This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] Squeezebox App

mtudormtudor Member
edited September 2016 in Apps
I've been working on an app to enable Homey to control Squeezeboxes.  As far as I know (from searching the forum) no one else is currently working on this so I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic to track progress and let people know that we should soon be able to call for music throughout our Squeezebox enabled houses

I plan to release something soon that does very basic things, such as allow room specific play / pause and playlist selection (I currently have it doing this at home here).  Other functionality will follow incrementally but I'll try and finish up and get something in place quickly even if it only does a little to start with

Watch this space!

Comments

• Sounds like a nice addition for me, when I get my Homey :) 3 Squeezebox Radio's and one  Receiver still used every day here :smile: 
  • DD Member
    I use the HTTP app for some basic Squeezebox things, but an app would be awesome!
  • jordenjorden Member
    If you can get this working, I might buy a Squeezebox too :)
  • Rpi with max2play image :D 

1+ for this app
  • MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited June 2016
    im curious of the current status, rly looking forward to this.

Edit,

fyi using raspberry pi 3 with touchscreen, with picoreplayer image (free jivelite support)
  • D said:
    I use the HTTP app for some basic Squeezebox things, but an app would be awesome!
    I can't get the volume up to work? I can get volume down but volume up command seems to set the volume and not increment it. Any ideas?
  • mtudor said:
    I've been working on an app to enable Homey to control Squeezeboxes.  As far as I know (from searching the forum) no one else is currently working on this so I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic to track progress and let people know that we should soon be able to call for music throughout our Squeezebox enabled houses ;)

I plan to release something soon that does very basic things, such as allow room specific play / pause and playlist selection (I currently have it doing this at home here).  Other functionality will follow incrementally but I'll try and finish up and get something in place quickly even if it only does a little to start with :)

Watch this space!
    Have you managed to increment volume up by any chance?
  • mtudormtudor Member
    I will put some work into getting *something* up in the next week or so (I got distracted playing with a Honeywell 868MHz doorbell and homey!).  I hadn't done volume stuff yet but I will pop that in too.  Confident I can make it work - I'm using the CLI / JSON interface to communicate which is (I believe) how the SqueezeServer interface itself communicates with the back end.
  • mtudor said:
    I will put some work into getting *something* up in the next week or so (I got distracted playing with a Honeywell 868MHz doorbell and homey!).  I hadn't done volume stuff yet but I will pop that in too.  Confident I can make it work - I'm using the CLI / JSON interface to communicate which is (I believe) how the SqueezeServer interface itself communicates with the back end.
    great - ive got the start/stop working with:
    http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=pause&player=mac_address_player

and volume down seems to work with:
    http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=mixer&p1=volume&p2=-5&player=mac_address_player

but strangley volume up only sets the volume to the level of 5 (and doesnt seem to increment it) - Its driving me nuts:
    http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=mixer&p1=volume&p2=+5&player=mac_address_player

• mtudormtudor Member
    edited June 2016
    I get the same thing on mine... could be a bug - will let you know if i have any issues with the app or whether I get it working.  As a pointer, might be worth trying the BUTTON command with "volume_up" and "volume_down" as a workaround?  Not as flexible but might get you going if it works...

Scratch that - it's a URL encoding issue.  Try substituting "+" for "%2B".  "+" is reserved in the query string.

http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=mixer&p1=volume&p2=%2B5&player=mac_address_player
  • mtudor said:
    I get the same thing on mine... could be a bug - will let you know if i have any issues with the app or whether I get it working.  As a pointer, might be worth trying the BUTTON command with "volume_up" and "volume_down" as a workaround?  Not as flexible but might get you going if it works...

