This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Double switch setup

edited May 2016 in Devices
Reading the manual, I am concerned the Dimmer two is not capable to serve it's purpose in a double switch configuration.

What I would like to achieve:

The switch has one L (for both lamps).

Any ideas / suggestions?

Comments

• casedacaseda Member
    I think you are correct of not understanding it correctly.
    The dimmer 2 is made compatible for what we call in the Netherlands "Hotel Schakeling" or "Wissel schakeling".
    So if you can turn on a light with 2 separate switches. (it does work if there is only 1 switch as well)
    the "2" doesn't indicate it can switch 2 lights, it indicates it's the 2nd version.
  • I love that first sentence! So to make this work I assume I have to replace my double switch (1L) with a double switch (2L) and connect the to be dimmed lamp as a regular 1 button switch. I'm not aiming for a "Hotel Schakeling". 
  • casedacaseda Member
    You can leave the double switch (so still use them as 2 single switches), you just need 2 dimmers, either inside the wall (I don't think that will fit) or at the lamp side. 
    Combination of both is possible as well i guess (1 in the wall, 1 at the lamp)

Or think with a smart bulb route. 
  • You are addressing my concern spot on: leave the double switch (so still use them as 2 single switches). 
    The L for the double switch is singular in the current setup - not sure what configuration to use in combination with Dimmer 2. If I use the switch as 2 single switches I can use for the to be dimmed lamp:

But how to connect the lamp 2 (not need to dim this one). For now I do not think Dimmer 2 is capable to work with a double switch (1L, 2S) setup.
  • MennoMenno Member
    was also looking for a double dimmer but it seems that it doesn't exist yet 
    Let's hope it will soon be released
  • casedacaseda Member
    Too bad i don't have one, and can't find my answer on the interwebs, atleast i'm not sure if the drawings i've seen are compatible with the dimmer 2.

What i need to know: if the Sx terminal outputs 230v, and/or if S1/S2 terminals can handle/receive 230V.

If atleast one of the 2 cases is true there is way to keep using your double switch with one controlling the dimmer and the other switching the other light:

Option 1 = If the terminals S1/S2 can handle 230v
    Option 2 = if Sx sends out 230v (which makes option 1 viable as wel)

PS: sorry about the bad drawing, was just a quick sketch up
  • 1 dimmer module for 1 lamp and 2 switches aka wisselschakeling.

The dimmer "2" u keep hammering about is only the version, in this case its the zwave + model.

If u want to dimm 1 lamp u use 1 module, connect 1 switch and the other as normal without the module, if u want to switch the second lamp aswell thought homey u have to buy a regular switching module and attach the second switch and lamp to that.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2016
    @MarcelKuijper ;;
    Your way is not always possible when you have a "Series Switch" so 1 switch with 2 buttons, not 2 separate switches, most switches of this type only have Input and Outputs so if you want to use both outputs you need 230v on the input.

Not all wireless modules can handle 230V on their Terminal Contacts that are connected to the internal relay (S1 & S2 in this case), i found this out in the hard way with a KaKu module which fried the relay.
    What you will get when you attach the module behind the series switch (get 230v on the contact terminals).
    So it is not always possible to connect a module to a series switch. (the way i have drawn it in option 1)
  • MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited May 2016
    We are talking about fibaro modules, those build in modules u put behind ur existing switches,
    those are made for 230v,

i dont know wot u mean with series switches.

Obviously u need to read the manual carefuly inorder to use it correctly.
  • I will do some additional research to confirm option 1 or 2 but maybe the safest and easiest way is to replace the "Series Switch" with a real "Double Switch" serving both lights and connect the Fibaro "Dimmer 2" in single switch mode. I think that will work.
  • I did read the manual - hence my concerns. What caseda understands very well is that the Switch I have is:

I would like to dimm one of the lights and if I follow the Fibaro manual I can use the Single Switch setup Fibaro recommends in their manual. The result at best will be one dim-able light and one not connected light. The two options caseda proposed are not documented in the Fibaro manual, so I will check with Fibaro support.
  • casedacaseda Member
    @MarcelKuijper ;
    actually the subject of the OP is what his best option is for using a dimmer module behind his series switch, not just the modules in general.
    And it does not state in the official manual how to handle with this situation.

Trust me i know the manual for installing it from the back of my hand.
    Have read all 4 versions that are given on the fibaro website to find the answer if the module can handle 230v on S1 and S2 (not L which does need 230v to run the module) these are 2 totally different terminal contacts of the dimmer.

