This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Fibaro Support

Comments

• Using parameter 15 value 1 the module acts as an dimmer. It sends its triggers like it is a dimmer.
    If associated correctly it can control another z-wave module, like a dimmer, directly. Z-wave is not depending on a controller. You need a controller to receive a z-wave trigger and start an action for another protocol or keep up with the current status of a device.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

So what's the advantage of this method? You use a relay-module to control a dimmer-module. Can't you just directly use the dimmer-module then?
    Or am I missing something? :-)

• A module had two inputs. Second input can be used for a second device. So setiing to dim means you can dim another module with the second input

• Athomey said:
    @Skorpio and the rest: Fibaro Dimmer can be used fine without a light attached, as long as you give it a neutral wire connected OR if instead of a light you give it a fairly high resistor in series connected instead of a light. ROBBshop even sells those separately. I've got most of them without lights connected, controlling Hue's.

That's very nice to know!

The advantage of using the Fibaro Dimmer over the Fibaro relay is that you can activate scenes with the dimmer module. E.g. click the wall switch twice to activate scene A, click the wall switch three times to activate scene B. The relay module doesn't support this, so you would only have two possible actions, ON or OFF.

• Hi all,

I currently own the HC2 and am very pleased with it as it does everything I need right now (.. though I'm not using Speech recognition to execute tasks, this is why I'd like to have Homey in place :)

But just for my understanding because I can't find it anywhere;

Homey will talk to my Z-Wave devices THROUGH the HC2 controller, or does Homey speak directly to the Z-Wave devices and ignores the HC2?

• I think both scenario's are possible. You can include the Homey as a secondary controller into your z-wave network. Then the HC2 controller is aware of the changes of the devices (you give the command to Homey to turn on the lights, HC2 is then aware that the lights have changed their status to on and the other way around too. If you change the status of a device through the HC2, Homey will be aware off it). If you don't include Homey into the existing z-wave network, you have to exclude all the devices that you want Homey to be in control of from the existing network controlled by the HC2 and include them within the Homey z-wave network. A lot off work and after that the HC2 won't be aware off the statechanges off the devices because that are 2 seperate z-wave networks.

• Indeed I fully agree it doesn't make sense to have 2 seperate z-wave networks, fingers crossed that integration with Fibaro goes well. It seems that Homey will become a nice extension of our current Domotica environment :)

• Maybe it's possible to do a controller shift and ditch the HC2 :-p

IMHO there is no advantage of having another static secondary controller. Only brings complexity and higher power usage to the table.

• actually, the secondary controller would also increase the z-wave signal strength / stability so I'm not sure if I'm going to ditch the HC2 because it is a great controller too :-)

We'll see once Homey is here. So far the demo videos look great, but I'd like to see for myself.

• Controller shift would be nice. Was my first choice because it is supported by Homey, but unfortunatly left in the dark by my Aeon Labs Z2 stick. That one does not support a controller shift.....

• @emile I read something about (zwave) controller shift and I think you mentioned it before, but is it possible/easy to do a controller shift and is it possible with every controller?

• @MarcoF that has been mentioned before. It depends on the other controller. I contacted Aeon Labs with that question and i had a clear answer: the Z2 does not support that, but the new stick with zwave plus supports it. So even with the same manufacturer it is model specific and you have to ask the manufacturer. Emile can not answer that for al the manufacturers. For some he knows, others you have to check yourself. @Emile do i stand correct?

• @kasteleman I'm looking for the scenarios in which I should/will work and I'm hoping athom can make that clear before or as soon as possible after launch.

This will help and saves a lot of time for people.

• @MarcoF I understand, but all question can't be answerd before launch. There are to much hardwaredevices and scenario's! They are making a lot off progres with Homey and Emile always tries to answer the question as soon as he can. But the succes of Homey also depends on us. Therefore good question you posted and hopefully the answers on this forum makes it more clear for you and others. @Emile Thx for al those answers and thumbs up!!!!!

