This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Plex application - main discussion thread

Comments

• You're running athom-cli now right? You should see some indication what is going wrong??
  • 1280 movies and 6800 tv episodes...
  • MarkSwiftMarkSwift Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm running it via debug now for you, just ran a script to clear out some unwanted movies and shows, let's see how it gets on.

Update: Worked fine, just my luck. Perhaps there's a way to disable adding media items? I never use the voice activation... I just wanted players in the flows to control lights, blinds etc.
  • Wow... yeah that is a lot of media.. I think you're running out of Homey capabilities...

I've been thinking about what you need, I guess your requirements are the following:

1) Have flow trigger cards for every player you have
    2) Be able to setup flows per player
    3) Flows should also work if you watch from a shared server (a friends PMS)
    4) Events (triggers) from external players (i.e. friends watching stuff from your PMS) should be ignored.

If that sounds about right, my conclusion is that it is not going to be feasible to incorporate that into the current Plex app, it would just be too complicated and the app-bloat would be horrendous..Basically, for me to be able to comply to point 3, would mean that I would also have to open up websockets to those servers, which in my current data model would clash with the principle that you can only connect to one server at the time (this to prevent a whole slew of other complications, one being the even larger media size I would have to index).

So my conclusion is; this needs a separate app. For your use-case (just acting on PMS events basically), I would be silly to install an app of which you only ever use about 5% of the code base.

I would think a "Plex Notifier App" would be fairly simple to build and also pretty lightweight (compared to the Plex App). I could re-use the PIN procedure, slightly change the settings screen so you can select multiple servers (of which you like notifications from) instead of just one and I can almost completely re-use all the driver logic I already have. I would then simply remove the flow triggers and actions from the main app (for the guys who just want to use the speech logic and have no use for flows). If you want to install both apps, you would still have to install all players twice, but al least you would only see the 'Notification App' players as triggers then. I think this is acceptable.

Now for the bad news.. Starting from next week, I have a few (paid:-)) projects starting again. This means I simply do not have the time to build this app in a short term. If someone else wants to have a stab at it, let me know. Otherwise you'll need to have some patience.

And for others reading this: The current (github) version will suffice if you only ever use one player at the time. I will still release this version (probably over the next few days).
  • @MikeOne just tested the app with my embedded PMP client. I tested the play, pause, resume (play) and stop and they al worked within 1 second.

Love this addition to the app already :).

• Sillyjan said:
    @MikeOne just tested the app with my embedded PMP client. I tested the play, pause, resume (play) and stop and they al worked within 1 second.

Love this addition to the app already :).

Great! Glad you like it.
  • @MikeOne A notification app sounds amazing.
  • MarkSwift said:
    @MikeOne A notification app sounds amazing.
    When I get some more time, I'll start working on it.

Version 1.2.0 of the app (with the current flow card triggers and continuation support) is still pending in the app store, I hope @Athom can approve it soon.
  • I just installed Plex on my synology nas, added the device in Homey, just followed the instructions, but everytime it says there are no new devices. 
  • So did you add a player on the devices page? And what player do you have?
  • that's the problem, I can't add a player, I added a chromecast, but homey says it doesn't have a player
  • Hmm, so you use the chromecast driver, it sees your chromecast, you check the chromecast and it doesn't add it? Is it a real chromecast? A V1 or a V2?

this is the first I have heard of this..
  • OOH I'm stupid, I added the chromecast by adding it through add chromecast, not by plex --> chromecast. stupid me, thanks.
  • Aaahh... Hehe, that explains :--)
  • @MikeOne could you take a look if you can repair  the plex app after the update to 0.10.0
  • Oh damn.. did it break?
  • I'll see if I can find some time this weekend
  • MikeOne said:
    I'll see if I can find some time this weekend
    You're the best! :)
  • Okay guys...Someone did a BooBoo... I'm not sure what the Athom guys did here (@Emile) but this update causes me a lot of trouble with my own Homey. Even "what time is it?" or "Hoe laat is het" doesn't work anymore on my Homey.

