This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey v0.8.36

EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
Homey v0.8.36 has just been released to experimental users.

Changelog:
  • Completed Dutch translation
  • Fixed a bug where Homey would freeze
  • Fixed a bug where Flows would be saved outside their folder
  • Added an option to enable USB mode for developers using Windows
  • Performance improvements
  • Stability improvements
  • Interface improvements
Enjoy your weekend, and please report any issues here: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues

Comments

• Nice! Updated. Gonna test with Dutch language this weekend. Hopefully that will improve WAF..
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited June 2016
    @Emile what about 0.8.34 or 0.8.35 switching to stable? would test the new hue-app, but with 0.8.32 i can't?
  • wingiewingie Member
    @Emile translation is done but some of the labels are to small to contain the text. For example settings -> spraak -> langzaam (m past niet) en extra langzaam verdwijnt grotendeels uit beeld
  • some issues after upgrade:
    - /api/manager/settings/ returns duplicates for apps (all apps are displayed twice on left)
    - apps manually installed are gone (athom project --install)
    - insights are not rendered due "TypeError: window.__ is not a function" in __h()
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    - /api/manager/settings/ returns duplicates for apps (all apps are displayed twice on left)
    For me a reboot fixed this....
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited June 2016
    How long does the update take? Yellow circle for approx one hour.
    I tried to reboot but still yellow circle.
    I don't know if it's save to unplug power.
    [FIXED] Because screensaver app was deleted by update Homey has chosen to use yellow/orange circle.
  • How to force the update? I reboot already via Settings. But still on 35. I need this update :)
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    settings - updates - "check for updates" ?
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited June 2016
    Uncheck the automatic box at update . And do an mannual update. 
  • glijie said:
    Uncheck the automatic box at update . And do an mannual update. 
    Thnx will try as soon as I can access the damn brick :)
  • phil_s said:
    @Emile what about 0.8.34 or 0.8.35 switching to stable? would test the new hue-app, but with 0.8.32 i can't?

How would .34 and .35 become stable without a godly intervention.
    They have proven to contain serieus bugs. So they will never become stable.

If you want it you got to wait or just go to .36 . if you are scared you can Always wait a few days and read on slack or the forum what people thing of .36 and what the problems are.

And you can offcourse hope God wil return for its godly intervention to make .34 and .35 stable.

• MennoMenno Member
    installation went okay
    but now I have double apps

• MennoMenno Member
    other issue I'm missing a few apps: Logitech Harmony, onkyo and Kodi (possible they were installed from github)
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    A reboot solved the double items for me.
  • MennoMenno Member
    Indeed reboot fixed double apps but missing apps still missing
    Led ring missing knight rider

• Ok a point of criticism here. Looking at the release notes, I do not want to discourage the Athom development team but here are my thoughts...again...not to bash but just wondering if you (including Athom guys) feel the same way...it's just a matter of allocating resources to the items with the right priority. Heck use MoSCoW for all I care...just something to get prio's straight?

0.8.36 experimental

• Completed Dutch translation --> not a prio for now. If english works...all backers know english. Dutch could have been added later...
    • Fixed a bug where Homey would freeze --> good
    • Fixed a bug where Flows would be saved outside their folder --> Not a dealbreaker. 
    • Added an option to enable USB mode for developers using Windows --> for basic functionality no prio
    • Performance improvements --> always nice but rather have a homey which recognises my voice, accepts IR input. No prio at the moment.
    • Stability improvements --> you can argue about this one. Let's say it is a good thing ;)
    • Interface improvements --> fiddling about. Why care about these futalities if key things are not working.
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Ok a point of criticism here. Looking at the release notes, I do not want to discourage the Athom development team but here are my thoughts...again...not to bash but just wondering if you (including Athom guys) feel the same way...it's just a matter of allocating resources to the items with the right priority. Heck use MoSCoW for all I care...just something to get prio's straight?

0.8.36 experimental

• Completed Dutch translation --> not a prio for now. If english works...all backers know english. Dutch could have been added later...
    • Fixed a bug where Homey would freeze --> good
    • Fixed a bug where Flows would be saved outside their folder --> Not a dealbreaker. 
    • Added an option to enable USB mode for developers using Windows --> for basic functionality no prio
    • Performance improvements --> always nice but rather have a homey which recognises my voice, accepts IR input. No prio at the moment.
    • Stability improvements --> you can argue about this one. Let's say it is a good thing ;)
    • Interface improvements --> fiddling about. Why care about these futalities if key things are not working.
    MoSCow or not, i think all fixed stuff add's to the Homeys stability and user acces-ability are important.. I love the way development is developing <3

• honeyhoney Member
    @shardphoenix ;+1 on the IR and would add tackling the terrible Z-wave range
  • Can someone confirm that locally installed apps can be installed through athom-cli again after the update without issues. That is currently stopping me from updating right now.
  • MennoMenno Member
    @honey ;

read https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1430/software-status@ 
    "The promised Z-Wave rewrite is making huge steps and is going faster than we expected"

• Pfff... Homey kept yellow/orange circle because screensaver app was removed and no default screensaver was set.

