This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Z-wave migration: succesful except for Greenwave power nodes

EternityEternity Member
edited September 2016 in Questions & Help
Today I migrated the last z-wave devices from my Syno/Domoticz/Aeotec Z-wave stick setup to Homey.
All my Aeotec sensors and Fibaro relay's are functioning as hoped (and have been for weeks). Unfortunately Greenwave powernodes cause problems. I delayed migration as I had issues before. Today I saw the Powernode 1 and 6 are now supported in the App store in one single App (no install via Github needed and not necessary to install two Greenwave app's), I decided to give it another try...

In my Domoticz setup tthe Powernodes 1's and 6's were controllable and have been working without any issues for months in a row. Migrated to Homey the green Led issue is back  (yes, I have polling enabled and set the "delay before flashing" to 255 minutes) and *very strange* I loose connection although Homey allows me to move the slider and operate it. The devise does not respond.

All nodes are within 4 meters from Homey, the were oké in Domotcz, in Homey the all (6 port and 1-port) fail. Green Led's flashing and they can not be controlled (yes, you can manipulate the sliders to power on/off, but nothing really happens in the actual node).

I am on the latest experimental firmware.

Comments

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited September 2016
    I have been having issues with Greenwave as well after the 1.0.3 update. I could succesfully control the devices that have a direct connection with Homey but the ones that need the mesh network can not be controlled.

What I did was disable the Greenwave app, reboot, wait for the zwave network to become available and reenable the Greenwave app again.

Seems to have fixed it for me.
  • Cheers @Phuturist , I will try that! 
  • Checked you suggestion, but it did not do the trick.

It has to be a z-wave issue; I can move sliders in the control pannel (no error of "lost device") but the actual powernode doesn't do anything.

Did you do a software reboot, or PTP? 

I will do some more testing tonight.
  • An odd situation...and an update to the Greenwave / z-wave issues I am experiencing.

My Fibaro relays (222's) stopped working. I did some testing and found out that ifI disable the Greenwave App and re-boot, my Fibaro relay's work again.

• Have the same problem with the powernodes  
  • Yeah, my zwave network is very unstable since the update of the greenwave app to version 1.0.3. This update contained a merge of a pull request I made myself. My local version was running stable for some time with that code though. I'll install my local version again and see if that helps. Is so I'll compare it with the app store version and see where it differs.
  • Want to use homey? Ditch greenwave. 
  • @MarcoF ;
    That would be sad. . . . They worked fine with Domoticz . Homey should be able to handle them. 
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited September 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Want to use homey? Ditch greenwave. 
    It's nonsense. My Greenwave powernodes where working perfectly for some time together with Homey. Version 1.0.3 of the app just screwed something up.

[EDIT]
    I have made an issue for this: https://github.com/athombv/com.greenwavesystems/issues/8
  • Keep in mind that polling became more intensive because of the additional instant powermeasurement. 
  • Phuturist said:
    MarcoF said:
    Want to use homey? Ditch greenwave. 
    It's nonsense. My Greenwave powernodes where working perfectly for some time together with Homey. Version 1.0.3 of the app just screwed something up.

[EDIT]
    I have made an issue for this: https://github.com/athombv/com.greenwavesystems/issues/8

With the greenwave app enabled, the z-wave chip gets unavailable. 
    Disabling it, makes the chip available again. 
    This was already weeks ago and I ditch my Greenwaves from homey. 

Didn't test version 1.0.3..... Because my homey is also offline just like @RamonBaas his homey. 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited September 2016
    If it's just with 1.0.3 it would be in this commit:
    https://github.com/athombv/com.greenwavesystems/commit/04b5332691bb4087b5d9188c9452559db5b25373#diff-6a1b6963e828b69fcc667e3c45df78bb

Don't understand much of it but I do see now sometimes null might be reported where before it always was report['Meter Value (Parsed)']. Also before command_get_parser was a function(power) and now it's a function(). Oh I wish I could understand javascript better s I presume it's supposed to do that
  • @BasVanDenBosch: that's build in to prevent te driver from crashing if it is unable to get the value. That sometimes happens with the Greenwave powernode 6!
  • I just did a compare on the code of my local version and version 1.0.3 of the app in the app store. There dont seem to be any differences other than some differences in spacing in the files.

As @kasteleman mentioned the command report parser function was changed for the Powernode-1 to avoid the driver from crashing but I already had this in local working version as well. Changing the function(power) to function() was also a commit made by me. Although it actually is a difference between my working local version (I always had the function(power) in there because @Webster created the Powernode-1 driver like that) I cant image that it's causing this instability issue and it does not seem to make a difference. Perhaps @Webster could explain why it was coded like that in the first place.

So the next thing I did was update all my Greenwave powernodes again and make sure the polling frequency is set not to often. I noticed the settings on one of my powernodes had been reverted to default (perhaps when overwriting the local version with the app store version). I hope this helps to get my zwave network stable again.
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited September 2016
    Comforting to see I am not the only one that has these problems . Indeed it is a strange bug. . .

