This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

ring.com doorbell support on homey

zerocoolzerocool Member
edited November 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
I read lots of questions for oldpeople security and things. maybe the solution is adding ring.com doorbell support to homey. Since homey is wifi connected, and ring.com doorbell is wifi connected (and available at ifttt) maybe is their a direct connection possible (to avoid delay when someone is at your door)

Comments

• I hope when the new IFTTT is released the delay is gone.
  • +1 for Ring support direct on homey. I'm now using ifttt but sometimes it takes more then a minute that homey tells me someone is at my door.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited November 2016
    Ring does not have an open api yet, so supporting it native is kinda hard at the moment.

But do you have delays on ifttt and ring?
    Have it for more then half a year connected to homey. and it always looks if its realtime.
    The ifttt connection ring has is superfast for me.
  • I have also a delay of more then a minute. (motion & ringing)
  • Ring (Pro) is a very nice product. If it is a non open api, Athom could step in to get the b2b relation in place. Would love to see that happening.
  • Today friend visit me and after 5 min homey tells me someone is at my door ARGHHH.
  • Would be cool if the dashboard could show liveview when someone at the door
  • i found someone who found the API info on the internet.
    Now just someone who can make a Homey App

https://github.com/jeroenmoors/php-ring-api

• Cool, love to see that happening! Nice 1 @mruiter ;
  • jjtbsomhorstjjtbsomhorst Member
    edited November 2016
    I will take a look in a couple days. I just created a stub repository with some basic code over here. https://github.com/jjtbsomhorst/eu.jeroensomhorst.ringcom

Don't know if it works but it is a start. So if someone wants to fork it. Go ahead make my day
  • Wowww would be really great if someone could make a homey app for it much better then IFTTT.

• Anyone knows how they prevent this very expensive toy from not being removed/stolen from your front door? 

It seems to be installed with 2 simple screws from the outside?

• WHAT IF SOMEONE STEALS MY RING DOORBELL?

Ring Doorbell is equipped with proprietary security screws that keep the device securely mounted. If your Ring Doorbell is stolen, please contact us with a police report and we will replace it free of charge

https://ring.com/faq

• edited November 2016
    0burner0 said:

WHAT IF SOMEONE STEALS MY RING DOORBELL?

Ring Doorbell is equipped with proprietary security screws that keep the device securely mounted. If your Ring Doorbell is stolen, please contact us with a police report and we will replace it free of charge

https://ring.com/faq

Ring (the company) will block the Ring Doorbell (mac address) and the owner / Ring will have a video.
  • +1 would love to see this becoming available 
  • Nice product, too bad it seems you can only record to their cloud (€€€) and not to a local NAS.

CAN I RECORD/STORE THE VIDEO FROM THE CAMERA?

Yes. With our optional Cloud Video Recording service, all video footage and audio recordings captured by your Ring Doorbell is stored in our secure cloud servers for up to 6 months from the date of the activity. You can access and download these videos anytime with the Ring App or online at www.ring.com/account/activity. Ring Doorbells are not able to send videos to network attached local storage. All Ring Doorbells come with a 30 day trial of our Cloud Video Recording service that activates automatically when your Ring Doorbell comes online. After the thirty day trial period, optional Cloud Video Recording subscriptions are $3 USD/month or $30 USD/annually for each Ring Doorbell.

• jjtbsomhorstjjtbsomhorst Member
    edited November 2016
    Just wondering. For 3 dollars per month how long do these backups retain? 
  • edited November 2016

For you accessible: 6 months

I used to have a RIng (hardwire connection) and it was possible to see the recordings without a cloud VR service (maybe online for a short period - did not check). Now we have the Ring Pro and use the trial cloud sevice. After the trial I probably will not get the cloud service if I have the same functions earlier available with the Ring and invest some time in discovering what Ring-IFTTT is able to deliver.

• It’s actually 2.5 dollars a month and there are coupons around which even make it drop to 1.5 dollar a month.
    The nice thing about the cloud solution is the easy way i can look back from wherever i am.

The ring Always goes off when you’re doing something, so just a minute later you can watch back easily
  • mruiter said:
    It’s actually 2.5 dollars a month and there are coupons around which even make it drop to 1.5 dollar a month.
    The nice thing about the cloud solution is the easy way i can look back from wherever i am.

The ring Always goes off when you’re doing something, so just a minute later you can watch back easily
    Coupons?? Do you have a link?
  • I just received a black friday mail as a ring user. Everybody can use the code GIVERING to get $50 off at ring.com
  • a few weeks ago I received an offer from Ring: the Ring Pro for $99. 
  • Still available? $99 deal
  • edited November 2016
    No idea, it was an email from Ring.

• I contacted the support desk of Ring, there is going to be support for recording to a NAS in the future. 

no ETA yet.
  • @hnijveen Do you have a promocode in this email?
    I contacted Ring and they told me to use it.
  • edited November 2016
    No promocode. An in email button - url to log in to an existing Ring account to be able to order the Ring Pro.
  • Didnt get the email, have a Ring, and want to order one. Can you place the link?
    @hnijveen
  • edited November 2016
    pm me with your email address, I will forward the email - no guarantees ofc. 

• Asked Ring if I can still upgrade to Ring Pro for $99 hope it can. Now waiting for answer