This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[NEW UPDATE] Send SMS (v2.0.0)

gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
edited April 2018 in Apps
https://apps.athom.com/app/com.gruijter.sms

Send SMS

A small Homey app to send text messages via 80 SMS providers.

In this age of IoT there is still a need to send messages by SMS. This small app supports about 80 SMS providers:

smsGate: use your own android phone as SMS gateway. (note: from-number=deviceID)

AspSMS, BulkSMS, Clickatell, CM Direct, TargetSMS, Twilio and Spryng: These are paid SMS services where you need an account

TextBelt: Unfortunately the free sending of SMS is not working anymore. You now need to buy credit to use it.

DellMont: This includes more than 60 voipservices like Voipbuster, Freecall, Cheapvoip, etc. These are paid services, so you need an account and credit to use it. Also for these providers some numbers might not be reachable.

After setting up the SMS-service provider you want to use, you have the possibility to send messages via an action flow card.

Known limitations:

TargetSMS uses an API that sends the message requests as clear text unsecure over the internet. The other SMS providers use the secured https method. You can only set/use one SMS provider at the same time.

Donate:

If you like the app you can show your appreciation by posting it in the forum, and if you really like it you can buy me a beer. Feature requests can be placed on the forum.

Paypal donate

===============================================================================

Version changelog

v2.0.0  2018.04.02 Rewrite to sdk2. Less memory usage (removed xml2js and request).
        Added AspSMS, BulkSMS and DellMont SMS services. Added logger.
v1.0.3  2017.04.08 Request updated to 2.81.0
v1.0.2  2017.02.27 added CM Direct. Usability improvements. Minor bug fixes
v1.0.1  2017.01.14 added SpryngSMS and Twilio
v1.0.0  2016.12.05 Xml2js updated to 0.4.17. Request updated to 2.79.0. Minor
        code changes.
v0.0.6  2016.11.08 Fix crash undefined provider
v0.0.5  2016.10.01 Compatibility to fw 0.10.1. added www icon
v0.0.4  2016.09.08 Added targetsms and smsGate.me as SMS service. Added website
        link in settings. Fix crash undefined provider.
v0.0.3  2016.09.04 Fixed broken DellMont. Testbutton added
v0.0.2  2016.09.02 Added Clickatell and VoiceTrading as SMS service
v0.0.1  2016.09.01 Initial release

Comments

• Great idea! Nice work
  • Great! I still depend on sms for some vital functions in Domoticz..

Does it support Clickatell?
  • @DieterKoblenz , I was thinking on supporting Clickatel. If you want to help testing it I could probably implement it. But I noticed you need a developpers key in Domoticz to use it. Does that mean that every user has to sign up as a developper?
  • @DieterKoblenz , I was thinking on supporting Clickatel. If you want to help testing it I could probably implement it. But I noticed you need a developpers key in Domoticz to use it. Does that mean that every user has to sign up as a developper?
    Yes I think so, it's free to sign up you just need to pay for send text messages.
  • Ok, Maybe I can find some time this weekend to play around with clickatel.
  • @DieterKoblenz : I found some time :smiley:  You can get a new version at GitHub (0.0.2) that should work with Clickatell. I have no credits myself, so I could only partly test. Please let me know if it fully works (especially the from - number functionality is unclear if it works correctly)
  • @YvesGeffens : VoiceTrading is now also added. If you know how to install from GitHub you can use it right away. Otherwise you have to wait for Athom to approve the appstore release (usually within a week)
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited September 2016
    Great idea. Thank you for developing it. Definitely a very helpful thing. I won`t use it just concerned about the security.

SIP app would the best solution. More generic so it can use more providers, secure and homey could make a phone calls too. It is harder to develop for sure.
  • gruijter_devgruijter_dev Member
    edited September 2016
    @ZperX: Concerning the security I was assuming something that was wrong. I have been reading some more about it, and it appears that when using HTTPS (which all service do except TextBelt) the data from the URL is actually encrypted also. So it is pretty secure.

see for further explaination: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/758002.html#answer
  • @DieterKoblenz : I found some time :smiley:  You can get a new version at GitHub (0.0.2) that should work with Clickatell. I have no credits myself, so I could only partly test. Please let me know if it fully works (especially the from - number functionality is unclear if it works correctly)
    Installed! It works  :) including the "From" functionality!

Would you be able to add a test button? So if I change my password I don't have to send a unnecessary sms? 
  • Yes I can add a test button. In a next release I will add it. Thanks for the feedback! That really helps to keep me motivated in maintaining and improving the app.:)
  • Yes I can add a test button. In a next release I will add it. Thanks for the feedback! That really helps to keep me motivated in maintaining and improving the app.:)
    It's an great app! Simple to use, does what it does!
  • @YvesGeffens : VoiceTrading is now also added. If you know how to install from GitHub you can use it right away. Otherwise you have to wait for Athom to approve the appstore release (usually within a week)
    Thanks, I waited until approved by Athom.
    I tested it (with Voicetrading), but I get this:

"error: undefined"

Nothing happens
  • @YvesGeffens ;: Dang! You're right. I broke all the DellMont providers while adding Voicetrading. Working on a fix now.
  • v0.0.3 just uploaded to the appstore. If you need an early fix you can get it from GitHub already :blush: 
  • I'm very anxious to see it work !

Have you ever heard of this: https://smsgateway.me/
    You install a gateway app on your phone and you can sent/receive messages from your own phone. If you have an old Android phone that is unused, pop in a sim card, and go...
  • Interesting the smsgateway.me. I think I could integrate this as well. Will look into it maybe this weekend. Thx for the tip!
  • It's a shame the API endpoint seems to be on the internet rather that your phone.
    So if your internet is out, at home, your unable to send text messages.
  • I was actually thinking of building this app myself, for use with targetsms.nl (which is kind of a 'premium' sms delivery service, we use it for sending SMS in case of detected server crashes at our webhosting company). I might look into doing a push request in a few weeks after my vacation.
    edited September 2016
  • @YvesGeffens @jorden  Besides TargetSMS also smsgateway.me is added for experimental users on GitHub (0.0.4beta). Please let me know if it works allright.
  • version 0.0.4 has just been approved and is available in the appstore
  • @YvesGeffens Thank you for the generous donation! :p :)
    edited October 2016
    version 0.0.5 has just been uploaded and is waiting approval in the appstore. It adds compatibility to fw 0.10.1
  • Cant get TextBelt send a SMS to the Netherlands tryed +316****** and 00316*****.
    Any other free SMS service that works for the Netherlands?
    edited October 2016
    If you find one, please let me know ;)
  • v0.0.6 is waiting approval in the appstore. It fixes occasional  'undefined provider' crash
  • v1.0.0 is waiting approval in the appstore. It is mostly internal code updates.
  • chrisboerchrisboer Member
    edited January 2017
    Would it be possible to put in https://login.spryngsms.com/   of https://www.twilio.com

• @chrisboer I could definitely look into those two if you are willing to test for me (I have no account/credit there :) )