This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Competitor/Alternative - HomeOne

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazyfrog/homeone-next-gen-ai-and-community-powered-home-aut?ref=category_newest
seems really pretty, and better flow managament (also comunity sharing flow and reward)

Comments

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited September 2016
    "BlackBox uses 433MHz radio"... I presume they have a webserver too but no Voice, Zwave, IR and RF is unclear. They put in some sensors measuring temperature and humidity... And their sockets are really expensive...
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited September 2016
    The controller seems to only support it's own products with a closed radio frequency. Totally a different concept than Homey that tries to support as many products and protocols.

(this is not for me)
  • the only better things infact it's only the flow management
  • The price of those sockets/plugs...  :o
    And no z-wave. 

It has some nice features though! 
  • Sommo said:
    the only better things infact it's only the flow management
    I like the "Block" concept too. It provides a lot of functionality and is relatively easy. 

I use something similar for Android Apps,

• This block concept is exactly like domoticz

and i liked it very much way easier to make a flow 

also a good option would be a lua flow 
  • Ronneman said:
    Sommo said:
    the only better things infact it's only the flow management
    I like the "Block" concept too. It provides a lot of functionality and is relatively easy. 

I use something similar for Android Apps,

I've mentioned this many times before WE NEED A BLOCKLY type of flow editor. The software is free to use. Stop adding functionality to the current flow editor. Think! why are so many home automation products using this interface? Even kids can use it (Scratch)

Even when all the technical issues have been resolved, I will not use Homey unless it has a blockly type of interface. I'm not planning to create a few 100 flows using all kind of tricks!

I like to hear from Athom. What are they planning to do concerning the Flow editor? @emile

https://developers.google.com/blockly/ 

• In the few days that my Homey was working I found the flow editor also not working on a logical way.
    Sometimes 3, 4, 5 flows for something simple to do by missing an "else" or "elseif" statement.

In one of the treads here a became notice of Blocky. That was a huge different in easiness to work with.

For the benefit of the sale of Homey's I agree with JohanKuster that a change to a Blocky type of flow editor is a must.
  • Totally agree. That is the best way to make complex flow easily. Now in UK the MIT Scratch is part of the education in primary school.
    I know why Athom wan`t stick to their "flow" editor:
    • Tokens (altough I think it could be incorporated to the Blockly layout)
    • Want to be unique (I don`t think you need to reinvent the wheel especially if it is square)
    • Very simple (but for many it is too simple and limited)
    • They don`t want to spend much time to redesign it. However I would like to point out that the Kickstater campaign suggested a more complex editor (see the fork, and the line): 

They should just get rid of the columns (or have that option for advanced users) and allow us to connect the nods on large canvas:

1.jpg 19.1K
  • I guess people don't read all the posts on the forum cause it has been discussed so many times already. 

They are already busy with a flow editor 2.0 that has all the options that we want (or, better and, better then) 
    Trello card with all to be added options

So just have some patience
  • Thank you, like u said, never read about floweditor 2.0, thank you again, i ll be waiting
  • Don`t have high expectation. It is not 2.0, it is the flow editor with improvements. It is the same concept just they will add IF, ELSE and variable improvements.
  • When they start adding the "or" ability to the flow manager will need a practically full rewrite, the way it is working now it is not possible at all. 

So it could be called 2.0 (probably won't because it is still before homey FW v1.*)
  • They called it improvement not rewrite. End even when they say rewrite should be divided with by 2. I expected to tackle the range issue with Z-wave rewrite...
    Also Emile said: No, we will not make an advanced editor like that. The current flow editor allows for almost all scenarios, and is much more user friendly imho

I wish if they would revamp the flow editor but have no realistic reason to expect that in the near future.
  • Would a normal user knowing what a variable is and how to used it?
    What I read here in treads that you have set a variable in-between dozens off brackets or square brackets.
    That's for me not to follow anymore.

When still they say that the Flow Editor here is better then a Blocky type editor, then shall I miss that better part of the Flow Editor.
  • Or have a double editor like the fibaro HC2 has. A simple one for anyone, a more advanced one for people who can not code but wan't a little more complexity in their flows (and fibaro has a third option to write your own with lua for the coders).
    I am not a coder but I would really like to make some more advanced flows. I would keep on using the simple editor for flows on the fly (on a mobile device and such)
  • Aaron said:
    Or have a double editor like the fibaro HC2 has. A simple one for anyone, a more advanced one for people who can not code but wan't a little more complexity in their flows (and fibaro has a third option to write your own with lua for the coders).
    I am not a coder but I would really like to make some more advanced flows. I would keep on using the simple editor for flows on the fly (on a mobile device and such)
    I definitely like to have the lua option. It's easy to learn and very powerful. Also a way to create a Virtual Device would be nice.
  • Zipato uses similar blocks as well. 

