This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Competition?

2»

Comments

• WeezulWeezul Member
    edited June 2016
    Just did a test at echosim which was quite impressive.
    With your PC microphone, where you were seated 15 cm away from? Great, thats comparable to speaking through Homey via the Android App, which has no problems as well.
    I always thought the app uses the standard Android.Speech API to do voice to text? It would surprise me if the app sends the raw voice recording to Homey for translation. (Not to discredit your argument, I agree that the comparison is not really fair, but I do not think the reason the app works better is solely related to the microphone)
  • Weezul said:
    Just did a test at echosim which was quite impressive.
    With your PC microphone, where you were seated 15 cm away from? Great, thats comparable to speaking through Homey via the Android App, which has no problems as well.
    I always thought the app uses the standard Android.Speech API to do voice to text? It would surprise me if the app sends the raw voice recording to Homey for translation. (Not to discredit your argument, I agree that the comparison is not really fair, but I do not think the reason the app works better is solely related to the microphone)
    I believe I read somewhere (but I can't find it atm) that an Athom employee said that the reason voice works better through Android is that there is less echo etc, but that the voice was send through the same channels as the 'normal' voice. Most likely (if this is true), the reasoning for this is that Athom has different voice2text providers for different scenarios (i.e. if it seems from a quick glance that the requested information is simple 'what is the time', it sends it to a more generic provider, while if a specific keyword is necessary ('play movie the hateful eight'), a more specific providor was used).
  • LesleyLesley Member
    In the meantime, more than 1.000(!) people on working on Amazon's Echo...

http://numrush.nl/2016/06/01/amazon-gigantisch-team-echo-om-kunnen-concurreren-google/
  • Weezul said:
    Nope, the app doesn't send the raw voice to Homey, but it does use our Athom cloud speech-to-text service, same as Homey itself. The advantage the app has is mostly distance to the user, which is a few tens of centimetres, as opposed to Homey, which should hear you from across the room.