This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Virtual flow button in Homey app

I would like to have a virtual button/card in the app to execute flows. I've tried to play around with Better logic BitFlip buttons but these do not seem to trigger/execute flows when they are flipped. Any suggestions? 

Comments

• They can trigger flows. Use the Better Logic Trigger Card "A variable has changed" to trigger flows when you switch it.
  • They can trigger flows. Use the Better Logic Trigger Card "A variable has changed" to trigger flows when you switch it.
    That's what I tried, these do not trigger when you switch it.

There seems to be a bug in BetterLogic since a couple of Homey firmware versions back causing flows with the bitflip trigger not the run. You can work around this by using the BetterLogic card "a variable has changed"and selecting the bitflip boolean. You can check in the "and" column if it's switched on (true) or switched of (false).
  • Phuturist said:
    They can trigger flows. Use the Better Logic Trigger Card "A variable has changed" to trigger flows when you switch it.

There seems to be a bug in BetterLogic since a couple of Homey firmware versions back causing flows with the bitflip trigger not the run. You can work around this by using the BetterLogic card "a variable has changed"and selecting the bitflip boolean. You can check in the "and" column if it's switched on (true) or switched of (false).
    This workaround works - thanks guys!
  • So will there be an actual app "Virtual"? In which you can make buttons, and maybe numbers and stuff?

In Homeseer I create a virtual device to store a certain time, luminance or state. 
    I have seen multiple simular questions on here. But can anyone tell if there will actuall be virtual devices, or only work arounds?
  • BetterLogic app does have one virtual device which is on/off.
    Don't know if this helps?
  • can someone post a screen shot, i'm not able to get this to work. Can this workaround also be used to start/ stop something using an nfc card? So first times it is used turn on lamp, second time turn off/ dimm and if possible third time lamps to green.
  • JooleeJoolee Member
    edited October 2016
    tunf said:
    can someone post a screen shot, i'm not able to get this to work. Can this workaround also be used to start/ stop something using an nfc card? So first times it is used turn on lamp, second time turn off/ dimm and if possible third time lamps to green.
    You can use BetterLogic for that but not (specifically) with the bitflip device.

Flow 1: On NFC - No condition - Increment variable 'NFC scanned' by 1
    Flow 2: On var change 'NFC Scanned' - And variable 'Lamp state' is exactly 0 - Turn on lamp, Set variable 'lamp state' to 1
    Flow 3: On var change 'NFC Scanned' - And variable 'Lamp state' is exactly 1 - Turn lamp green, Set variable 'lamp state' to 2
    Flow 4: On var change 'NFC Scanned' - And variable 'Lamp state' is exactly 2 - Turn off lamp, Set variable 'lamp state' to 0

Advanced:
    You can modify this to use a boolean value for 'NFC scanned', flip this value in flow 1. Now you can use a virtual bitflip device OR the scanning of an NFC tag to change your lamp status

• UrandayUranday Member
    edited January 2017
    Im going to build a virtual button in Better Logic.
    This will be implemented as a special variable 'Trigger'
    With that trigger you can make a device that is a button and if the button is pushed, the trigger is triggered and thus the flow will run. Hope this helps!
  • Uranday said:
    With that trigger you can make a device that is a button and if the button is pushed, the trigger is triggered and thus the flow will run. Hope this helps!
    This is so cool!
    I've been asking Emile for this since the early firstbackers testing periode and he kept suggesting to use the kaku workaround.
    But it never felt right triggering a flow with a card that showed a lamp as an icon while sometimes the flow didn't even contain any lamps...

So thanks very much, this will up the WAF by a 1000%!
  • Uranday said:
    That would be great! At the moment I need a BL-Bitflipswitch, that flips a boolean variable, that starts a flow to set a string variable.. 

Am I right that with the virtual button, I don't need the boolean?

• Uranday said:
    Yeah, that would be great! Would it be anyway possible to be able to choose from a variety of (basic) icons when creating the virtual button?
  • +1 for different icons. Nice for in the HomeyDash dashboard
  • Uranday said:
    Pushed a new version to git with the trigger. Now its waiting for validation in the appstore.