This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Magic mirror / smart mirror (main)

Comments

• Trustme2Trustme2 Member
    edited September 2016
    That was for @nklerk
  • Just ordered a piece of acrylic glass and and observation mirror foil. I'll make a build log for my first attempt.

Cost so far:
    Acrylic glass (60x40cm 3mm):  €25,-
    Observation mirror foil (60x40cm): €4,21 (raamfoliewebshop.nl)

@DieterKoblenz , Which type did you order on raamfoliewebshop.nl?
  • Well i was planning to buy actual glass. But i will wait for @DieterKoblenz to post some pictures. because if the quality is as good as a normal mirror then this would be the best option.

The mirror size i am currently looking at will cost a small 160 Euro for 1340mm x 540mm http://www.xlglas.nl/Glas/Enkelglas/Spiegel/ConfrontatiespiegelGrijs.html
  • What will you guys use for the screen behind the mirror? Because a complete tft monitor is really big.

I'm discovering the possibilities for my new bathroom.

Mirror size: 80x80 cm.

I dont want it to come more than 4 cm from the wall. And it should be low voltage.
  • I bought ECO RS 20 EXT foil, it's actual to prevent sunlight from falling in but it also has a mirror like effect. Not sure if this works, but for 4 euros I didn't mind giving it a try ;)

NPeters said:
    I will use a small flat screen I have here right now. Yes it is quite big, but in a sturdy frame it should not be a problem. In your case I would suggest a cheap/second hand/not used tablet running android. I think there are already android apps for magic mirrors out. Not as customizable as for example MagicMirror2 but it should do the trick. 
  • I am thinking about using a led monitor (22") that i am using on my computer now. ill buy a new one for my computer. but first i need to be sure what i am going to use as a mirror and such.

Ill use a qubino 2D relay (Zwave) within the frame to power both the display and the raspberry pi. This way ill be able to switch power of the display and the Raspberry PI separately. even if the display is off homey will be able to power the monitor on when there is someone at the door and show me the camera image.
  • dclrcqdclrcq Member
    edited September 2016
    I took the screen from an old laptop and ordered a controller from ebay.
    It's been lying around for quite some time because I wanted to try magicmirror but I still need a decent frame and a good mirror to complete it.
  • @nklerk Why switch power on the pi? It's not advisable from a SD card standpoint and it doesn't use a lot of power. You could integrate a motion sensor in the mirror and use that to let the pi switch the screen (at leats I am considering this now..)
  • @nklerk Why switch power on the pi? It's not advisable from a SD card standpoint and it doesn't use a lot of power. You could integrate a motion sensor in the mirror and use that to let the pi switch the screen (at leats I am considering this now..)
    I agree, i already have a 2D relay laying around. The raspberry will only be powered off when I'm on a vacation. Just to be safe.
  • nklerk said:
    @nklerk Why switch power on the pi? It's not advisable from a SD card standpoint and it doesn't use a lot of power. You could integrate a motion sensor in the mirror and use that to let the pi switch the screen (at leats I am considering this now..)
    I agree, i already have a 2D relay laying around. The raspberry will only be powered off when I'm on a vacation. Just to be safe.
    Hmm, yeah. I also power off non essential equipment at the source when I leave for longer then 24 hours. Router, NAS and Homey will be always on. TV, audio stuff, kitchen pc etc should be off completely
  • Anyone received their foils yet? Is it mirror like or is it just as a mirror?
  • nklerk said:
    Anyone received their foils yet? Is it mirror like or is it just as a mirror?
    Hmm, received the foil but not the acrylic plate yet. I bought the cheap foil and that clearly shows haha, not sure it was wise to choose this one. 

• nklerk said:
    Anyone received their foils yet? Is it mirror like or is it just as a mirror?
    Hmm, received the foil but not the acrylic plate yet. I bought the cheap foil and that clearly shows haha, not sure it was wise to choose this one. 

Maybe it looks great when it is applied? 

I also found these: https://www.pyrasied.nl/product/doorkijkspiegel/

• Yeah, I am gonna test it anyway. Easy to get new foil if its not ok
  • Price for product itself is great. If I could pick it up I would have picked that one too but 20€ extra makes it almost twice as expensive 
  • I just ordered 2 samples. I will post my test results when I received them
  • I have just finished my new building plans.

I disassembled my current monitor. (I couldnt wait.) I'm now woring on a naked monitor :-)
    As i thought/hoped it is very very flat and usable :smiley:  So now i know the actual sizes i could make a plan.

Exploded view of the mirror:

Final mock-up of the mirror.
  • Which monitor you are going to use ? 
  • Alright, the cheap foil didn't do the trick. It's a mirror alright but not suited for doing make-up.. more suited for the Efteling ;) 

Back to the drawing board
  • but then with Homey :smiley: 
  • Quite easy to create when the mirror is working ;)  
  • Just received a new raspberry. :-D
    I'm still working on the mirrors HTML. I have added added power usage and gas usage from domoticz. 

I haven't received the mirror samples yet. :-1: 

i use a java-script to poll a homey variable via the rest API. this variable makes sure that content on the mirror changes when i need it to.

When someone is at the door ill directly see the front door camera.
     or Homey show me weather information on the mirror. :-)
  • I have made this mirror before. I was however a bit disappointed by the brightness of my monitor and have put it on hold. I could not resit giving it another try when I saw this post.
    I am using a one way mirror, bought from a glass selling store. Mind you, it was not cheap. The dimensions are 60cm x 40cm and it costs €100,-

When I finish it I will post some images.

greetings,
    Aaron
  • Cool Aaron. Keep us informed!
  • Looking nice so far. .
  • Thanks, I still haven't received the mirror yet. :-(