This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official CommunityApp

[App] Samsung Smart TV by Casper Boone - main discussion topic

Comments

• Hi,

Any news about an application for Samsung smart tv?
  • caspercasper Member
    Nope, sorry. Not sure yet how I'm going to fix the app for other models. Will try to put some thought into it this week.

Also, please contact me if you still have the old Samsung Smart TV app on your phone. The old app looks like this one:

(the newer app does not use all the data needed)

Note that if you have to enter a code to access your tv from the app (this is the case with some of the 2014 models), your tv will not be supported.
  • @casper thanks for the reply,

I have the same model as you, (UE46F6500, 2013). Is it possible to test your application?
  • oliveolive Member
    Hello Casper

First thanks for your big work, but i dont understand why athom dont help with the samsung app. I cant understand, Samsung Tv has a lot of people and this is a must have in a app store! Thanks again for your work
  • Hey @casper,
    I have an UE40F5500, its from 2013 (I think).
    I would be happy to test youre app.

I'll install it, let me know if you still need the feedback ;)
  • caspercasper Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi guys, I appreciate your help. I would like to do some one-one-one test sessions for unsupported models this week. Please let me know if you would like to help out and are available this week in the evenings (The Netherlands, UTC +2).

Here are some contact details + more infor about the supported models (taken from the readme):

Unfortunately Samsung has no uniform way of communication with their Smart TVs. Below are the expected supported capabilities per year of the model.

2011 (D series) or earlier

Currently unknown, please let me know.

2012 (E(S/H) series)

• Toggle Mute
    • Volume Up
    • Volume Down
    • Power Off

Not all capabilities are currently supported for this model. If you would like to help me make these features available to this model, please let me know.

2013 (F series)

• Set Channel
    • Set Source
    • Toggle Mute
    • Volume Up
    • Volume Down
    • Power Off

2014 (H series)

• Set Channel (not confirmed)
    • Set Source

Not all capabilities are currently supported for this model. If you would like to help me make these features available to this model, please let me know.

2015 (J/K series) or newer

Not supported. Samsung TVs now run on Tizen which is for now outside the scope of this app.

Known Supported Models

• UE46F6500 (2013)
    • UE40F6400 (2013, thanks to René Roelfsema for reporting this)

Does the app work with your model? Please let me know, so I can add it the model to the list.

Contact Me

My intentions are to make the app available to as many people as possible. In case you want to help me accomplish this by providing details about your unsupported tv, please contact me via Join the chat at httpsgitterimcasperboonehomey-samsung-smart-tv or on the Athom Community Slack (@casper). Also, feel free to send a PR of course, they are more than welcome.

• I have a older model, is it not possible to install the app from the app store?  :/
  • caspercasper Member
    Reemster said:
    I have a older model, is it not possible to install the app from the app store?  :/
    Not yet, will be possible soon. How old is 'older'?
  • cautjecautje Member
    Hi, i Have a es8000 2012 model and like to test your app!
  • caspercasper Member
    cautje said:
    Hi, i Have a es8000 2012 model and like to test your app!
    That would be cool. Please check out the post above on how to contact me.
  • ReemsterReemster Member
    edited July 2016
    casper said:
    Reemster said:
    I have a older model, is it not possible to install the app from the app store? 
    Ok, great. Model UE46F5500, 2013 year. Is that old enough?

• caspercasper Member
    Reemster said:
    casper said:
    Reemster said:
    I have a older model, is it not possible to install the app from the app store? 
    Ok, great. Model UE46F5500, 2013 year. Is that old enough?

That's pretty close to the model I'm testing on, so guess it will work for you :)
  • Hi 

I have a UE46D8090YSXZG from 2011 available for testing
  • caspercasper Member
    OKHomey79 said:
    Hi 

I have a UE46D8090YSXZG from 2011 available for testing
  • siem45siem45 Member
    Hello,

I have a UE40ES6100 model from 2012 and wil be available for testing.
  • caspercasper Member
    siem45 said:
    Hello,

I have a UE40ES6100 model from 2012 and wil be available for testing.
  • Any ETA on the app? :)
  • JanHJanH Member
    edited September 2016
    @casperboone Tnx for creating the Samsung TV-app. I just installed it at my TV (UE40ES6530). I would like to inform you about my first experiences.
    Switching TV off is working fine. The other available functions are not reacting and I'am afraid they couldnot work because I'm using a settopbox (XS4ALL interactive TV). So all standard functions like changing channels or volume +/- are managed by the STB, via HDMI connected to the TV. Or am I misunderstanding something about the app?
  • Think your TV is similar to mine, so you should be able to change source but thats it. Volume, mute don't work. Fact that changing channels doesn't work is "intended behavior", that is controlled by by the settuopbox. 
  • Look above, you fall in the 2014 category I think ;)
  • JanH said:
    @casperboone Tnx for creating the Samung TV-app. I just installed it at my TV (UE40ES6530). I would like to inform you about my first experiences.
    Switching TV off is working fine. The other available functions are not reacting and I'am afraid they couldnot work because I'm using a settopbox (XS4ALL interactive TV). So all standard functions like changing channels or volume +/- are managed by the STB, via HDMI connected to the TV. Or am I misunderstanding something about the app?
    Well, if all those things are controlled by your settopbox, then this app won't be able to help you indeed. The things below are not directly aimed at you.

Please note btw that at this time only the F-series are 'supported' (if you currently have any problems changing sources with this series, an update that fixes this is currently in review and will be available soon). For all other series, you might be able to get some of the available features to work, but I cannot really make any guarantees. 

I'm currently looking for a good way to gather information on other series, but I'm not sure yet how I will do this. In the meantime, if you're a developer, feel free to do some research/testing yourself, and submit PRs :smiley:.
  • Also, if you encounter any crashes of the app please let me know (personally). I'm getting some crash reports, but need to know a bit more about the circumstances, before I can look into possible solutions.
  • casper said:
    Well, if all those things are controlled by your settopbox, then this app won't be able to help you indeed. The things below are not directly aimed at you.

Tnx Casper for your quick response and the confirmation of my assumption about the STB.
    Which clever Homeyan could think about making an app for this and/or other types of STB's? I think many of us are using that kind of tuners.
  • JanH said:
    casper said:

Tnx Casper for your quick response and the confirmation of my assumption about the STB.
    Which clever Homeyan could think about making an app for this and/or other types of STB's? I think many of us are using that kind of tuners.
    Depending on the STB you are likely stuck with IR (Support comes back at Homey 1.0.0 so somewhere in 2018 ;)
  • caspercasper Member
    edited September 2016
    JanH said:
    casper said:

I'm not sure if that's even possible. Your STB has to expose some kind of (network) interface to be controlled remotely. Since your STB doesn't even have an app or something similar (correct me if I'm wrong), I doubt that your STB has such an interface.

Another solution for your STB is to just use IR, which will soon be available again. (edit: @DieterKoblenz was a few secs quicker ;) )

• @DieterKoblenz I agree with you about IR but..... Don't be too pessimistic about the promised version 1.0.x.
  • Super awesome! V0.02 working perfect!  :) great job, Casper! 
  • Reemster said:
    Super awesome! V0.02 working perfect!  :) great job, Casper! 
    Good to hear :smile:. Do you mind sharing your model number so I can add it to list with supported models?
  • Sure:  UE46F5500AW