This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

IP camera's, trigger-zones and timeframes from within Homey for scene's/scenario's

Hellow Emile,

I'm experimenting with IP cameras from Axis (currently using Vera Edge, Synology, 30x Hue, 10x Fibaro, and 10x kinds of sensors) in a big proof of concept experiment.

I was wondering if Homey will support (initially or eventually?) camera/movement support OUTSIDE of the features of tehe camera.

I'm asking, because I think it would be nice to have camera images (non-movable camera's in this thoughtexperiment) feeding to Homey, where you could "color" part of the picture red and set parameters of how much % you want to have changed in what timeframe (setting) to cause a trigger for a scenario/scene. E.g. I would want to create a "red" trigger zone, define that if >10% of that zone changes <5 minutes. This way I could ignore pets easily, Homey would only have to compare 2 pictures every -say- 3 seconds, and refresh the "old" compare picture only every 5 minutes. I think the load would be very doable, and the possibilities so much better than using all kinds of (most of the time) difficult features of all different IP camera's and such.

This way I would have ONE central place for home automation, even do the most important parts for security in that place and hook up scene's and actions.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Wow, you are talking about 40+ devices who are managed by Homey. And those are not only "fire-and forget" devices but devices who are communicating with Homey much more frequent. Thereby you are asking if Homey can do also camera analysis at the same time? I think it is pretty much to do on the same time. If you want this, maybe you need a better processor and working memory.
  • AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited January 2015
    Thx for your reply. I'm talking about 100+ devices. :-) The calculation power for this should be negligible, however, this is an educated guess, I might be wrong. Mind you, are 100 devices interacting idle and only triggering on changes and set polling intervals which are generally quite long periods.

If implemented efficiently, a Raspberry Pi can do about 3 cameras at 0.3 fps with 12% CPU at low res pictures. Snapshots in higher res should be taken only on trigger...our is that's too heavy, leaving high res to e.g. a Synology BAS, letting homey only doing the triggers for scenes.

(http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45235)

As I remember it, I read somewhere that Homey's hardware is much faster than a Raspberry Pi.

Concluding, this would suffice for me.

I'd love to read Emile's perspective on this. (And others' ofcourse.)
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We really have to test this thoroughly. Constant image processing will use up a lot of resources, and may therefore decrease overall performance. We'll of course start with letting the camera itself do the work, and using Homey to receive motion events.
  • I use ZoneMinder (Open Source, Linux) for analyzing the stream from my Foscam FI9805W. It eats up all CPU on an Intel Atom D525... but works rather nicely. I suspect this will be too heavy for Homey.
  • PauluzPauluz Member
    edited September 2015

Don't forget that the whole idea behind "homey" is replacing only remote controls ; -) I understand you all want more. But isn't it something for a Homey v.2.0? Just lets get started, and enjoy what it can offer you for now and be happy ;-)

• honeyhoney Member
    edited September 2015

Pauluz said:
    whole idea behind "homey" is replacing only remote controls ; -)

Strongly disagree. If that would be the case me and many others would not not pay 320 euro just to replace the remote controls. It is part of the concept for sure but homey is about bringing together all the wireless home automation protocols to create the most comprehensive home automation controller and also allowing users to create and share apps.

Oh yes, this is on the timeline! Teach every dumb camera new tricks by streaming the images through Homey. Maybe even connect an usb webcam to the OTG port..? Who knows, it's not close on our timeline but I've spent some time thinking about it already. I think the current webcam interfaces are just horrible.

• Timeline? +2

(When) are you guys going to share it with the community?

When we've got the final hardware and it's validated I'm gonna make an awesome infographic :-) We're aware that sharing information is important!

• Awesome +1

• This is great I am so disappointed with the Fibaro HC2 at the moment not supporting rstp streams and the h264 codec. Hopefully homey can replace this in the near future.

