This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[Ready] Better Voice

KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
edited May 2016 in Apps
I always disliked how Homey always said the same things. I like Homey to warn me to leave to catch my train in time, but I wanted some variety after hearing it every morning. Thus, Better Voice.
You can output voice or ask a question like normal, but you can enter multiple strings, separated by a semicolon (;). Tags and other interpunction are no problem. There should technically not be a maximum amount of entries you can enter this way.

Example use:

Welcome Home;You are home!;Finally, home!

Found at: https://github.com/kruimel0/martens-bettervoice

If I do not find any problems coming days, I will send to Athom.
Oh, I would be very glad if the guys at athom want to add this to the normal voice app thing, because we dont really need another app for this.

Comments

• Very nice!
    Works with 0.8.32
  • oliveolive Member
    Very cool!!
  • Good work!
  • MennoMenno Member
    Good work ; nice ; very cool ; te gek ; toppie
  • What Menno said; Mooi man
  • Great. The cleaning person will be suprised. I gotta think about what Homey wants to say to her.
  • This is cool! Does homey use the entries in a random order? Or is it always first the first one, second the second one, etc.?
  • Good job, thanks!
  • ErikVanDongenErikVanDongen Member
    edited May 2016
    Just installed and tested. Works perfectly. I'm running Homey in Dutch, not all texts are translated (card names). 
    I also advice to put some more words (and translations) on the `Homey.manager('speech-input').ask` handler like:
    English: 'ok', 'allright'
    Dutch: 'ja', 'ok', 'goed'

(ps: on line 25 in app.js it return Homey.error, but should return callback(error) or callback(null, false) ) 
  • This is cool! Does homey use the entries in a random order? Or is it always first the first one, second the second one, etc.?
    As far as I understand the code it's random.
    Yep reandom

@ErikVanDongen Thanks, will change it
  • RonaldRonald Member
    works great  :)
  • Can't seem to get this to work on the latest version? I'm using the "say something" card, is this right?
  • That should be right. I haven't tested it on the latest version yet (I don't want to lose IR control, and I don't use Z-wave at the moment). I will probably update next week (if 0.9.2 gives IR support), and look into it then.
  • MarkSwift said:
    Can't seem to get this to work on the latest version? I'm using the "say something" card, is this right?
    Works ok for me on 0.9.1
    Be sure using the special better voice card.
  • That did it. Oops!
  • Yesterday I noticed the confirmation card wasn't working correctly. It did ask the question, but didn't respond to the answer. Even when I entered 'ja' using the speechinput-page.
    When I replaced the Better Voice-card with the standard one, my flow worked as it should.
  • @Amelsfort: Will look into it this weekend. For me, neither normal voice nor better voice works with using the speech-input page (don't have access to my physical Homey at the moment).
  • @Annemarie and everyone else:
    Since 0.10.9 the regular voice has incorporated the exact same effects of Better Voice (as I proposed in the start of this thread).

I suggest to Athom to remove this app from their store, as it's completely redundant. Thanks for the incorporation (Athom) and the support (everyone who used it)!
  • Wait until it is in a stable release and every user now can continue to do so.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited November 2016
    can someone please tell me how it can work now without bette voice? 
    i know there was a screenshot on slack by @Emile ;
    but i can't find it anymore...

thx

edit: thx i just saw the "i" information icon of the card where it is explained. sorry ;-)