwave App.

PS
    I too have Candy re-boot Homey every night, in an etempt to keep Greenwave operational.
  • JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited November 2016
    Eternity said:
    @BasVanDenBosch ;;;;

I have to disagree with you. Greenwave has worked for me without any issues, albeit in a setup with an Aeotec z-wave stick controlled by Domoticz. Also, after a Homey re-boot - not touching Greenwave - the unconnected powernodes will always auto-connect again.

So, it is my conclusion that it is not Greenwave hardware related, but the combination of Homey with the Athom Greenwave App.

PS
    I too have Candy re-boot Homey every night, in an etempt to keep Greenwave operational.
    I fully agree with @Eternity , I used greenwave powernodes 1 from day 1 with homey, never had any problems since zwave became stable since the rewrite by @Athom . Problems started to occur since v.0.7.0 version and never had any problems with my greenwave, fibaro and sensitive nodes.  

It looks to me that the Greenwave app is the issue in combination with Homey current versions. 

• I don't have any greenwave powernodes, just summarizing what I see on slack, github and the forum :smile: 

The powernodes 1 don't have this problems, it's the powernodes 6 which have the green flashing lights. Ah, but rebooting every night makes a big difference, that's a good advice for people who suffer from the greenwave issues... Still: the powernode 6 devices pretend they're so good I'd think it would be a real best-seller but they're not made anymore?
  • Small update on my issues as described above.

Actions taken:
    - (re-) confirmed that the right parameters are stored on the motion sensors (by modifying the LED color)
    - Updated my flows to prevent the erratic data reports from my motion sensors to send repetitive ON (or OFF) commands; added AND card to only send a switch on command if the lamp itself is switched off
    - Luminance values were already averaged (2 data points) to smoothen fluctuation; I consider to even extend it to 3 data points.

Today Homey / Greenwave has been running again stable without stalling / breaking up and is responding directly without delays. I will disable my nightly Homey reboot to see if the stability will hold tomorrow.

On suggestion of @caseda I will re-pair my motion sensors tomorrow evening, to see if the parsers that were still part of the Z-wave driver at the moment that I added the motion sensors (back in September) are causing the erratic data reports.

Lesson learned: DON'T trust Insights (graphs) while troubleshooting, but download the actual loggings to see the data. Insights shows multiple data points with same value and with some seconds in between as 1 point (only).

Suggestion to other users:
    Since I re-paired my Greenwave powernodes with SW v0.9.3, my powernodes are running quite stable (no green lights flashing, on any of my 3 PN-6's and 2 PN-1's)
    Re-pairing them with current Homey SW and GW app (1.0.6) will even automatically add the right parameters (polling and alive) to avoid stalling the Z-wave network. So it might be an option to exclude/remove the powernodes from Homey and re-add them (after a reboot)
  • I fully agree with @Eternity , I used greenwave powernodes 1 from day 1 with homey, never had any problems since zwave became stable since the rewrite by @Athom . Problems started to occur since v.0.7.0 version and never had any problems with my greenwave, fibaro and sensitive nodes.  

It looks to me that the Greenwave app is the issue in combination with Homey current versions. 

@Jeroenvano When did you include the powernodes to Homey; well before v0.7.0?
    As mentioned in my post above, I would recommend to re-pair them with current SW and app version.
  • I fully agree with @Eternity , I used greenwave powernodes 1 from day 1 with homey, never had any problems since zwave became stable since the rewrite by @Athom . Problems started to occur since v.0.7.0 version and never had any problems with my greenwave, fibaro and sensitive nodes.  

As mentioned in my post above, I would recommend to re-pair them with current SW and app version.
    All 4 have been reinstalled recently to enable the power usage in flows as triggers. I think the new Greenwave app supporting this was posted a week ago or 10 days or so. So this can not be an issue.