The kaku dimmers that go inside the wall are 230v as well, but still can fry the relay that is inside when putting 230v on the switch contacts (the terminals that go to the switch itself, just like Sx and S1 of the fibaro dimmer)

so maybe try to read either the question properly, or know what you are doing/saying yourself.

Can translate it all to dutch if this makes it easier for you to understand what the real deal is.
  • casedacaseda Member
    @hnijveen ;
    It is the safest way to go to change the switch to a regular double (toggle) switch, and you don't need to pull any new wires in that way. (for the N contact)
  • edited May 2016
    Agreed! and thx for your thinking power.
  • Feedback on the two options caseda proposed by Fibaro:

Rafał Ciesielski19 May 16

Hello,
    In case of two load You can use Relay Switch – but it must by powered.

If You want to use dimmer You can use second scheme from Your email.
    Regards

• casedacaseda Member
    that's a pretty quick response time from fibaro.
    but great my guessing was right :smiley: 

Happy switching and dimming.
  • FranqFranq Member
    If I add my fibaro dimmer 2 as device I got 3 new devices in the 'devices' tab. Is there a reason for it? Or just a bug. Its working fine but still strange...
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2016
    This is why you get 3 devices:
    1st (the one without the Endpoint in the name) is the main device, and is needed to be able to send parameters to the dimmer with flows (and a few behind the scene reasons).
    2nd (Endpoint 1) = Dimmer Relay 1 (a.k.a. S1)
    3th (Endpoint 2) = Dimmer Relay 2 (a.k.a. S2)
  • I connected the Dimmer 2. Although I can switch and dimm the lamps using the toggle switch, I'm not able to succesfully add to device to Homey. At the moment I use the toggle switch (connected to S1) to put the Dimmer 2 into learning mode (for inclusion). It will just not show in Homey. Did anybody else succeeded adding a Dimmer 2 to Homey using the toggle switch?

Procedure I follow:
    1| I turn on the lights using the toggle switch
    2| When lights are on, I quickly press the toggle switch 3x
  • FranqFranq Member
    I had also troubles but managed to add it after full factory reset (2 times)
  • Franq said:
    I had also troubles but managed to add it after full factory reset (2 times)
    Homey full factory resets ?
  • edited October 2016
    @hnijveen Did you at the end manage to get both lamps working (on/off and dim/bright) And can you still manual use the lights?

I want to buy the parts but I'm not sure what I have to buy argghhh
  • Yes, it did work. I had two options:
    1| Keep existing switch and use the schema option 2 proposed by caseda (and confirmed by Fibaro)
    2| Replace existing switch with a double switch and use the single switch setup (see Fibaro manual)

I choose to go for option 2 and all was working fine except it was not possible to include the Dimmer 2. At first I assumed it was Homey issue (z-wave not yet mature), but after one the last z-wave homey firmware updates and Fibaro app updates I concluded it must be the device itself. At the moment I'm waiting for a replacement Dimmer 2.
  • Hello,

I purchased a FGD-212 Dimmer 2 from Fibaro, to install it on a double switch that controls two independent lamps (attached picture and outline of my current electrical installation in this message: one lamp is dimmable and the other not).
    I do not have a neutral cable in my switch box, I would like to know if I can output 'N' to 'Sx' from the FGD-212 module as indicated in the following diagram:

My current installation:

Thanks!

• As far as I know you can only attach one light to the Fibaro Dimmer 2. This light is then switched by the S1 input. If you attach a second switch to the S2 input of the Fibaro dimmer you can link specific actions to that switch (different actions for e.g. one/double/triple/long press). 
  • Julian said:
    As far as I know you can only attach one light to the Fibaro Dimmer 2. This light is then switched by the S1 input. If you attach a second switch to the S2 input of the Fibaro dimmer you can link specific actions to that switch (different actions for e.g. one/double/triple/long press). 
    I had the same thoughts.
  • Thanks for your help.
    I think I will try to make it as simple as possible: I just want to control one of the two lamps (the one that is dimmable), I would like you to tell me which of the two schemes is the right one.
    Thanks!

OPTION A:

OPTION B:

• Is it possible to receive a signal in Homey from the dimmer2 when a button us pushed?
    Could you see the difference between between s1 & s2?
    Then you could use the dimmer 2 without load, and use an active lamp, like ikea, mi, etc.

• pelaoboykapelaoboyka Member
    edited January 2018
    Julian said:
    Thanks for your help. I changed the double switch so that it has two inputs: L1 and L2. I have followed the instructions of fibaro and it´s works :)