This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Plex application - main discussion thread

Comments

• MikeOne said:

Edit 2 - Do flow triggers Plex starts playing/stop playing only work when you use voice commands? When I use my remote to start a movie it doesn't trigger.

That is correct (at the moment). I have no reliable way to query PMS to find out if something is playing unfortunately. Maybe I'll have another look at this to see if I can reliably poll an endpoint that gives me this ability.
    @MarkSwift ;

• @MikeOne ;

That being said, the PMS web api has a status endpoint: /status/sessions

It does not show if it is actually playing or paused but if this is the best available I could live with it.
  • I already use sessions in order to deal with things like "next episode". However, this endpoint is pretty much useless for flows as they are very 'sticky'. In other words, a sessions sticks around for minutes, even after you stopped playing. Also, no session is shown if you play through chromecast :-(
  • MikeOne said:

Edit 2 - Do flow triggers Plex starts playing/stop playing only work when you use voice commands? When I use my remote to start a movie it doesn't trigger.

That is correct (at the moment). I have no reliable way to query PMS to find out if something is playing unfortunately. Maybe I'll have another look at this to see if I can reliably poll an endpoint that gives me this ability.
    @MarkSwift ;

I use Plexpy for other notifications, it seems to handle everything possible without issues.
  • Yes I need to reverse engineer that thing to find out if it is portable to Node..
  • De_KraaiDe_Kraai Member
    edited July 2016
    App keeps crashing, when I connect my Plex account to homey everything is fine, when i choose a server also... but when the media is updating, the app shuts down (crashes) and wont come back on. Only manually by disabling and enabling the app. but then again as soon as it starts updating the media it crashes again. Sometimes I can see the latest added movies tough, but still crashes.

Version: v1.1.0

• Qx5Qx5 Member
    I finaly had time to test V1.1.0 and it finaly works for me! Nice job on the setup page. When finishing the plex.tv pin procedure I see 2 servers (local: true and local:false). I just pressed the local one, is that preferred?

Only problem for me is casting to chromecast in general. It is really slow for me but I have this problem also when casting a plex movie from my pc. I guess my laptop is not fast enough in transcoding. 

Can you advice a specific movie format that wouldn't need any transcoding? Or do you have experience with pretranscoding movies/series in plex?

I'm considering buying a new raspberry pi and configuring it as "media server". Anyone here good experiences with that? (so plex server, not player, on a rbp).

Anyhow good job on the app @MikeOne !
  • De_Kraai said:
    App keeps crashing, when I connect my Plex account to homey everything is fine, when i choose a server also... but when the media is updating, the app shuts down (crashes) and wont come back on. Only manually by disabling and enabling the app. but then again as soon as it starts updating the media it crashes again. Sometimes I can see the latest added movies tough, but still crashes.

Hoe many items do you have in your media library (movies+series)?

if you open the javascript console in chrome, while having the settings page open, you might find out why it's crashing (CPU Warnings probably)..
  • Plex now supports Sonos. https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-sonos-better-together

So the question is will we be able to play a song via the plex app to our Sonos speakers?
  • I still cannot get the app to keep running, crashes after a day or so :-(
  • Any news on the stability or detecting what's playing? This would make a huge difference to me, as currently I use a plugin for Plex to control my hues, it's detached from my flows though and hence there's no real control while movies are playing :-(
  • Sorry, I'm actually on holiday at the moment, until the end of next week. I hope to find some time in the second half of August to address issues.
  • MikeOne said:
    De_Kraai said:

Hoe many items do you have in your media library (movies+series)?

if you open the javascript console in chrome, while having the settings page open, you might find out why it's crashing (CPU Warnings probably)..
    it seems to work oke now, after updating homey to 0.9.2. 

1976 movies, 3153 episodes.

still cant add plex in a then flow. and cant add chromecasts trough plex app.
    i will wait till you are back from youre holliday
  • Just installed the Plex app. Connecting to the server and updating the media works fine.

But i cant add any players. Started my PHT but the app wont find it. 
    The devices.xml is also empty on the server not sure if this is because of Plex server 1.0.3.2461

• @Sillyjan , that is strange. The only thing I can think of is that the player is not signed into plex.tv or your player is not connected to the internet at all.
  • phbphb Member
    @MikeOne  after update homey firmware 0.9.2 , we can't  add plex as device "invalid_capability "
  • edited August 2016
    @MikeOne @phb ;https://github.com/MikeOne/nl.kikkert.plex/pull/5

this solves the invalid_capability error. running fine here now
  • Thanks Menno, i'll have a look and do a merge!
  • @MikeOne, please please investigate the new flow cards that a few of us have requested. It would make the app perfect!
  • It's really weird, I don't seem to be receiving any notifications from github about issues or pull-requests.. hmmm..
  • MarkSwift said:
    @MikeOne, please please investigate the new flow cards that a few of us have requested. It would make the app perfect!
    Hey Mark (and others) - would it be possible for you to add this request to Github (labeled as an enhancement)? That way I can keep track of these things more easily.
  • Qx5 said:
    I finaly had time to test V1.1.0 and it finaly works for me! Nice job on the setup page. When finishing the plex.tv pin procedure I see 2 servers (local: true and local:false). I just pressed the local one, is that preferred?