In all honesty - I'm running both systems side by side so I would really appreciate Homey having the same flow options as mentioned above.
  • WouterNLDWouterNLD Member
    edited October 2016
    HomeOne is canceled by the way. 
  • That was quick... 
  • caseda said:
    When they start adding the "or" ability to the flow manager will need a practically full rewrite, the way it is working now it is not possible at all. 

So it could be called 2.0 (probably won't because it is still before homey FW v1.*)
    Agree, the flow manager is as it is sufficient and not in any way prio compaired to e.g. the zwave  / ir/ media issues
  • hnijveen said:
    caseda said:
    When they start adding the "or" ability to the flow manager will need a practically full rewrite, the way it is working now it is not possible at all. 

Agree, the flow manager is as it is sufficient and not in any way prio compaired to e.g. the zwave  / ir/ media issues
    I don't understand it. Why can't they work on the flow editor and zwave etc issues at the same time? Who is doing the programming anyway? I doubt everybody has knowledge of everything. So I guess there is somebody specialized in front-end ui stuff and others work on the core? What I (not?) see is mostly related to the back-end. I don't want to wait until all the back-end stuff works, I want to create some flows using Zwave and the apps that are currently available. I can't do it at the moment because the flow editor is just not good enough. Show me some progress PLEASE!

The speed at which this is progressing doesn't make me happy. And now they even aim for bigger releases in larger intervals. Don't do it! The big changes cannot be managed properly and are mostly too late, too expensive and not what the customer wants. The bigger the release the larger the list of bugs. There is a good reason why companies start using Scrum. Faster, smaller and high quality. 

IF they ever get this to work properly, the hardware will be outdated. The competition may not support all the protocols but I would be surprised if they can't beat Homey regarding speech recognition and easy of use. By the way who wants to use ALL those protocols at the same time?

• @JohanKuster ;;
    Really..?
    Who says they aren't working on zwave and the enhanced flow manager at the same time. 

Do you even understand how complex homey really is? 

With reactions like "I can't make flows because it is just not good enough", isn't that just Your inability?
    Because even without the "or"  etc you can do Everything already, even though you need just (a few) flows more then when you do have the ability of "or". 
    But still you try to blame athom for it... 

Even though you are right about the big updates might contain more bugs, look at the rate they are fixing it all (and more) now. Because of this last big update. The bugs could still get there if they went with small updates, then it is just spread out and nothing more.

"who wants to use all these protocols at the same time" well I do for 6 out of 8 protocols they are implementing, and I'm sure other people will use those other 2 as well. 
    Just because you won't, definitely doesn't mean other people will.

• caseda said:
    @JohanKuster ;;
    Really..?
    Who says they aren't working on zwave and the enhanced flow manager at the same time. 

Do you even understand how complex homey really is? 

With reactions like "I can't make flows because it is just not good enough", isn't that just Your inability?
    Because even without the "or"  etc you can do Everything already, even though you need just (a few) flows more then when you do have the ability of "or". 
    But still you try to blame athom for it... 

Even though you are right about the big updates might contain more bugs, look at the rate they are fixing it all (and more) now. Because of this last big update. The bugs could still get there if they went with small updates, then it is just spread out and nothing more.

"who wants to use all these protocols at the same time" well I do for 6 out of 8 protocols they are implementing, and I'm sure other people will use those other 2 as well. 
    Just because you won't, definitely doesn't mean other people will.

I'm waiting for the new flow editor that was promised long ago. If they don't give any details or any sign of progress I can only conclude they are not working on it.

How complex it is? I'm a developer myself. We (just 4 people!) are developing software many 100 thousand lines of code. Our application is used 24/7 worldwide by a major bank. Believe me, I know what complexity is!

