This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Z-Wave issue: Something went wrong

I have a problem adding a Z-wave device. It gives an error everytime I try it (see screenshot). Until two days ago (on 0.9.3) I could add a Z-Wave Nodon device without too much problems. I worked on some improvements of the driver for the switch and had to remove/add the device many times. A couple of days ago a driver was published on github that looked better than mine, so i thought of installing it and see how it worked.

It worked fine the first time with the other driver. But since i'm not able to connect the device anymore. Not with both drivers, removing the driver (so with default Z-Wave). Removing the device is not possible, as it is not connected. Connecting it always get the Error: "Er is iets fout gegaan".

As far as I can see it can not be the distance. The device is about 1 cm from Homey.

The only thing I did not try is resetting the Z-Wave network, as this means I have to connect all my wall plugs in the house again and also editing all the flows again.

Did somebody has had this error before and found a way to solve it? 

Comments

• Did you try PTP ? ( Pull The Plug ) Wait for about 5 min and put the plug back in.... than wait again for some time to add the device again......
  • AlexanderAlexander Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes. I rebooted several times and did the PTP 2 times (with a Kaku problem I had this helped). Sadly no difference.
  • Did you w8 about 30 min before inserting new Zwave devices??
  • Did you w8 about 30 min before inserting new Zwave devices??
    Wait 30min. to add new Z-Wave devices??
  • Yes for the mesh network to be setup correctly
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited September 2016
    Yes for the mesh network to be setup correctly
    Pairing a device at <50cm of Homey has nothing to do with Mesh.
    Pairing at <50cm is 1:1 communication between device to pair and Homey.
    edited September 2016
    I agree with MarcoF. The mesh network should not have anything to do with it. The network stuff will start after the device has been added. Before pairing it is not part of the network.

But, I tried so many times that also the wait 30min wait has been done.
  • A little bit more info would be appreciated.
    What kind of device are you trying to include.
    What version of the app are you trying to include it with.
    Since you were busy with improving the driver, did you change anything in the app.json or only in the driver
    edited September 2016
    caseda said:
    A little bit more info would be appreciated.
    What kind of device are you trying to include.
    What version of the app are you trying to include it with.
    Since you were busy with improving the driver, did you change anything in the app.json or only in the driver
    No problem:
    • I try to add the Nodon Wallswitch (http://nodon.fr/en/z-wave/interrupteur-z-wave-by-nodon_12-2)
    • Homey Firmware Version: 0.9.3
    • I first wrote quickly my own app (not in appstore or github) because of the problems I had with the Kaku devices (that has been solved). This was a very basic app, but working fine for 1 click on all the buttons. To make it work I had to pair and remove the device multiple times.
    • Than in github a Nodon app showed: https://github.com/caseda/com.nodon That one also supports 2 click and long click. So I thought to install that app instead of mine. The first time it installed and paired, but it did not work. Removed the device, added some debug statements to the code to see why it was not working and tried to pair it. Since than it does not pair. Also removing the driver installing the original code from github or my driver (that was working) does not make any difference. Als removing the driver, so using the default Z-Wave pairing does not work.

• casedacaseda Member
    edited September 2016
    That does indeed sound like an error in the z-wave core library, this does not got reset with pulling the power plug.
    You could try to restart homey via Settings -> System -> [Reboot], this will restart the chip and library.

If that not works the only option will probably be to reset the z-wave chip.

But before you do a reset, didn't it work at all? (when it still was including)
    What did you try to add as debug, maybe can be fixed code-wise.

EDIT: btw did you try to reset the switch to its default internally? (hold the down-left and down-right button for a few seconds until the LED start blinking red and green)
  • caseda said:
    That does indeed sound like an error in the z-wave core library, this does not got reset with pulling the power plug.
    You could try to restart homey via Settings -> System -> [Reboot], this will restart the chip and library.

If that not works the only option will probably be to reset the z-wave chip.

But before you do a reset, didn't it work at all? (when it still was including)
    What did you try to add as debug, maybe can be fixed code-wise.

EDIT: btw did you try to reset the switch to its default internally? (hold the down-left and down-right button for a few seconds until the LED start blinking red and green)
    I have rebooted several times and I have put the switch back to its defaults a couple of times. No difference.

My feeling is that it is a problem in the z-wave core library. The Z-wave communication still runs, as my wall plugs are all working. Maybe it can be solved with a Z-wave reset. But that means I have to pair all the wall-plugs again, and this is a pain. They are all around the house and some of them are not easy reachable. And after pairing I have to edit all the flows as well. 

"But before you do a reset, didn't it work at all? (when it still was including)
    What did you try to add as debug, maybe can be fixed code-wise."
    When I used my driver was working ok. When I installed the driver from Github no buttons where working. I than added some "Homey.log(" to the driver.js to find out if a button press was detected. It could well be that after the first pairing something happened (not related to the app) in Homey. And because of that the app did not work and now the pairing does not go ok. 
  • What i would suggest is to wait a few mnitues (4-5) before trying to add a new Z-Wave / Remove a device or use Z-Wave as a trigger.

I've experience that when Homey is started (Rainbow spinning) Z-Wave needs a little bit more before it is ready, if you give it a command while it is getting ready it could crash until you reboot again. See also https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/837

• Arjan said:
    What i would suggest is to wait a few mnitues (4-5) before trying to add a new Z-Wave / Remove a device or use Z-Wave as a trigger.

I've experience that when Homey is started (Rainbow spinning) Z-Wave needs a little bit more before it is ready, if you give it a command while it is getting ready it could crash until you reboot again. See also https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/837

I have experienced the same problem as well after reading the bug report.
    But in this case I tried it again a few hours after rebooting Homey. And I could see that my Z-wave devices where working (I could turn on/off my lamps). So in this case it has to be something else.
  • Would create a bug and send a Log to Athom.
  • A Z-wave network reset did the trick.
    Now I can add the switch (and all the other wall plugs, zucht).
    And the Nodon driver is working fine (latest version from github).
    Thanks for all your help. 
  • @Alexander ;
    the latest github version is now the same as the one in the store :smile: 

and good luck with re-adding all devices, i know how it feels (done it sooo many times now)