All 4 have been reinstalled recently to enable the power usage in flows as triggers. I think the new Greenwave app supporting this was posted a week ago or 10 days or so. So this can not be an issue.
    What do you mean? Power usage in flows is supported already much earlier. My powernode 6 is stable since weeks!
  • Ah that one. Did not have that issue. Was working for me before the 4. Nov already.
  • @BasVanDenBosch ;;
    Unfortunately I have to say that both the 1 and 6 port Greenwave have flashing led issues in my setup.... 
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited November 2016
    Update on my stability issues:
    - With the flow adaptation, Homey is running stable again for serveral days - Re-paired my Fibaro motion sensors (with in between reboots and update to v1.0.1)

Still my motion sensors show some "erratic" data reports, which cannot be explained by the settings used; see the Github issue that I created for more data / background...

I would appreciate if someone with a similar setup (combination of Fibaro Motion sensors and Greenwave Powernodes, without any other Z-wave devices with routing capability), could contribute their Insights data (downloaded) and devices settings to this issue...
  • @TedTolboom ;

I don't have Fibaro sensors, but Aetoec's (4 of them). Can that be of any use?
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited November 2016
    @Eternity would be interresting to see. Especially if you (also) don't have any other devices, next to the powernodes and Aetoec's...
  • JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited November 2016
    Ok, I decided to completely start over with Z-wave today

- Removed all Fibaro devices
    - Removed all Greenwave Powernode 1 devices
    - Removed all Sensitive devices
    - Removed the apps from Homey
    - Factory reset Z-wave
    - Reboot Homey
    - After restart, pulled the Homey plug for 10 minutes
    - Installed only the Fibaro app (as most my devices are Fibaro)
    - Installed 2x wall plugs (checked working fine)
    - Installed 1x Fibaro Motion Sensor (Z-Wave Plus), checked working fine
    - Installed 2x Fibaro Dimmer 2 (checked working fine)

Wanted to install another Fibaro Dimmer 2 and get the message "wait for zwave to become ready". This message stays up for minutes. Still wanted to add 3 more Fibaro devices but stopped as I also noticed that Homey membory increased from 80Mb to 140Mb and all earlier zwave devices have become unresponsive. Looks like zwave freezes again. So stopped the effort.

It looks to me there is a massive issue on Homey with zwave, not specificly related to Greenwave nodes as I experience it also with Fibaro as explained above.

I am 65% dependend on zwave as most my devices use this. Homey is completly unreliable on this protocol for me so I have the same situation as before the complete rewrite.

Can someone confirm that also a complete z-wave reset does not solve your issues experiencing with an unstable zwave?

Looks there is more work to do for @Athom ;, shame this happend just before the official stable release that I am not experiencing as stable at all. 

@Annemarie FYI

• After updating to 1.0.1 all my Z-wave devices (Fibaro multi- and smoke sensors and Greenwave powerplugs) worked with 100% functionality. However, today I rebooted Homey (PTP) and now all Z-wave devices behave erratically. My Fibaro multisensors do report changes in lux values but they do not report any motion alerts to Homey. The Greenwave plugs do report their power usage but do not respond to on/off commands. I have to concur with @Jeroenvano , Z-wave is not stable at all at the moment.

• Can someone confirm that also a complete z-wave reset does not solve your issues experiencing with an unstable zwave?

I can confirm this. Did a complete Z-wave reset was well and nothing changed...
  • I'm growing into zwave, currently I managed to include a couple of wall plugs and a multi sensor.  I had problems with a Dimmer 2, eventually send it back to Fibaro (great support so far).
    What I noticed is once a device is included the zwave seems very stable, the proces of including is the real fight - there is def some room for improvement (feedback of status) from the controller / leasoned learned. My next steps will be to introduce a couple of dimmers and switches we will see if Homey is capable to deal with it - but again in my experience it is the inclusion proces and feedback to user that need improvement.
  • hnijveen said:
    I'm growing into zwave, currently I managed to include a couple of wall plugs and a multi sensor.  I had problems with a Dimmer 2, eventually send it back to Fibaro (great support so far).
    What I noticed is once a device is included the zwave seems very stable, the proces of including is the real fight - there is def some room for improvement (feedback of status) from the controller / leasoned learned. My next steps will be to introduce a couple of dimmers and switches we will see if Homey is capable to deal with it - but again in my experience it is the inclusion proces and feedback to user that need improvement.
    I have 5x Roller Shutter, 5x Dimmer2, 5x Dual Relay, 1x Single Relay, 1x Smoke sensor, 3x Motion Sensor.

