This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Speech recognition

I'm struggling a lot with the speech recognition. I use the Dutch language and tried different distances. After saying something I check on the ####/manager/speech-input/ page what Homey has understand. Closer improves it a bit, but a lot of times what I say is not understand at all, or only partly. The goal is of course that Homey can understand most of the things I say from a few m distance.
From what I say only 1 in 4 times it is understand correctly at a few meters.

Who has good results with it, and how did you set it up? Do you make a sentence like" "Ok Homey put on the lights" (In my case "OK Homey zet de lichten aan"), or do you wait after the "Ok Homey".
What works well?
Does English works better than Dutch?
And if Homey understand what you say, how does your flow looks like?

Comments

• no time to translate now  so dutch only

het is mij opgevallen dat bij versie 0.9.1   homey mij uitstekend verstond.     
    9 van 10 was goed.     bij 0.9.2    was dit effect weer weg.
    ik heb hier geen verklaring voor, en lees hier op het forum ook niks over terug.
    ik kan mezelf natuurlijk iets wijsmaken, maar dat denk ik niet.
    vraag is voor mij nu....    wat zou ik wel of niet geinstalleerd hebben wat hierop van invloed zou kunnen zijn.
    ik heb geen zwave.
    is er nog iemand met deze ervaring??    of was ik echt de enige?

feel free to tranlate (i am at work late)
  • Never had any recognition problems with Homey in English, I was never a big fan of the Dutch recognition. I get 9/10 when using longer sentences (Like turn lights on works better then lights on)
  • No problems here. FW 0.9.3, language Dutch and talking to Homey from at least 5 meters, most of the time further away.
    I say "Ok Homey" and then wait till i see he is in listening mode, ring shows he is.
    No special setup beside i mute my sonos with a flow. You dont want background noise so no radio or tv sound on.
  • SandemanSandeman Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm having difficulties with voice recognition a long time. (Dutch and English)
    'the earlier software versions had a voice learning tool, but this is gone now, so i don't know how to test or improve the voice recognition.

I also bought a foam and placed it arround Homey to test if the sound/my room has to much echo. But no improvement with that.
    My room has a wooden floor and concrete sealing, i think home doesn't like that kind of echo-rooms.
    If  anyone has suggestions, please let us know.
  • Recognition in Dutch is near perfect here... when I talk to it from a distance of max 50cm  :s

I can get it to react to 'OK Homey' from 5 meters away, but speech is never recognized then. 
  • :s and always keeping Homey within 50cm from your head isn't a option?

• Fire69 said:
    Recognition in Dutch is near perfect here... when I talk to it from a distance of max 50cm  :s

I can get it to react to 'OK Homey' from 5 meters away, but speech is never recognized then. 
    This sounds similar to what I see as well. For larger distances the "Ok Homey" works well. But even at 50 cm I still have words that he does not understand.

Homey is standing on top of a cabinet in my living room. To be usefull it should work when you sit on the couch, or near the door when you enter the room. Both are about 4 m away.

I will try changing the language to English and see what difference it makes.
  • Hello Alexander

I use the english language and i have the same poblem, the speech recognition is not perfect. The problem is i think the distance. When i speak nearly 1meter is no problem but when i speak 4-5 meters, homey dont understand me. But i hope athom know this problem and works on there.

• I'm thinking it's a problem (software) with the microphone.
    When I'm very close (the 50cm) and I talk to it, you see the orange ring fluctuate with the volume of my voice.
    When I'm further away, it doesn't change so I'm thinking it just doesn't hear me loud enough.
  • Does 'OK Homey' work for all of you (English and Dutch)?
    My Homey never reacts to that over here. 
  • @RikPost "Ok Homey" works for me all the time. Which firmware are you on? The Voice-learning we had in the past made things worse...
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited August 2016
    Try to lower ur voice.
    Or maybe a higher voice works for u.
  • I'm on 0.9.3. I think Homey stopped listening somewhere in a 0.8.x update, after the learning option was removed. I'll try other positions and higher/ lower voice.
This discussion has been closed.