The Plex app doesn't want to start - and the error it gives is pretty much bizarre and no help at all. 

This is the stacktrace:

Homey software version: 0.10.0
    Crash report: 
        TypeError: Cannot read property 'api' of undefined
        at Object.<anonymous> (/drivers/pht/driver.js:12:24)
        at Module._compile (module.js:409:26)
        at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:416:10)
        at Module.load (module.js:343:32)
        at Function.Module._load (module.js:300:12)
        at Module.require (module.js:353:17)
        at require (internal/module.js:12:17)
        at /homey-app/manager/drivers.js:74:27
        at Array.forEach (native)
        at eventListeners.clientDriverInit (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:66:26)

So something in the PHT driver is causing this, line 12 char 24. 'api' undefined. Right. this is line in the code:

var plexApp = Homey.app.api;

It is basically a reference to the actual Plex application from within the driver. This is SUCH BASIC FUNCTIONALITY, I seriously have no idea where to start in order to fix this. From my development startup log, it seems that they might have changed around the way the elements load (i.e. app versus drivers), as in dev, I don't even see any console messages from the actual app starting up.

So I'm very sorry guys, but this is not going to be fixed without Athom letting me know what the hell they did. 

And please next time @Emile don't push out such an update on a Friday will you... And please give me an option to switch off crash notification emails because my inbox is getting flooded.

• other question (for after the 0.10 update fix I guess :) )

I share my plex with a few family members.. when someone other then me starts plex Homey is telling me that plex has started..
    which in essence is absolutely true.. and if I read the small print in the app page it's unavoidable (as I'm the one sharing my server).

However.. is it possible for homey to not tell me plex has started, but for me to assign a light action?

• Are you on plex 1.2.0?
    Because I thought I removed all voice confirmations.. Or am I misunderstanding you?
  • plex 1.2.0? my updates don't go further then 1.1.4.2757

I did find the "turn notifications off" button in the plex app on the homey.
    But then I can't re-assign it to show a light as notification are off, right?
  • Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the version of the Homey Plex app. In the 1.2.0 version I removed (most?) speech confirmations.
  • Latest update; I spoke to Emile yesterday, He had a look at the Plex issues and straight away knew what was wrong. He promised this will be resolved in the next update. 
  • MikeOne said:
    Latest update; I spoke to Emile yesterday, He had a look at the Plex issues and straight away knew what was wrong. He promised this will be resolved in the next update. 
    Fingers crossed!
  • Trustme2Trustme2 Member
    edited September 2016
    MikeOne said:
    Latest update; I spoke to Emile yesterday, He had a look at the Plex issues and straight away knew what was wrong. He promised this will be resolved in the next update. 
    Plex seems to be working on 0.10.1 @MikeOne ;
    Except some triggers: https://athomcommunity.slack.com/archives/general/p1475158416005679
  • DieterKoblenzDieterKoblenz Member
    edited September 2016
    Can add the Plex Media Player, however it doesn't respond to commands like "pause plex". 

it shows nice what it is playing though

Starting playback via voice is also not possible: "I want to watch southpark" 
  • Can add the Plex Media Player, however it doesn't respond to commands like "pause plex". 

it shows nice what it is playing though

Starting playback via voice is also not possible: "I want to watch southpark" 
    'Pause "plex" is not a command, maybe that is the issue? The problem with using 'plex' in a voice command is that it is basically never recognised as 'plex' is not an english word ;-)

"id": "command|pause",
                "importance": 0.5,
                "triggers": {
                    "en": [
                        "movie pause",
                        "pause movie",
                        "pauze movie",
                        "pause episode",
                        "pauze episode"
                    ],
                    "nl": [
                        "film pauzeer",
                        "pauzeer",
                        "pauzeren",
                        "pauzeer film",
                        "pauzeer kijken",
                        "pauzeren kijken",
                        "kijken pauzeren",
                        "film pauzeren",
                        "film pauze"
                    ]
                }
  • You edited while I quoted... Okay, I'll look into this.