This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[APP] Better logic / Variable management

Comments

• Whoa, definitely do NOT cold boot your Homey if you like your BL variables - all of mine just went (50+).

That'll be fun recreating! Grr.
  • MarkSwiftMarkSwift Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi Guys and @Uranday ;,

I'm trying to drag a token from my Aeotec Multisensor to set a number variable using the Better Logic number variable card. It appears it doesn't want to work, and will only let me drag it to the string variable card. Athom said this is an issue with the Better Logic app? Any ideas?
  • @MarkSwift ;
    use the "set a variable" card, not the "set a number variable" card.
  • Something indeed is broken. It also does not work with fibaro devices. I'll take a look. 
  • Whoa, definitely do NOT cold boot your Homey if you like your BL variables - all of mine just went (50+).

That'll be fun recreating! Grr.
    You scared me with that post! Just did a cold boot too! But I checked, my variables are still there (only 5 for the moment). 
    Read more people are having this problem, weird that it seems to be random... 
  • @Uranday ;
    it is probably because the tag is an object without any indication that it is a number?
  • Choosing the standard set variable card did indeed work... I assume @caseda is correct.
  • Strange, I can capture lux and temp just fine from my Fibaro Z+ motion sensors - although they don't always report. Are you saying this could due to BetterLogic not handling the value properly?

I'd expect that to be broken all the time, not intermittently :smile: 

• caseda said:
    @Uranday ;
    it is probably because the tag is an object without any indication that it is a number?

Usure yet. Though in the inputs I configured them to be numeric. So I assumed if a tag contains a numeric value it would be a numeric type. This because the validation is done in homey code,not mine. 

• @Uranday ;
    well when i was trying to create triggers (for dropdown) and used a number as the id (so without quotes), it still came true the "state" as a string and not as a number (with quotes), so i assume this is the same for tags.

maybe add a small debug as what is being send inside the tag, even when a number
  • Is there any plan to add the insights again to be able to log the variables?
  • JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited September 2016
    Not sure this is a bug or missed feature in the app, but it seems like better logic higher/lower/is exactly can not work with values behind the comma or behind the dot? 

Flow 1
    Example value is set to 0.1 (rain mm) value shows in better logic correctly.

Flow 2 trigger of your choice
    And column better logic card is set to: value is higher/lower/is exactly e.g. 0.1 after saving the flow shows 0. The flow triggers on any value that is in between 0.0 and 0.9

Does anybody have the same experience?
  • mrandersonmranderson Member
    edited September 2016
    Sorry for not reading all 13 pages, but I see from page 5 there were some discussions regarding "Variable is changed" and "Variable is set".
    My interpretation of "Variable is set" was to trigger a flow even if variable had the same value before. 

I have a boolean "tv" that turns socket on/off, which works OK on its own. But let's say I turn off socket directly with android app - now my remote won't turn on the socket as I expect. Variable is TRUE from before, and a new TRUE is sent - shouldn't the use of "Variable is set" commence this flow?

(Flows for ON is the same setup)

Turning off with remote first, then turning on again makes it work again. So it behaves like "variable has changed". What's the difference between "changed" and "set" if this is normal behavior?

As a workaround, I've adjusted all of these flows with number variables instead of boolean.
    2 and 0 are triggers for ON/OFF, and second flow always ends with setting variable to 1 so that a future change is detected.

0.JPG 20.9K
    1.JPG 23.6K
  • Ill have to see what is going on with setting of bool variables. After this week I have some time to look at some of the issues posted. Sorry for keeping you guys waiting this long.
  • Outch - deleting a variable results in the wrong one to be deleted. Tried a coupple of times but unable to delete the correct one. FEATURE request: a way to backup all variables and a way to restore (import). Love your app BTW just this is annoying when needed to re-create all variables.
  • Uranday created an issue for the parameters disappearing issue, but if I'm right Athom never responded on this. 

I think it's a stab in the back of the project and possible the end of it?!
  • It better not be the end of it - without BL my flows are all dead :smile: 
  • There's two people @MartijnDeRhoter and @ThijsDeJong (probably if I understand correctly) for whom variables get lost afaik. Due to evolving Homey-core things like variables in insights don't work anymore and @uranday ran out of time to spend on this... And now @Jeroenvano reports a different problem. So it's not just Athom who didn't respond to bug 817 but a combination of events for now...
    Half empty  <3 Half full
  • Uranday said he had these days some time to fix it. 

Uranday asked for help on Slack, no reaction. 
    That same evening he issued it o  Git (while Emile was closing a bunch of issues) and also no reaction. 

Don't think is half full and it's more almost empty.... 
  • I'm pretty sure this is an app that's used by more than ThijsDeJong, Jeroenvano and myself - @Annemarie, could you perform some magic and get this issue higher up Athom's agenda?

This is one of the first user generated apps and deserves more attention that it is currently getting. Especially because it provides core functionality to some (if not most) users.

Oh @Uranday - go create a Donate button somewhere :smile: 

• @MartijnDeRhoter ;
    Great initiative! Let's wait and see how this develops. Getting a @RamonBaas apps feeling. 
  • I hope that MarcoF is incorrect. I love to see the homey getting a succes. But he is right, there is some lack of response, but maybe that is because of the hard work they are performing on new features. 

Tomorrow I have some time scheduled to do some fixes. For now my todo's are:
    - Check basic adding/deleting of variables
    - Try to make a backup button, hope this is easy to do. Probably it will give you a long string and that string you can insert after a remove all variables. (cheaters can use it for mass adding of variables ;))
    - Check what is going on with the inputs when a token is dropped. I think this is something controlled by the firmware. If this is the case Ill add a generic card to support this
    - Check equality comparators on decimal values
    - Try to turn on isights
    - Add donate button ;) 
  • Just a minor update and a question. I just did some testing. One of the things that is broken is the numeric input in flows. Currently that only supports whole numbers, no decimals. To make things probably a bit easier I can change everything to text inputs. Then it is up to the user to fill in the correct values (and if not it will supress the value).. Would that be an idea?
  • JeroenvanoJeroenvano Member
    edited September 2016
    My devices like Netatmo and Nefit Easy submit numbers with 2 decimals. So kind of crucial to have a minimum of one decimal as half a degree makes a lot of difference in temperature. The rain meter needs really 2 decimal but could do with 1. How does it work with rounding up/down if not using numbers but text input?
  • Secondly how does it work with cards higher/lower than if using text? IMHO needs to be numbers.  

Thanks for the effort @Uranday ;
  • Ill make the input text, though Ill convert it in code to a number. So if you add in a card with 1.34 it will become 1.34.. If you insert a card that gives "appel" it will not process the value.
  • Uranday said:
    Ill make the input text, though Ill convert it in code to a number. So if you add in a card with 1.34 it will become 1.34.. If you insert a card that gives "appel" it will not process the value.
    Bright people always have good solutions ;)
  • Will both the . and , be converted to a decimal seperator?
  • @Uranday Have to say this: THX for the app! Using it Some time now. Very happy with it!
  • @Uranday Have to say this: THX for the app! Using it Some time now. Very happy with it!
    Couldn't agree more ;)