My inability? Give me a break. Try to think beyond your own perceptions. Who is supposed to use and buy Homey? Is it build for nerds or the average guy?  Let's be honest who are the visitors of this forum? Creating extra flows and using variables etc is a no go for the average guy. It is also a no go for me and not because I can't but because I don't want to. I will take a lot of time, it is not user friendly, I risk loosing the flows, future updates will probably make them useless, the software is not stable...etc 

But suppose I am the average guy and I am mentioning here that I don't understand your "or" solution, which seems a very real risk to me. Is it then my inability or Athom's? If Homey can only be used by nerds it has no future. Think about that.

Big updates? I guess everybody who is using Scrum must be wrong. That's possible...

Do you think the average guy will be using 6 out of 8 protocols? At the same time? And others might use all 8 of them?

• JohanKuster said:

Who is supposed to use and buy Homey? Is it build for nerds or the average guy? 

It's build for Emile's mom, so I get what you're saying  :p
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited October 2016
    That's my worry's too JohanKuster, that Homey is not easy to used for normal people.
    They are depending on the app's out of the community and that is really a risk. e.g. App's in TV's are dropped because the support is gone. Then it is still heavy stuff to use.

All makers of the app's here have to realize that they are responsible for a long period in time for those app's.
    Because some app's give Homey so muts more power that Athom have to step in if the support of it is dropped. 

Then communication with Athom is for normal people complicated. How they no where to be in case of a problem.
    E-mail? Form? Whatsapp for nerds Slack? Github? and something else what I forgotten.

No really, I want that Homey become very successful but I am afraid that it's not happening this way.   :'(

• casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2016
    JohanKuster said:
    I'm waiting for the new flow editor that was promised long ago. If they don't give any details or any sign of progress I can only conclude they are not working on it.
    I believe they didn't introduce the ability to add folders and able to (very basic) search your flows not that long ago, and it was working **** with update 0.10.0 & 0.10.1.
    And you still say they are doing nothing to the flows?

JohanKuster said:
    How complex it is? I'm a developer myself. We (just 4 people!) are developing software many 100 thousand lines of code. Our application is used 24/7 worldwide by a major bank. Believe me, I know what complexity is!
    There is a big difference in a device that can control MANY devices in a lot of different languages.
    there are 6 different wireless RF protocols in a 10 by 10 cm area, there is more then just writing simple pre-determined code, because that does not exist in any way or form for homey's functions.
    Your coding (even though it is 100 thousand of lines), is still for 1 purpose, 1 type of "device". And i am certain, that you didn't write all that in just a year.

JohanKuster said:
    My inability? Give me a break. Try to think beyond your own perceptions. Who is supposed to use and buy Homey? Is it build for nerds or the average guy?  Let's be honest who are the visitors of this forum? Creating extra flows and using variables etc is a no go for the average guy. It is also a no go for me and not because I can't but because I don't want to. I will take a lot of time, it is not user friendly, I risk loosing the flows, future updates will probably make them useless, the software is not stable...etc 
    Then put your homey in the closet and come back when it is stable and changed instead of giving such a hard time to people that make many hours to make things work together.
    They aren't creating a (pretty) big flow library for nothing, for this very thing, to Explain and make it more readable and easier to use for ordinary people, like you, or better said, like your trying to be

JohanKuster said:
    But suppose I am the average guy and I am mentioning here that I don't understand your "or" solution, which seems a very real risk to me. Is it then my inability or Athom's? If Homey can only be used by nerds it has no future. Think about that.
    Big updates? I guess everybody who is using Scrum must be wrong. That's possible...
    Do you think the average guy will be using 6 out of 8 protocols? At the same time? And others might use all 8 of them?
    if normal people don't understand the "if this is happening" OR "if this is happening" THEN "let this happen" then they probably don't even know how to open a website.
    My little niece of 1,5 can already understand what to do with this kind reasoning, you really don't need to be a nerd for that.

There are a lot of updates still incoming, including a better build in way for "variables" which is called "logic" btw and not even variables, it is called that way by the community right now.

and sure it is taking long, but there is STILL a lot to write for, everybody wants everything working at the same time.
    and not just the flow editor (that is working, even though little cumbersome for ordinary people without any examples), and added functionality of z-wave.

The average people would probably stay at around 6 protocols, infrared, 433mhz, 868mhz, html, audio streaming and zigbee, and the little bit more adventures people also Z-Wave. even today there is no other devices that can handle 433, 868 AND zigbee. they all have a "workaround" that homey is using too at the moment.