This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Fibaro, what to select?

What the difference between the pointed at devices (other than the color, you smartasses) ? The name is the same, the image is the same, so what do I pick when adding a device?

Comments

• They are different versions . Hover your mouse over the name and you will see the complete names. 
  • I guess people still don't know if they see" ... ", or rather An Ellipsis, that there is something Behind the word(s)

Fibaro Motion Sensor <= no Ellipsis!
    Fibaro Motion Sens... <= Ellipsis! :astonished:

/end of rant, needed to get that out of my system
  • The question is fair.  Of course you can see the whole name if you hover on it but that is not user friendly. It is one of the smallest issues, so I guess no one wanted to report it.

Solution: delete Fibaro from the name. (Of course all of them are fibaro as the user clicked on the Fibaro product family). That would give enough space for the missing bits.

• Let's just hope Fibaro doesn't come up with v3 versions of each...
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2016
    @RamonBaas ;;;;;
    oh they will make it even worse then v3, everything in Z-wave plus version, and the name still the same (like the motion sensor already is)

just look at the wallplug, already 2 versions (v101 and v102), same name = wall plug, and the upcoming z-wave plus version (v102 Gen5), = still wall plug :D

so we defently need to find a better way then just removing the "Fibaro" in the name

something like... categories in the device list? or able to combine devices that include the same, like the dimmers to 1 device, the relays to 1 device, motion sensors to 1 device, etc
  • @caseda Thanks for jumping to my scarcasm ;). But you are fully right that the number of devices needs to be brought down and combined.
    (BTW: in general the Homey model of a different device per physical device doesn't scale well, leading to lots of different devices, apps and unnecessary memory usage).
  • Categories would bring another level of something to select, wouldn't be my first choice. Removing the brand name would be a start, but simply allowing two lines for the name would solve most issues.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2016
    i don't think they will allow 2 line names, they didn't want it for flow cards.. so yeah.

removing the brand is the only option for now unfortunately
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited October 2016
    Or just remove the entire device selection process (since the driver picks the right device itself) and tell the user to RTFM to know how to put the device in inclusion mode  :p
  • Fire69 said:
    Or just remove the entire device selection process (since the driver picks the right device itself) and tell the user to RTFM to know how to put the device in inclusion mode  :p
    If this is true then maybe add only one device (not the different versions) like Dimmer, Flood Sensor, Smoke Sensor, Relay Switch, Roller Shutter, Motion Sensor, Flood Sensor. This will reduce 50% of the list and still give you the instructions on how to put that specific device in inclusion mode (as mostly this will not be different per version I assume).
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited November 2016
    Fire69 said:
    Or just remove the entire device selection process (since the driver picks the right device itself) and tell the user to RTFM to know how to put the device in inclusion mode  p
    And while they're at it, remove the brand selection. This is also read from the device. When a brand is seen for the first time, inform the user and take him/her to the app store.
    (Maybe even split up the apps into specific drivers per device, so you will only download drivers for devices you have.)
  • That would only work for z-wave devices. What I like about the current "add device" way of things and with apps & drivers and all, is that it doesn't care about the protocol.
  • Fire69 said:
    They are different versions . Hover your mouse over the name and you will see the complete names. 

Not here. I see this when I hover the mouse:

Win10/65 Chrome. No way to see what's what.
  • djeskodjesko Member
    edited November 2016

Hold mouse over name 

win10 / chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 m (64-bit)

• try to hover the name ;)
  • Ahhhh, now it makes sense.... Not really a user friendly part of the userinterface. Thanks all.
  • I'm just adding a device as a standard Z-Wave device, as soon as it notices that there is a driver with a devices specific name it adds the device as the correct device. 
  • RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited November 2016
    Arjan said:
    I'm just adding a device as a standard Z-Wave device, as soon as it notices that there is a driver with a devices specific name it adds the device as the correct device. 
    Yes, if you know how to set the device in learning mode.
    If you select the device from the list, as posted in the image above, you'll get instructions on how to set the device in learning mode.
    That's the only difference between your method (@Arjan) and selecting a device from the list.
  • Arjan said:
    I'm just adding a device as a standard Z-Wave device, as soon as it notices that there is a driver with a devices specific name it adds the device as the correct device. 
    Just read this is possible over at GoT, didn't know that before.
    Quite handy if you know the procedure and have the app installed already :)
  • Fire69 said:
    Arjan said:
    Just read this is possible over at GoT, didn't know that before.
    Quite handy if you know the procedure and have the app installed already :)
    And on Fibaro.com you can find step by step instructions for every device, how to place it in learning mode.
  • I saw a Pull Request on the Fibaro Github of @caseda on which he removes the Fibaro name of all devices: https://github.com/athombv/com.fibaro/pull/64/commits/ff02d6ab0aa54d040d3e5130d0f65fc9341ab974
  • Seems like a logical choice to fix the unreadable names, you already know it's a Fibaro right?  :p
  • Slightly off-topic, but not entirely: I currently only have KAKU devices, but I want to start adding Z-Wave plus devices and sensors.

Does Homey only support the Z-wave devices for which there is a app in the app-store? Or does it support every Z-wave (plus) device and is the app only for the instructions how to acces learning mode on the device?
  • @Peter4209 ;
    Every z-wave is supported.
    if there is no app for it installed it will be installed as a BASIC (on off) device.
    so things like switches and sockets will most likely work.

more complex devices like sensors are not really supported out of the box without app, as in, motion might work, but no temperature/lux/humidity etc
  • @caseda ;
    Domoticz uses somekind of an open z-wave library. With this library domoticz supports almost every z-wave device. Can we implement the same library (maybe as app) on Homey? that would save an app for every brand.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited November 2016
    @Peter4209 ;;
    it's not just somekind of open z-wave, it is Open Z-Wave
    but that will never happen, open z-wave uses a totally different way of controlling devices.
    and it has a lot of mistakes in it.
    i wouldn't even want to use it so many mistakes

i would rather use openHab's library, but even that has some mistakes.
    and also using a different way of working of course

homey's library is just small at the moment, but can become a lot bigger then open z-wave because homey is more versatile, and it is the only (mostly) open source controller (community build-able) that can control all command classes (even though there are some bugs at the moment that make it seem like it can't)
    even the once that are still to come are easy implementable (is that even a word? :astonished: )

those 2 didn't become so big in 1 year also :wink: 
    so just give it some time :smile: