This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

[Solved] Z-wave help needed (double dimmer)

MennoMenno Member
edited May 2017 in Questions & Help
Homey's,
In my livingroom I have a problem that I'm not sure how to fix. The problem is that I have an (almost broken) double dimmer (not zwave) and I want to replace it by z-wave products.

I did some googling and it seems that there is no double dimmer for zwave available, so I'm looking how I can manage both halogeen lights manual and through homey (zwave). I hope someone can tell me what parts I have to buy to get it working below I will show what I have now:

My double dimmer (inside there are two brown cables and one black)

The two halogeen lights

option1 = two buttons for on/off and to dim (manual and by homey)
option2 = two button for both lights on/off (manual) and on/off + dim for both lamps (by homey)
option3 = one button for both lights on/off (manual) and on/off + dim for both lamps (by homey)

If you know a sollution for my problem feel free to tell me ;-) with parts/products would be helpfull hoping to but it tomorrow (ehhh today already)
Tagged:

Comments

• is there enough space in/near one of the halogen lights to put a module?
  • what module are you talking about? so I can measure it? An quick check looks like 1,8 cm height space available
  • to put a dimming module there, in the wall there is only space for 1 dimmer module, because you are correct there are no dimmers with 2 outputs.

there are dimmers with 2 switches and 1 output (for light 1), and then place 1 module near/in the lamp casing/box where the wires come from for the second light.

so you can then assign switch 2 to the dimmer module near the lamp.

the fibaro dimmer module is already 20mm thick (2.0 cm) so that won't fit above the light.
  • @caseda ;

It's me again not sure that I understand it right (want to make sure before ordering)
    Should the following parts do the trick for me???

• yes thats wat you need to order! have the same setup in the kitchen :smiley: 
  • That should work yup, with that setup you can also dim by holding the switch on. 
  • Great will place the order today so hopfully I have something to do this weekend
  • JaapPeltJaapPelt Member
    edited November 2016
    Very interesting discussion.
    So is I understand correctly, you can configure the fibaro dimmer to work with a pulse switch?
    Short press: toggle light on/off
    Long press: dim lights (somehow)

The Fibaro guys really make some great stuff. Almost as good as the Athom guys
  • @JaapPelt ;I hope so. Receive the goods most likely tomorrow and have time for it on Saturday will keep you guys and girls informed.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    @JaapPelt ;
    if the dimmer 2 is in momentary switch mode it will start dimming if you hold the button, and stop once you release the switch

if the dimmer 2 is in toggle switch mode it will start dimming if you toggle on and off quickly, and stop again by toggling on and off quickly.
  • JaapPelt said:

So is I understand correctly, you can configure the fibaro dimmer to work with a pulse switch?

It's actually way easier to control with a pulse switch.  Toggle switches are not handy at all for dimmers...

• Hate waiting ARGHHHH but almost there.(ETA today between 12:00 and 15:30)
  • Yessss received the goods yesterday. 
    Today I connected the first dimmer in wall and to my suprise this one is working ;-)
    Followed following instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWL8Ow3OboE
    Homey recognized the dimmer in first try (with Fibaro app) 

On/Off/dim/bright working on homey
    On/Off/dim/bright working from manual usage

Now I'm Not 100% sure what I have to do with the black (schakeldraad/switchwire) cable of the second light I guess just connect it the dimmer?
    And where do I have to place the wires for the second light and dimmer at ceiling???

And yes I must admit I'm a wires/power NOOB but I'm trying
    hope someone can help me
  • SNIK don't get it to work ARGHHHHH
    Because getting dark replaced everything with old dimmer and no fibaro dimmer
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    @Menno ;
    i'll draw you a simple schematic this evening, so you can do it tomorrow :smile:
    how many wires do you have in the old dimmer box, just the feed (brown wire) and 2 switching wires? (black)
    and do you have a feed in the box, or nearby where the cable is coming from where the light is (brown wire) and the negative (blue wire)
  • Okay @caseda ; this is my situation

Wallbox (where my dimmer is see picture in first post) I have:

1 x Brown (Live wire)
    2 x Black (switch wire) 1 going to light above Table and 1 goning above TV

TV light

1 x Blue (is connected to my light)
    1 x Black (is connected to my light)
    1 x Brown (not connected to my light)

