This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Making speech more natural

Homey is not (always) listening very well, this is allready discussed in another discussion topic.

So at my home we all have to call Homey many times to get him to understand what we would like.

It would me more natural if homey starts listening a few seconds aften every action he has done. So you could ask him again if he did not hear it right the first time, but also to give him an extra action to do.

For example, now at my home it goes like this:
1,2)Ok homey...
(not understood)
3,4,5)Ok homey... 
(he did understood and waits for my command)
3a,4a,5a)televisie aan
(not understood)

7)Ok homey...
(he did understood)
7a)televisie aan
(he understood and does it)
Now sometime you want to tel something extra such as "mute the volume" or "turn the lights on".

It is not natural and would be nicer if he waits a bit for me saying another command, just like siri does.

For now, especially with the bad hearing of homey it would be nice if we all don't have to call him all the time again with "ok homey"

Another suggestion:
Also would it not be nice if it could react on clapping your hands instead of calling him "ok homey".
So if you clap your hands and the lights go on.

Something like:
clapping twice...homey listens
clap once while he listens... turn lights on
clap twice while he listens... turn lights off

Comments

• Pils said:

1,2)Ok homey...
    (not understood)
    3,4,5)Ok homey... 

At what distance are you trying this?
    Because I think the 'ok homey' is working ok for most people?

Pils said:

Another suggestion:
    Also would it not be nice if it could react on clapping your hands instead of calling him "ok homey".

Something like:

Don't think this is a very realistic scenario.
    Do you see yourself clapping your hands all the time? :)

And what lights should it turn on/off then?
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited November 2016
    Fire69 said:
    You can`t say that without knowing most people. The success rate of the trigger here is less than 60%. Of course it is much better than it used to be but it depends a lot on tone of your voice. At the morning when I have deeper more relaxed voice than it works, later not really. I think they need tho extend the number of samples they took.

Yeah clapping won`t work.
  • ZperX said:
    Fire69 said:
    You can`t say that without knowing most people. The success rate of the trigger here is less than 60%. Of course it is much better than it used to be but it depends a lot on tone of your voice. At the morning when I have deeper more relaxed voice than it works, later not really. I think they need tho extend the number of samples they took.

Yeah clapping won`t work.
    That's why I added the ? at the end :) 
    If I recall correctly they sampled several 100 people's voices for the new trigger. If that's not enough, I don't think even more will make a difference.

I think they need to work on the signal processing / noise cancelation / volume control / . . . 
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited November 2016
    If I recall correctly they had 1000 voice sample. You might be right that it is more about tuning the microphone and or course signal processing. Could be either. Anyway standard user won`t be bothered about the reasons, return the product...
  • The succes rate of "ok homey" at distance of 2 meter is fine.
    but when i am at the dinner table (5 meters away) even the "ok homey" not always work.
    If you add those up with the extra times you need to say the command, you hear a lot (too much) "ok homey" at our place.

but my point about the Natural speaking is more about the not having to say "ok homey" again after it mis understood my command.

so if "ok homey... dinner" does not work the first time, i only should have to repeat the second part "dinner" because of my suggestion to listen a few secondes after each command.

the clapping hands is more an extra when it is noisy, so forget about that for now.

• Fire69 said:
    Pils said:

1,2)Ok homey...
    (not understood)
    3,4,5)Ok homey... 

At what distance are you trying this?

Pils said:

Another suggestion:

Something like:

Don't think this is a very realistic scenario.
    Do you see yourself clapping your hands all the time? :)

And what lights should it turn on/off then?

For me OK Homey also does not work in 30 % of the time.
  • ZperX said:
    [...]Anyway standard user won`t be bothered about the reasons, return the product...
    True!

Pils said:

so if "ok homey... dinner" does not work the first time, i only should have to repeat the second part "dinner" because of my suggestion to listen a few secondes after each command.

I agree, it should just say it didn't understand you (like Google, Alexa, Siri, ... does).
    But of course that will only work when it didn't understand you at all.  If it just misunderstood you, this will not solve your problem :)
  • "OK homey" still doesn't work for me as well most of the times.
     I keep repeating myself over and over again. I am in distance of 2- 6 mtrs from Homey.
    The trigger itself works okayish, the actual command, i.e turning lights on or off in Dutch (am using Hue) most of the times doesn't work. If I then switch over over to Siri, it works most of the times instantly..
    So, compared to Siri (with iPad attached to charger) it works 9/10 times...so same experience as @Pils ..

• "OK homey" still doesn't work for me as well most of the times.
     I keep repeating myself over and over again. I am in distance of 2- 6 mtrs from Homey.
    It works almost perfectly here... if I'm less than 1m away from Homey  :p
  • This thread is not about the good or bad hearing or listening of homey.
    There is another thread allready for that...
  • Fire69 said:
    "OK homey" still doesn't work for me as well most of the times.
    Might not only be your Homey then, but also your buddy :wink:  Don't get too close and tell him you're pregnant.. :smiley: 

• Pils said:
    This thread is not about the good or bad hearing or listening of homey.
    There is another thread allready for that...
    I agree that Homey needs to feedback to you once it had not understand something. We don't need to create all kind of rulesets to accomplish this. 
    If Homey goes retail, this is a first one would expect from the product. Feedback on what has been said to Homey, no total silence..
  • Fire69 said:
    It works almost perfectly for you and NOT MOST OF THE PEOPLE!!! :p For me works the speech very very bad and this is fact. I have here amazon echo dot and this is very very good, from distance 0,5m-5meter no problem.
  • olive said:
    Fire69 said:
    It works almost perfectly for you and NOT MOST OF THE PEOPLE!!! :p For me works the speech very very bad and this is fact. I have here amazon echo dot and this is very very good, from distance 0,5m-5meter no problem.
    That 'almost perfect' was ironic in case you didn't notice. ;)  I have to go sit on my knees in front of it to use speech.  Wouldn't call that perfect. :)
    Have you tried talking to it from less than 1 meter?
  • Fire69 said:
    olive said:
    Fire69 said:
    That 'almost perfect' was ironic in case you didn't notice. ;)  I have to go sit on my knees in front of it to use speech.  Wouldn't call that perfect. :)
    Have you tried talking to it from less than 1 meter?
    I tried everything, and for me is this not acceptable because i see echo dot works like a charme.
  • olive said:
    I tried everything, and for me is this not acceptable because i see echo dot works like a charme.
    For me neither  ;)
This discussion has been closed.