• MennoMenno Member
    @Phuturist ;
    Just tried to install onkyo from github but received the following error:

Stack trace:

SyntaxError: Unexpected token .
    at exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:53:16)
    at Module._compile (module.js:373:25)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:416:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:343:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:300:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:353:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:12:17)
    at /homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:961
    at Array.forEach (native)
    at eventListeners.clientDriverInit (/homey-app/manager/drivers.js:1:712)
  • casedacaseda Member
    What can we even say about what has most prio...
    for IR to be improved, maybe something else needs improving FIRST..
    "Performance improvements";
    "Stability improvements";
    they are very broad terms, do you know what has been updated.? I don't think so.
    A lot of things are being improved on the backend of homey.

There are probably even other people working on "IR" then "Performance Improvements".
    Something I saw this morning as wel about IR
    "a 20 pound chinese IR remote is even better then homey"
    well i don't know about this, but i don't see a generic chinese IR remote do:
    full 360 degrees IR;
    do all IR languages (There are many! besides the normal "television and radio" IR);

IR is more difficult then you think, especially with 6! IR senders.
    For example you don't want to have a double or even triple IR commands to a device.. (what you definitely can get with bouncing of walls)

You can't make all people happy at the same time, that is just impossible.
    I think and just my 2 cents, homey being more stable = biggest priority.
    If we get IR without stability, you still will be mad because "homey isn't stable you should've worked on that first!"

There are just too many things people want to be implemented.. more then there are people working @ athom.
    Bluetooth LE;
    Infra Red;
    Better Voice Recognition (they are looking at the google API for that at the moment, even though google does NOT handle dutch, at all.);
    Z-Wave Improvements (complete rewrite of the API is making good steps forward);
    Music Streaming;
    Zigbee;
    Arduino Library;
    And still more to come...

It's all things that we want, badly, and we all want it yesterday.
    Just stop complaining and bitching about, and be happy with what you Already have thanks to homey.
    Without it, what options would you have had then.? to do what it already can do.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited June 2016
    @Phuturist ;;;;
    I installed the better logic app (.35 fixed version) locally without any problems, with old CLI and the updated one.

Edit 1: After a restart it stopped working again and has been deleted:
    404 (Not Found) error for the language Json's and settings page.

Edit 2: The language Json's are an bug introduced by .36, get it with multiple apps, looks like it wants to include all languages even though they are not there.? Maybe someone can confirm this.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited June 2016
    For the people that had the better logic app installed via GitHub because it was not saving variables.. it has been fixed for the original app store version, it stores variables (again) even after a restart (power cycle)

I presume this is for all other apps that use the same way of saving data to homey as well
  • honeyhoney Member
    Menno said:
    @honey ;

read https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1430/software-status@ 
    "The promised Z-Wave rewrite is making huge steps and is going faster than we expected"

Perfectly aware of that. However Athom has never commented on the questions How deep will be this rewrite. Will it include the signal processing as well?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Phuturist said:
    Can someone confirm that locally installed apps can be installed through athom-cli again after the update without issues. That is currently stopping me from updating right now.
    No problem for me... You'll lose your locally installed apps but not all their settings BTW (WU was lost, plex wasn't). Remember to reboot after the update...
  • Thanx @caseda and @BasVanDenBosch, that gives me enough confidence to install .36.  Although I signed up for experimental to help Athom develop the product, 0.8.35 is pretty stable for me now and I'm starting to get used to stuff that now works and dont want to break it .. :wink: 
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited June 2016
    Uhhhh. Please guys.
    • IR bounces from floor, walls, ceiling anything couple of times. No matter how many transmitters you have. So the receivers gets signals with a slight delay. No matter what.
    • IR signals travels with the speed of light so the interference caused by the delayed signal is not too significant.
    • 360 arrangement and 6 transmitter sounds good but does not mean anything on its own. There are many other things what matters as well like the optical efficiency, beam angle, etc. It is fact that Homey`s IR LEDs are sitting deep in the housing. This means poor optical efficiency and tight beam. My homey sits next to my HiFi  and it cant control it because of the tight beam and the bounced signal is not strong enough either. I have a Harmony remote (not the hub) and it has a single optical window but that remote is truly 360 as I can control anything with that in ANY position, even from an other room with indirect bounces. Of course no firmware update will fix this. We have to accept it. 
    • Yes there are many different types of IR codes. However I tend to agree with those who wants to use their not too unique remotes. I also have two Philips (I guess big enough brand even in the Netherlands) remotes and I can`t add them to homey so I can understand the frustrations there.
    Have a lovely bug hunting weekend everyone.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    IR sucks balls. 

To all;
    Please check all IR holes to see if the all are open and(!) see if all IR leds are aligned right.
    Mine has 3 holes which are almost closed due to molding/drilling residues and 1 IR leds totally out of line.

Also the IR beam is very(!!) narrow so reception is very bad.

Guys please check it!! 
This discussion has been closed.