Table light

Havn't opened it yet but almost sure it's the same a TV light (And I believe I don't have to do anything there)

What I want to get done is:

Replace old dimmer with a push switch  and link left button to ceilingTV lights and right button to ceiling Table lights
    I can place 1 Fibaro dimmer 2 in my wallbox the other one I can place at my TV light at the ceiling

What I did to get 1 fibaro dimmer 2 in the wallbox working Is following instuctions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWL8Ow3OboE

But then I have one black  (switchwire) left over for the lights above TV

Hope it makes more sense to you
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    yep that is all the information i need to draw you something :smiley:
    if you followed the instruction it will become a little bit different then what i first had in mind, but actually even a little bit easier
    will need one edit inside homey to get it working that way though (if that works... otherwise it will become a flow)

can make it work without any edits or flows inside homey if you want to. :smile: but that will take a small change to what the people of robbshop showed you (with their awful music)
    and will leave you without any loose wires anywhere
  • No problem last option sounds good
  • @Menno ;
    ok, it became a little bit of a crude drawing :hushed: 
    but it should work, and sorry that it took so long :sweat_smile:

Near the wall switch it is almost the same as what you did in the video, the only change is that the second output of your switch isn't going to S2 of the dimmer 2, it will go to the wire to the other lamp.
    where it will be the input "S1" of that dimmer 2
  • @caseda ;  Whooo great drawing I must manage it with this. Going to try it many many thanks!
  • Ahhh not my day I did like the picture is showing:

the B button on fibaro dimmer broke in wallbox
    The wall pulse switch is not doing anything now???

I can pair the second dimmer 2 with homey and can control tv lights now with Homey

• i think the plastic bit that pushes on the real b-button got pushed inside, try to pry it out with a tiny screwdriver
  • Strange I change the S1 from right pulsebutton to the left one and now I can controle table light manual
  • caseda said:
    i think the plastic bit that pushes on the real b-button got pushed inside, try to pry it out with a tiny screwdriver
    If I'm right you can also use your switch to enable learning mode, isn't it? (handy if plastic bit is broken or when you already build in your device)
  • hnijveen said:
    caseda said:
    i think the plastic bit that pushes on the real b-button got pushed inside, try to pry it out with a tiny screwdriver
    If I'm right you can also use your switch to enable learning mode, isn't it? (handy if plastic bit is broken or when you already build in your device)
    correct, but only the S1 input not both of them.
  • Menno said:
    Strange I change the S1 from right pulsebutton to the left one and now I can controle table light manual
    hmm, how did you connect the switch? maybe you switched the plus (Sx) and one of the 2 outputs of the switch (going to first dimmer 2 (S1) and seconds dimmer 2 (S1)
  • @hnijveen  @caseda  indeed by changing the pulse button from  button 2 to button 1 I managed to detect it in homey and my lights above table I can controle with pulse button 1 (It would be more logical if it was on button 2)

I'm wondering if the pulse dimmer needs a second live wire for the second button or that the second button is defect (I don't think it's broken but you never know) I have asked robbshop and they told me the pulse dimmer only needs one live wire (brown cable)

I will add some pictures of wires I have at the moment BRB
  • Picture a bit unclear but will type it out:

Dimmer in wall
    1 Brown cable on L dimmer
    1 Black cable on switch sign (right side) dimmer
    S1 from dimmer --> pulsebutton left (rather have this to pulsebutton right)
    S2 empty
    Sx and N connected to --> pulsedimmer L
    1 Black cable directly connected to pulsedimmer second button

Dimmer in ceiling
    1 brown cable on L dimmer
    1 black cable on S1 (cable from second pulsebutton)
    1 blue cable going to conector and then 1 to N on dimmer and 1 on light blue cable
    1 black cable (I used a brown one) on switch sign (right side) --> going into lamp
  • MennoMenno Member
    edited November 2016
    I think I found the problem:

type 2020-us-205-101 that I ordered (company told me it would work) got 2 power in and 2 out (buttons)
    type 2020-us-205 (that I need) got 1 power in and 2 out (buttons)

Text from a website:
    Met 2 gescheiden stroombanen, 2 bedieningswippen. (dutch)
    With 2 separated powercircuits, 2 pulsebuttons

So @caseda  your drawing is perfect I will try to add a brown cable (just to make sure) I'm afraid it won't fit the wallbox with extra connector + cable