Hope a solution will come soon. Meanwhile I have had to disable the Greenwave App. 
  • With polling frequency set to around 5 minutes with a 5 second variation per device my zwave network seems to be stable again. It's a bit too early to be completely sure but my zwave network is now stable for more than a day. My issue must have been the powernode that was reset back to it's original settings of a polling frequency of 2 minutes.

So i'd suggest every one with similar issues to raise your polling frequency to see if it's a proper workaround for the zwave network becoming inoperable due to the Greenwave devices.
  • I love greenwave in combination with Homey!  <3
  • Phuturist said:
    With polling frequency set to around 5 minutes with a 5 second variation per device my zwave network seems to be stable again. It's a bit too early to be completely sure but my zwave network is now stable for more than a day. My issue must have been the powernode that was reset back to it's original settings of a polling frequency of 2 minutes.

So i'd suggest every one with similar issues to raise your polling frequency to see if it's a proper workaround for the zwave network becoming inoperable due to the Greenwave devices.
    how do you set these settings? raw?

tried to set tge polling interval to 300 seconds and now the driver is crashing
    Stack trace:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'CONFIGURATION_SET' of undefined
    at /node_modules/homey-zwavedriver/lib/ZwaveDriver.js:177:63
    at Array.forEach (native)
    at ZwaveDriver.settings (/node_modules/homey-zwavedriver/lib/ZwaveDriver.js:136:18)
    at /homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:3459
    at ZwaveDriver.drivers.(anonymous function).ready (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:2049)
    at eventListeners.clientDriver (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:2416)
    at /homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:868
    at process.<anonymous> (/homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:835)
    at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
  • Phuturist said:
    With polling frequency set to around 5 minutes with a 5 second variation per device my zwave network seems to be stable again. It's a bit too early to be completely sure but my zwave network is now stable for more than a day. My issue must have been the powernode that was reset back to it's original settings of a polling frequency of 2 minutes.

how do you set these settings? raw?

tried to set tge polling interval to 300 seconds and now the driver is crashing
    Stack trace:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'CONFIGURATION_SET' of undefined
    at /node_modules/homey-zwavedriver/lib/ZwaveDriver.js:177:63
    at ZwaveDriver.settings (/node_modules/homey-zwavedriver/lib/ZwaveDriver.js:136:18)
    at /homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:3459
    at ZwaveDriver.drivers.(anonymous function).ready (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:2049)
    at eventListeners.clientDriver (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:2416)
    at /homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:868
    at process.<anonymous> (/homey-app/helpers/client.js:1:835)
    at emitTwo (events.js:87:13)
    You can edit the polling variables on the multichannel nodes and the main not but you can not edit the keep alive time on the multichannel nodes. This parameter can only be set on the main node (greenwave powernode 6). It's a shortcoming in Homey that the app can not be configured to only allow this parameter on the main node (see https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/857).

So only try and edit the polling variables without touching the keep alive time (default is 2) and it should work.
    edited September 2016
    @Phuturist ;

Have set my nodes according to your suggestions (polling 300 +/- 10 per node) and a "keep alive" value of 2.
    Let's see how they do today!
  • UPDATE

It worked the first few minutes, now I have flashing green LED's and the nodes can't be operated remotely. Also, my Fibaro relays can't be operated anymore. 

Annoying..to say the least.
    I will have to disable the Greenwave App again

Come on Athom.... 
  • @Eternity You set the keep alive shorter (120 sec) the the poll interval. That gives you the flashing green LED
  • Is this a problem with the app (and user-added PR's) or with Homey? I guess someone at Athom could find out what's going on?
  • There are some new issues on github lately, so Athom is looking into it.
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/861

• So, polling at 300 seconds and what is recommended for the "keep alive" value ??
    edited September 2016
    So only try and edit the polling variables without touching the keep alive time (default is 2) and it should work.
    The nodes work once. I can switch a node on, but not off. And Fibaro is not working anyone.

Hope the update will cure this.
  • Eternity said:
    So, polling at 300 seconds and what is recommended for the "keep alive" value ??
    The best value for the keep alive time is 255. You should only set this in the main node. That means that it will still show you a value of 2 on the multichannel nodes but that is a limitation of Homey. You can not set the keep alive time per multichannel node.

You should spread the polling of each devices to make sure not all the polling happens at once (so one device at 285, one at 290, one at 295, one at 300 etc.).

This has worked for me for quite some time and it also works for version 1.0.3. If you still experience issues you might not have updated all nodes (try changing them again to make sure for instance from 300 to 301).

@BasVanDenBosch this is an issue with Homey where polling of devices flood the zwave chip which becomes inoperable (and then also affecting other zwave devices). This workaround gives the chip some more air. The need to poll the device is something that is not ideal but Homey will have to deal with it and Athom is aware of the issue.
  • Have set my Power Nodes according to your suggestions, @Phuturist ;
    Will give it some time to built a mesh...

Thanks
  • No, failed. . . After a short time all nodes started flashing (no connection). Worse is that with Greenwave App enabled, Fibaro relays don't work. . 

Disabled the Greenwave App. 
    edited September 2016
    After the update to firmware 0.10.0 Greenwave is working again!

Now lets find out if the Green Led is gone!