This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Voice commands fail most of the time

The one thing I don't get to work with an acceptable "hit rate" is the recognition of my voice commands. I've tried commands in both Dutch and English with the language of my Homey set to either Dutch or English. I've run the "Settings / Microphone" / Learn  a couple of times but no improvements there. What is interesting though is I get the message "To much background noise" quite often ... but the only one talking/generating sound is me.

Using IFTTT and other triggers all my flows work really well. I've created flows using text in the column "IF".
 I also tried flows "You said anything" and added the specific words in the next column "AND" as Logical condition using the text-tag + "text contains" one or more words. No luck there.

Current version: 0.8.32; Setting for Updates automatic + Experimental updates both enabled. 

Any tips? Thanks for helping!

Comments

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited May 2016
    One tip: upgrade to experimental or wait a few days for the next stable. Your trained voice will be deleted, after that voice-recognition will work much better. You can also delete all your data like explained in
    https://www.athom.com/nl/ondersteuning/KB000026/
    (that's three tips...)
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    If you had experimental ticked yesterday you should be on 0.8.35 now. You could try to untick experimental. Leave the upgrade-page and return to the upgrade page. You might have to reboot Homey for the upgrade to start...
  • TMVTMV Member
    Hi Bas,

Thanks for you quick reply. Currently I'm on 0.8.35; unticking experimental doesn't work (in this version?).
    I'll reset to factory results and will see what happens ...
  • TMVTMV Member
    Update: when using the microphone on my iPhone flows are responding great.
    When talking straight to Homey almost any command fails. 

Currently I'm on 0.8.35.
  • TMV said:
    Update: when using the microphone on my iPhone flows are responding great.
    When talking straight to Homey almost any command fails. 

Currently I'm on 0.8.35.
    This seems to be a common problem, it's the same for Android. Somewhere in the process of capturing the voice on the mic and sending or even receiving the speech to text it goes wrong. I added some info to this GitHub issue:

https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/498#issuecomment-221568934
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Yeah, and Athom are well aware of this. As mentioned in the Software Status thread:

The microphone performance is still an ongoing track we're working hard on. At least in the smartphone apps it works great already!

• The smartphone app works great? Euh well it does not understand the word spots, spot, ceiling. Maybe it is my pronunciation (english second language but speak it fluently). Also when I say spotlight on, spotlight off to a flow I created it turns all the lights on/off. This is because of the default voice commands lights on/off. To go around this I tried spots, floorlight, spotlight, floorlamp, etc all no effect. Either not working OR not the desired effect.

Is there a way to delete the default commands?
  • I also need to know the answer to this. I have my hue lights working in a flow but Homey keeps telling me that there are no lights to turn on, but it turns on my lights. Also does this with KODI. I would really like to just delete all of these ddefault commands