Only problem for me is casting to chromecast in general. It is really slow for me but I have this problem also when casting a plex movie from my pc. I guess my laptop is not fast enough in transcoding. 

Can you advice a specific movie format that wouldn't need any transcoding? Or do you have experience with pretranscoding movies/series in plex?

I'm considering buying a new raspberry pi and configuring it as "media server". Anyone here good experiences with that? (so plex server, not player, on a rbp).

Anyhow good job on the app @MikeOne !
    So Sorry, I missed your post here. casting has some room for improvement as (as you noticed) almost everything is now being transcoded (which is okay) however, it's all done with the universal transcoder (instead of making a smarter choice). This needs more work to optimize. Movies encoded to mp4 are 'Direct play' so shouldn't use encoding. I have no experience myself with a rasplex, but I think some users here are using one succesfully.
  • I submitted an update to the App Store for approval. This is a quick fix for the capabilities change that broke the app in 0.9.2 (thanks @MennoVanGrinsven)
  • Okay guys, I'm looking at the following at the moment:

1) App crashes. My guess is that this is a ChromeCast only issue. I'm seeing some crash reports coming in that indicate that the ChromeCast module (an external module I'm using) has some deep-rooted problem whereby it looses a reference to the cast device resulting in an 'addMembership ENODEV' error, which is causing a hard crash. This one is pretty hard to troubleshoot as it is occurring on some submodule (dgram/multicast) and I'm also not sure what the root cause is. I've never encountered the issue on my local setup so I'm unsure how to proceed if I cannot reproduce.

2) Flow triggers for external Plex starts/stops. People are requesting a possibility to trigger a flow when plex is started outside of homey. At the moment, flow triggers already work when you start or stop plex using Homey (either by speech or by flows). However, IF I understand correctly (@MarkSwift ?) - you guys would also like to be able to trigger flows when Plex starts externally (i.e. remote control etc), so outside of Homey .

This is an interesting one. Or at least a challenging one for multiple reasons:

a) I can't find an event I could subscribe to in PMS which means I will have to poll PMS at a fairly high right (poll its /status/sessions/ endpoint). This is pretty intensive as to make it usable, i'd have to poll at a minimum of once every 4 or 5 seconds I guess. This polling will have to happen continuously, 24 hours a day. 
    b) I need to build in an exception for chromecast sessions started with Homey - as for some vague reason they do not show up in PMS.
    c) I need to find a way to handle multiple installed players (multiple zones) as I guess you'd want to know which player has been started or stopped. 
    d) The /status/sessions/ endpoint also shows external sessions (if you have shared your server with a friend), those need to be excluded from doing anything.

Th real challenge lies in matching up the correct player with an active session. The reason this is difficult is because of the multiple driver setup we have (chromecast and PHT) and the fact that chromecast players do not exactly have a unique identifier. On top of that, the drivers processes are separated from the PMS processes (on purpose, separation of concern to make driver development easier) - however, this has a side-effect that the matching (of PMS sessions) with current drivers are more complicated. I guess its Plex once again (due to its very limited API) that is causing my headaches :-)

I have to think a bit more about this.. Maybe it is more logical to create a separate 'Plex Notifier' app for Homey that deals with this.
  • Thanks @mikeone, can't wait for 1.1.1!
  • Should be available already..
  • MikeOneMikeOne Member
    edited August 2016
    For the connoisseur; I have finished a PMP (Plex Media Player) driver. It's pretty functional, expect for playing content from remote (shared) servers, for some reasons it just refuses to play that (maybe because it is still in beta and only for plex pass holders). So a PMP driver will be available in the next release.

My current short-term roadmap: 1) Support for 'continue' (would you like to continue movie/episode where you finished last time?) and 2) Music support (this will be a time consuming one).

Any other feature requests? Please do a single post per request so others can upvote your post. 
  • PHT driver? :-)

P.S. Great work @MikeOne ;
  • MarkSwift said:
    PHT driver? :-)
    Me not understand what you mean.. :-) 

• @MikeOne if you been something tested that is Plex Pass restricted , I have a lifetime plex pass at I could test some stuff for you