Scratch that - it's a URL encoding issue.  Try substituting "+" for "%2B".  "+" is reserved in the query string.

http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=mixer&p1=volume&p2=%2B5&player=mac_address_player
    Awesome - that works. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • Status of the app?
  • I guess some 1 bailed on this project,
    any 1 else able to make a squeeze box app to controle the player?
  • There's no code at https://github.com/mtudor/HomeySqueezebox, only a readme... I do have a Squeezebox Radio but still some work to do on my Marantz app :) 
  • mtudormtudor Member
    Hi guys,  sorry,  I've not bailed! I'm still here. Life just got in the way for a bit. I'll get the code I have up next week and that way if anyone else wants to help out there's that option. Otherwise am happy to keep developing based on a requested features first basis! 
  • Good to hear from u, basicly all im looking for is a way to start (push play) and pauze or standby.
  • mtudor said:
    Hi guys,  sorry,  I've not bailed! I'm still here. Life just got in the way for a bit. I'll get the code I have up next week and that way if anyone else wants to help out there's that option. Otherwise am happy to keep developing based on a requested features first basis! 
    Sometimes life can be challenging or give some surprises, lol.
    Upload your code somewhere and I'm sure I, or someone else, will help out.
  • mtudormtudor Member
    @MarcelKuijper Brilliant. It can do that already :) 

@RobinVanKekem Thanks for the moral support :) 
  • Great info above removed the dust from my SB controller :smile: . Looking forward to a proper app but as an intermediate solution i got playlist url's working & in combination with the Spotify plugin (2.3.9) which can be activated in the SB center. The following URL works as http workflow starting a spotify playlist.  http://ip_logitech_media_server:9000/status.html?p0=playlist&p1=play&p2=spotify:user:spotify:playlist:7udrtYN1uLn7KHbObVyOa5&player=MAC ADDRESS PLAYER
    The spotify URL are listed in SB center under details however just shortly tested hence not sure how permanent the links are. 
  • mtudor said:
    Thumbs up!!

I have a Squeezeserver on my Synology NAS (using port 9002). So I like your intention to get this working.

Just some suggestions:
    For those who don't own a Synology NAS device, you can easy setup a Squeezeserver with XPEnology (Synology virtual machine). For those who don't own a Squeeze device you can use an Android App called Squeeze Player

The official Logitech support is absolute. For Android devices you can use Squeezer instead for controlling.

• Just trying to pull this together into something I can get on the git repo for you guys to try out.  IT will be rough and ready but allow you guys to create Flows.  But after September 19th I have a lot more free time so should be able to develop further.
  • I also have an SqueezeBox/Logitech Media Server (LMS).
    I can help in expanding the app and testing.

Really like to connect Homey to my LMS but thought it would be to much time lost starting all over :)
  • Thanks @RobinVanKekem, appreciate the support.  I really do want to do more on this as the Squeezeboxes are my primary music system and Homey is becoming more and more integrated in my life!  Just lack of time this summer.  Post Sept 19th I should be much more available.

In the meantime, though, we have a release!  I've pushed a working (I hope) version of the app to my GitHub and also submitted it to the App Store for approval (hopefully that will only take a couple of days).  For anyone that can't wait, you should be able to download from the GitHub repo and push to your homey using the athom-cli.

Currently you can do the following: Play, Pause, Volume, Play a Playlist (with nifty auto complete).  You can target these at a specific device only.  Multiple device control and synchronization is not yet implemented (along with a lot of other functionality, lol).  Should keep you all going though I hope!

Enjoy and hope it works well for people - feel free to feed back, vote for features etc. etc.

:D
  • Great work @mtudor ;
    I hope to check it out tonight to see if all is fine.

If I find something, could I do Github Pull Requests or are you currently developing on your machine which could collide with my (future) PR's?
  • @RobinVanKekem PRs are fine - we use git at work so I'm well versed in dealing with collaboration and merging etc. :)  I will create a develop branch that you can PR against.
  • mtudor said:
    @RobinVanKekem PRs are fine - we use git at work so I'm well versed in dealing with collaboration and merging etc. :)  I will create a develop branch that you can PR against.
    Great!
    I have limited knowledge of PR's but I manage. :)
  • mtudor said:
    @RobinVanKekem PRs are fine - we use git at work so I'm well versed in dealing with collaboration and merging etc. :)  I will create a develop branch that you can PR against.
    Great!
    I have limited knowledge of PR's but I manage. :)
    Hah, no worries, we can work it out.
  • Already begun on changing the pairing process so you enter your IP address there instead of in app settings  :*
  • Did a lot of coding for this.
    Hit me up on DM before you start so we can review my code first.