This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Smappee energy monitor

ReemsterReemster Member
edited April 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
Are there people here who use Smappee energy monitor (www.smappee.com) and can make a app for it? 

there is a API   https://smappee.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DEVAPI/SmappeeDevAPI+Home

Comments

• I search too for smappee Integration, i would spend money for this work
  • i think not many people have a smappee :'(
  • For a project where we try to measure the energy flows in homes I have connected the smappee to our own SensorHub and DB. But I'm unsure if I would build an app for the homey. I really like the idea of smappee, but trying to use it in the field revealed it is very unstable and can't be trusted.

I'm going to have a chat with the smappee guy's to see what there working on and give them feedback of our experience. But for now I scrapped the smappee of my work and home project lists since it just doesn't work good enough to really use it.

I really hope smappee to become a really solid product! It has lots of potential. But I guess I will find that out soon. Maybe will post an update here after the chat.

• I looked at Smappee, while browsing for some power meters, and initially it seems nice. Lots of similar devices exist, like Neurio, Curb, Aeon Labs Power Meter, Zipato Power Meter. However, the Smappee also has gas & water meter devices, which makes it interesting.

The API is also quite easy, so building an app wouldn't be that much work.

However, I have read that it is (was?) buggy, especially the mobile app, etc.

@AcE_Krystal: could you elaborate where it's unstable, is it the mobile app itself, or the readings ?
    Have you checked out the latest updates, has it improved ? Or did you completely ditch Smappy ?
  • I have a flukso. (https://www.flukso.net/content/fluksometer-v3e) anyone with a Flukso here ?
  • HellHound said:
    I looked at Smappee, while browsing for some power meters, and initially it seems nice. Lots of similar devices exist, like Neurio, Curb, Aeon Labs Power Meter, Zipato Power Meter. However, the Smappee also has gas & water meter devices, which makes it interesting.

The API is also quite easy, so building an app wouldn't be that much work.

However, I have read that it is (was?) buggy, especially the mobile app, etc.

@AcE_Krystal: could you elaborate where it's unstable, is it the mobile app itself, or the readings ?
    Have you checked out the latest updates, has it improved ? Or did you completely ditch Smappy ?
    The web and mobile app of smappee seem rather solid. It is the readings that are now solid.

Smappee is missing a lot of devices going ON or OFF what makes it basically "okay" for reading the total energy flows in your house but for a bit of a high price. The problems that I found when testing it in 3 different houses are:
    - Seems it does not pick up devices with a power consumption of less then ~40 watts increments ever ~3 seconds.
    - It measures if devices are ON or OFF by also looking at the amount of increment or decrease is watts used. This means if a devices uses 1154 watts, it will recognize when the current energy flow is increasing or decreasing by ~1154 watts. (it seems they also do a bit of startup and shutdown patern tracking). But it isn't solid enough to deal with for example a pc using 1000 watts on startup (500 watt for PC + 2x 250 watt for screens),  but when shutting down giving directly a -500 watt, and ~20 seconds later the screens go in sleep mode giving they other -500 watt. Smappee will not know that this is the PC of 1000 watt turning off.

Also you need to spent a lot of hours to deploy/teach smappee your devices in your house. Only your refrigerator has already like 9 different power consumtion states, that will show up as 9 different (but very close) un-named devices that you need to figure out this is your refrigerator.

At the moment I'm just using the P1 port or pulse counters combined with a RBpi (OdroidC1+) and some python scripts. But I'm still looking around for a cheap way of monitoring all electronic devices in a home.
  • I am a user of Smappee. But i think a can't make a app for it. 
    Maybe a developer? 
  • Reemster said:
    Are there people here who use Smappee energy monitor (www.smappee.com) and can make a app for it? 

there is a API   https://smappee.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DEVAPI/SmappeeDevAPI+Home
    +1
  • gusti said:
    Reemster said:

+1
    Would be cool to integrate smappee.  Total Power consumption and water and gas consumption are reliable.  Individual power consumptions of individual devices are approx. at best.  I would care about integrating those.
  • anyone living near Arnhem by any change who owns this?
  • I do have one, but live in Belgium.
    Did you get in contact with the smappee guys?
    They just might send you one FOC...