• As I wrote earlier, my main interest for starting this thread would not be storing/streaming full video of many cam's for me or my prospects. For that I can use Synology Surv.station as storage/NAS backend. Picture-to-picture comparing however could be a job for Homey. It doesn't have to be that much CPU, as long as you don't compare too many still images. For example, every 2 or 3 seconds comparing 2 still images per camera to detect change-zones for triggers/alerts should be way enough adition, if done by Homey. Not talking about face recognition, I have no idea if that's intensive for still images, though I would be VERY interested in that.

I don't see Homey being powerfull enough to do full video streaming, comparing en using. But maybe it's possible?

A small prediction/vision on my part: Camera's though are probably going to play a BIG role as sensor replacements next-years future domotica. You could eliminate door/window sensors, people-recognition systems with tags, RFID, beacons, etc., light sensors, eliminate fire and smoke detectors, PIR's, etc.. You can do that ALL with software and camera's. I think this will be a big cost + time + installation saver in the next few years-future. A lot of camera's even support audio recording and a little speaker (the Axises that I have). No need for small/secondary Homey's, just buy the 500 euro faster Homey Pro with camera's with microphone and small speakers. ;-) It would open a market for dumb camera's, and if adding tamper/vibrate/temp sensor it would be complete.....apart from measuring CO/CO2/O2 maybe.

• It will be great if we can see the ipcam stream on a google Crome cast device.

• jovink said:
    It will be great if we can see the ipcam stream on a google Crome cast device.

+1

• I'm actually not sure how it works, but wouldn't it be possible to do the motion detection in the camera and use the RTSP stream to only send motion information to homey? I believe the Synology surveillance station does something similar.

• Not all cameras have motion detection and the ones who do are more expensive

• The Foscam cams I have do have motion detection and they're only 80 bucks.

• Yep, 2 of them here also, works OK for 80€ :-)

• Is the Foscam supported by Homey ?

We don't (officially) support camera's until later, when the super-awesome-camera module is ready :)

• can't wait :-), suc6 with your great product.

finaly Domotica like the the Technology of Star Trek.

• I'd like to enable/disable the motion sensor on my foscams when I leave/come home (it spams my mailbox when someone is home because of all the movement.
    This is possible with something like this: http://YOURIP:YOURPORT/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=setMotionDetectConfig&isEnable=1&linkage=10&snapInterval=2&sensitivity=1&triggerInterval=5

Will we be able to integrate this into a flow?

That's super easy to integrate in an app :)

• Emile, would be a cool feature to be able to make http calls in the flow editor.

Hm, it's usually a little bit trickier than that. There are several methods (GET, POST, PUT etc.). But hey, it's literally a few lines of code for an app to create that flow block!

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited October 2015

Post and Get should be enough for most appliances :p

That way it would be more accessible for people who are not able to code (even if it would be just a few lines)

• Then someone should create an app and users will be able to download it from the store.
    C'mon guys, don't put everything Athom

• True true

• MichielvMichielv Member
    edited October 2015

I found new kickstarter called ulo, this device is 100% IFTTT compatible https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vivienmuller/ulo it is worth to look at it :)

• Athomey said:

A small prediction/vision on my part: Camera's though are probably going to play a BIG role as sensor replacements next-years future domotica. You could eliminate door/window sensors, people-recognition systems with tags, RFID, beacons, etc., light sensors, eliminate fire and smoke detectors, PIR's, etc.. You can do that ALL with software and camera's. I think this will be a big cost + time + installation saver in the next few years-future. A lot of camera's even support audio recording and a little speaker (the Axises that I have). No need for small/secondary Homey's, just buy the 500 euro faster Homey Pro with camera's with microphone and small speakers. ;-) It would open a market for dumb camera's, and if adding tamper/vibrate/temp sensor it would be complete.....apart from measuring CO/CO2/O2 maybe.

:smiley:  http://mashable.com/2015/10/26/qualcomm-conscious-camera/#2yTIpaTqeGq6