This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Exclusion of z-wave devices

OGSOGS Member
I have some z-wave devices that are linked to an Razberry (died).
They still have the link set to the Razberry and won't link to Homey.
In the Razberry there was a way to exclude devices even if they were not linked to the Razberry itself.
Is there something like that in Homey (or will it come in a feature update)?
I know I can reset them with the button but build in wall switches are difficult to reach.

Comments

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    On your Homey, just go to Settings - Z-wave.
    There you click the 'Remove node' and put your device in learn/exclusion mode.
    Homey will send it a command to do a reset.
    After that, you can add it as you would normally do.
  • Isn't the device supposed to have its own method to do the reset?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited May 2016
    That's what I thought too. For Fibaro I have to remove the node AND reset the device to re-pair it...
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    A device is normally always reset when you remove it. 
    That's why after removing it, the parameters you sent to it are wiped also. 
  • Well, if the controller they are added to dies, I think resetting on the device itself would be the only option.
    It wouldn't make sense if I could remotely force devices to reset from a different controller, would it? Your neighbor would be able to hijack your sensors :)
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited June 2016
    No, because you still have to put your device in "learn"-mode before it will react to a command from your controller.  ;)
    Trust me, this is how it works, I've done it a lot of times like this already.
    Just this weekend... I wanted to add a 2x relay to another controller, but he refused to find it.  I used the 'Remove node' function on my Homey (although it wasn't linked to the Homey), Homey responded with 'node has been removed'.
    After this I tried adding it again to the other controller and it worked without a problem (because it had been reset and the link to a non-exisiting controller was removed)

But if you don't believe me, you can always Google it of course  ;)
    For example: 

Excluding or resetting a device that is not yet connected to SmartThings
    (General Device Exclusion)

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200878314-How-to-exclude-Z-Wave-devices

Or this:
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/z-wave-connection-tip-un-enroll-devices/316/2
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    Thats a big shortcoming of Smarthings then.
    Most Z-wave devices has a option for manual reset;

Fibaro relay:
    2. Resetting Fibaro Switch Fibaro Switch provides three methods for resetting.
    Method I : Reset by removing Fibaro Switch from the existing Z-Wave network. The device may be removed using the controller that has the ability to include/exclude devices from/to Z-Wave network (see the manual of controller).
    Method II : Within 5 sec. after connecting mains voltage supply Fibaro Switch allows the user to reset settings by single pressing S1 key and then holding key S2
    Method III : Reset by holding B button for 3 sec. after connecting mains voltage to the Switch

Greenwave nodes;
    The factory reset process allows you to reset your PowerNode to the factory defaults. This action is helpful if you are not able to perform a successful exclusion from the Gateway or if you simply want to revert back to the original factory settings. To complete the process you must perform the following steps:
    • Press and hold the power button while plugging the PowerNode into an electrical outlet
    • Keep the power button pressed for five seconds until all bars turn green for five seconds, indicating that the factory reset process has completed. Your PowerNode is now free of its former association, and you can perform an inclusion process to include it in your GreenWave Reality energy management system (refer to the “Network Inclusion Process” section above)

If all bars did not turn green for five seconds, then the PowerNode was not previously included
    Aeotec smart switch:

Reset your Smart Switch.

If, at some stage, your primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may wish to reset all of your Smart Switch’s settings to their factory defaults. To do this, press and hold the Action Button for 20 seconds and then release it. Your Smart Switch will now be reset to its original settings, and the green LED will be solid for 2 seconds and then remain in gradient status as a confirmation.

JustMy2Cents

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited June 2016
    No, it's not a shortcoming! 
    Every controller supports this. It's just an extra (and in my eyes) more convenient way of resetting a device. 
    Do you see the long piece of text you just posted with instructions on how to reset a device without a controller? You don't need to do any of that with this functionality! 
    Just go to the remove-option of your controller, put your device in inclusion/exclusion mode and tadaaa, you're done! 

I posted 2 examples from the ST-forum, but I don't have an ST. 
    I use this with Homey and my previous (Almond+) controller.  ;)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I always(!) manual reset the device. Very simple, very safe, very easy, very straight forward and the end result is always the same :smile: 

So maybe its something the one person like, the other not....
  • OGSOGS Member
    Indeed that worked, I could exclude the fibaro and include them again in Homey

thanks
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    MarcoF said:
    I always(!) manual reset the device. Very simple, very safe, very easy, very straight forward and the end result is always the same smile 

My end result is also always the same => you can add the device to your controller.  

Personal preference, let's keep it at that :smile: 

OGS said:

thanks

I guess you mean my method?
    In that case, glad to be of service.  :)
  • OGSOGS Member
    Fire69 said:
    MarcoF said:
    I always(!) manual reset the device. Very simple, very safe, very easy, very straight forward and the end result is always the same smile 

My end result is also always the same => you can add the device to your controller.  

Personal preference, let's keep it at that :smile: 

OGS said:

thanks

I guess you mean my method?
    In that case, glad to be of service.  :)
    Yes your idea worked.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.