This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Z-Wave: any experience with Sensative strips?

JanHJanH Member
edited April 2016 in Archive
dear Homeyans,

A Z-Wave question to any of you.
I'm figuring out the best solutions for securing my almost finished new home. Amongst other things I'm looking for door and window sensors.
I came across Z-Wave plus strips by Sensative. See picture. These seem to be good stuff.
Does any of you have experience with these things in combination with Homey or in combination with another controller?
Btw, I'm one of the pre-orderers expecting my new pet within the coming weeks.
Thanks for any reply.

Comments

• I was very interested in these at well, but I have aluminum windows and wondered if that wouldn't block the signal.
    So I mailed Sensative and they couldn't assure me it would work very well...

Don't know about your windows, but that's something to consider before ordering them.
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited April 2016
    Fire69 said:
    I was very interested in these at well, but I have aluminum windows and wondered if that wouldn't block the signal.

Don't know about your windows, but that's something to consider before ordering them.
    In this video, they recommend not to use with steel:

Aluminum, I guess its not recommended either.

@JanH shouldn't be a problem adding it.
  • JanHJanH Member
    Fire69 said:
    I was very interested in these at well, but I have aluminum windows and wondered if that wouldn't block the signal.

Thanks for the advice! Frames of my home are of synthetic materials. No problem with that I presume
  • You should be ok then :)

Seems like a very nice solution, I wish I could get invisible sensors too!
    One thing to note is that the battery is not replaceable, so I hope their claim about battery life is correct :)
  • I installed 2 Sensative strips on the attic windows:

Pairing worked with Homey added as sensors. Homey recognizes the contact alarm in the cards correctly, battery level is indicated correctly, tamper alarm also works only the generic alarm is constantly on.

Unfortunately the triggers do not work in flows, but this is more a zwave issue on Homey I believe as there are some more treads around that topic here on the forum. Until this is fixed it makes them kind of useless, unless you want to manual read out status on the cards in the app ;) @Athom ; announced to have the new zwave rewrite very soon so this will probably be fixed in the short term.

I chose for Sensative because the attic windows do not allow for thick sensors and I wanted to have them kind of invisible. They can easily pair 2 floors up directly with Homey so the range on zwave is pretty good.

• Unfortunately the triggers do not work in flows, but this is more a zwave issue on Homey I believe as there are some more treads around that topic here on the forum.
    Indeed, prior to 0.8.39 my single Strips sensor used to work perfectly.

Recently I've had to readd the Strips to my Z-Wave network. I'm not sure which device was to blame for that really, but I noticed the little LED on the Strips was double blinking (?) on opening the door. In any case the manual said it only did that in demo mode or whatever. After re-adding, it worked okay again, but that was already after the 0.8.39 update, so yeah, not very useful at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.