So 20 devices is no problem at all for Homey.
  • @TedTolboom ;
    Tell me how I can get the log(file) and I will happily forward it to you!
  • I have many zwave devices to, i think 50+, not counting any more, battery, 12dc and 230v powered. Sometime is the reaction time 0-1sec, sometime 10-30min but is working.
  • viktor said:
    I have many zwave devices to, i think 50+, not counting any more, battery, 12dc and 230v powered. Sometime is the reaction time 0-1sec, sometime 10-30min but is working.
    10-30 min? That is not what you would call working right?
  • After my switch from Homewizard to Homey I started to add z-wave devices to my house. I bought a Fibaro switch and a fibaro multisensor.

The sensor should trigger the switch to turn on the light. Last wednesday I already added the sensor to homey and created a dummy flow to test the responsiveness. In general this was pretty good. Movement was picked up and Homey responded. This weekend I installed the switch and adjusted the flow. In the meanwhile Homey also updated to 1.0.1 (was 0.10.9).

From the Homey app I can switch on the light, responsiveness is reasonable. But Homey doesn't seam to react to the motion sensor. I can see the different values (movement, temperature,..), but it looks like they aren't 'realtime'. For example: when I walk by the sensor I am detected but Homey doesn't update the status.

The sensor gives feedback when it detects movement, a led lights up. So the sensor is working. The sensor is also in range of Homey. But it look likes Homey doesn't process the signal. Or it processes it with a big delay. 

Any tips? Will there be a update for z-wave? Is it a bug? It looks like I am not the only one with problems.
  • Peter4209 said:
    After my switch from Homewizard to Homey I started to add z-wave devices to my house. I bought a Fibaro switch and a fibaro multisensor.

The sensor should trigger the switch to turn on the light. Last wednesday I already added the sensor to homey and created a dummy flow to test the responsiveness. In general this was pretty good. Movement was picked up and Homey responded. This weekend I installed the switch and adjusted the flow. In the meanwhile Homey also updated to 1.0.1 (was 0.10.9).

From the Homey app I can switch on the light, responsiveness is reasonable. But Homey doesn't seam to react to the motion sensor. I can see the different values (movement, temperature,..), but it looks like they aren't 'realtime'. For example: when I walk by the sensor I am detected but Homey doesn't update the status.

The sensor gives feedback when it detects movement, a led lights up. So the sensor is working. The sensor is also in range of Homey. But it look likes Homey doesn't process the signal. Or it processes it with a big delay. 

Any tips? Will there be a update for z-wave? Is it a bug? It looks like I am not the only one with problems.
    Did a quick test with my fibaro PIR and TBK switch ....   the flow triggers.

Try to remove and add the HW and see 

• Hi,

The behavior that is described above is very similar to what I'm facing the last days. I have mainly zwave devices from Fibaro ( approx 15 x Dimmer 2, 2 z-wave PIR, 3 z-wave plus PIR).

I also removed all devices and performed a factory reset of the z-wave network due to unexpected performance issues. Unfortunately z-wave is still not functioning as it should....sometimes it's working....sometimes it is very slow and sometimes it is not working at all.

This is pretty annoying so hopefully Athom can fix this ASAP.

Thanks

I

• Yes, I too can confirm the doggy reliability of z-wave. It seems stable and fast after a PTP, and than slowly becomes irresponsive and unreliable.

• is there a GIT case in this ?   
  • Peter4209 said:
    After my switch from Homewizard to Homey I started to add z-wave devices to my house. I bought a Fibaro switch and a fibaro multisensor.

Some questions to understand your issues:
    - Did you change any settings / parameters on these devices (in particular the motion sensor)?
    - Is the responsiveness the same directly after a reboot or deteriorating over time?
    - When you have the device card open (seeing the motion sensor state), does it change when walking buy?
    - Can you share the flows that you are using to switch on the Fibaro switch?