This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

How to get a button in the Homey android app to start a flow.

Hi, I have made a flow: a computer startup (with the app wake on lan), if I say "computer on', then start computer such and forth.
But as you al know, the speech recognition is just dreadful.

Now I would like to use the android app to create a button I could push (computer is at the attic, so), and then a flow starts.
But, obviously I am missing a piece of the puzzle, I don't know how to do that.

How do I create a button in the android app to start a flow?

Best regards, H

Comments

• Install Better Logic, create a boolean-variable and then add a bitflip-device. Works like a charm :smiley: 
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi,

You can use the Better Logic app for that.
    Install the app, create a boolean variable.
    Create a flow that when that boolean is set to true, the computer has to start.
    Then you add a new Better Logic device, which is called a BitFlip device.
    This will appear in the app.  When you flip it, the flow runs and your computer starts  :)

[edit]
    Damnit, beaten by the bot again!  :D

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited October 2016
    Your explanation is much more elaborate B
  • 2mv2mv Member
    You are fast! Both of you
    It did the trick wonderfully, thank you

• I tried this, but can't get it to work.

I created a boolean variable. I added the BitFlip device. I can switch the Bitflip device and see the boolean value change from 'false'  to 'true'.  That works..

However, if a create a flow that uses the changed boolean value as a trigger (in first column it has the 'variable changed" and in the second 'value is true' ) to start a flow, it doesn't work...

Can a kind soul please post an example flow... Thanks!!!
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited October 2016
    @Eternity ;;

This flow works on speech and I have the switch in the android app .
    The flow with the speech you don't have to make, it's just I wanna use speech to turn the tv/reciever on
  • @mbalik79 ;

Thank you Sir!
    I had the wrong trigger in the first colom; I had BL as a variable, not a device.

Well test tonight!

• EternityEternity Member
    edited October 2016
    Strange... My speech activated Flow has been working for weeks...but the BitFlip additions don't work...
    The Harmony Hub activity initiates my Receiver and TV. That activity is named "Film Kijken".
    I created a BL variable as Boolean with the name "Film Kijken", and added it as a device in Homey.
    Flipping the switch doesn't do anything...
  • My guess is u need the bitflip in the first flow?
  • AmelsfortAmelsfort Member
    edited October 2016
    If I remember correctly, 'activate flow' means the flow will just be enabled, but not started. So after switching the BitFlip-device, you would still have to say something.

I think you should move the BitFlip-trigger to the upper flow and move the speech-trigger to a flow which changes the BitFlip-device. That way you can use the mobile app to turn on the TV and also use speech.
  • Your flow with the BitFlip (second screenshot) is not correct.
    Activating a flow doesn't start it.  It just makes it available (it puts a checkmark in front of it when you check your list of flows).
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks guys, I was not aware of the fact that activating a flow, did not start it!

• Great! So another happy homey user?
  • Just a question,
    When I reset the bitflip in a flow, the status in the 'device' is not updated?

• Just a question,
    When I reset the bitflip in a flow, the status in the 'device' is not updated?

Could you more explane?
  • Was not aware of the BitFlip functionality uutill now, had a workaround for this but this simpllifies a lot! 
  • I can confirm it is working for me!
    It is great to be able to use a 'switch' to trigger a bunch of devices.