• TacoTaco Member
    edited August 2015

As stated before Homey can be included in a existing Z-Wave network if the primary controller of that network supports a Controller Shift. This is a function mandatory for Z-Wave plus controllers. If your current controller supports Controller Shift you will for sure be able to include Homey. If your controller doesn't, I can't say for sure you'll be able to.

Either way can you always create a new network with Homey.

@mvdkallen Assuming your controller made associations with all devices, it will keep receiving device updates as well as Homey after you include Homey in a existing network.

@RobinVanKekem Homey will be able to do everything the HC2 does and more and faster. If not at launch later on the road. Personally i would sell the HC2 for $$$ because they are so expensive ;)

@MarcoF You could assume a Z-Wave Plus controller can but to be sure you should check with the manufacturer.

@kasteleman You're absolutely right. Thnx!

@everyone When you all receive your Homey's please let me know what works, doesn't, or is missing in Homey's Z-Wave driver

• mvdkallen said:
    actually, the secondary controller would also increase the z-wave signal strength / stability so I'm not sure if I'm going to ditch the HC2 because it is a great controller too :-)

We'll see once Homey is here. So far the demo videos look great, but I'd like to see for myself.

Any DC powered Z-wave device will increase signal by repeating it. ;-)
    But I understand your point of view.

• @Taco
    Thanx!
    It looks like my Vera3 supports some sort of controller shift. As early backer I hope others will share there experience of shifting from a vera3 to homey :)

• RobinVanKekem said:

mvdkallen said:
    actually, the secondary controller would also increase the z-wave signal strength / stability so I'm not sure if I'm going to ditch the HC2 because it is a great controller too :-)

Any DC powered Z-wave device will increase signal by repeating it. ;-)
    But I understand your point of view.

That's what I thought also, but apparently it seems your poweref modules need to have support for this, otherwise it doesn't work.
    People over at the Almond-forum are complaining about this.
    Maybe @taco can clear this out?

• kastelemankasteleman Member
    edited August 2015

As far as i know it depends on the devices. Often battery powered devices don't support it. This is because they often are configured to have a wake-up interval and only be awake for a specific time. For example the Danfoss thermostat devices and the battery powered wall switches such as the WallC-S. Normally you can find such a info in the manual for that device. Otherwise contact the manufacturer! Aeon Labs has a z-wave repeater for cases that you have problems with range.......

• Yes, it's up to the manufacturer to support repeating of the signal.

• Does the Fibaro firmware ever get updated?
    I know that the Philips hue lamps can receive updates via the bridge.

• TacoTaco Member

Z-Wave also has that functionality. I will talk with Emile about that, don't expect it at launch.

• Don't know if this is the right topic, but i have the following situation:
    2 living colors connected to hue bridge and a rgb ledstrip connected to a fibaro rgbw. Can i sync the color between them because they are in te same room?

• Hue != rgb

Hue can produce all rgb colors, but rgb can't produce all hue colors.

So sinking should be possible, but not for all colors.

• The Hue bulb can't make all the rgb-colors! Only the Hue strips can, as far as I know.

• You will never get the exact color, the color is dependent on the type of led and casing it is in. But you should be able to get close. Some colors will be better matching than others. I would start by seeing if you can match the unmixed rgb colors first and work from there.

• Ok, have to wait and see until my homey will arrive. Don't know how to do that at this moment.

• Just saw that the appstore is online and a new kickstarter update. Indeed some news and as mentioned just a few apps online. Now wait until we get some pictures etc of a homey fresh first install. Still try to understand how it will work. Is there for every specific z-wave device a specific app? Like one for the Fibaro Smoke Sensor and another for the RGBW etc etc etc?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Homey includes support for some devices, where you don't need apps. These are Z-Wave and Infrared devices, and in the future probably ZigBee.

• @Emile: thx for the quick answer. What about Kaku? Build in or app? Maybe some screenshots of the z-wave interface configuration etc as a teaser........?