This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

iTunes app

DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
edited April 2016 in Apps
I just submitted the first version of the iTunes app.
The first version only supports the basics. This includes pairing with iTunes and play, pause, next, previous actions.
I already have planned much more functionality but first I would like to know if the pairing and basics work for everyone.

Update #1:
Version 1.0.0 is approved and in the app store.
Version 1.1.0 is submitted to the app store and awaiting approval. All features included in this release are listed below.

Update #2:
Version 1.2.0 is submitted to the app store and awaiting approval.

Update #3:
Version 1.2.1 is approved and available in the app store.
Version 1.3.0 is approved and available in the app store.

Features:
- Pair with iTunes
- Control songs with play, pause, previous, next
- Change the volume
- Homey can say what song is playing
- Homey can say the user rating of a song
- Play a song
- Create and play a playlist of your favorite artist
- Trigger on song changed, paused, resumed
- Speech input support

Speech:
For speech always include the word "iTunes" in your sentence.
Some examples:
- iTunes pause
- iTunes play
- iTunes previous song
- iTunes next song
- iTunes set volume to 80 percent
- iTunes what song is playing

Any feedback and/or suggestions is welcome.

Comments

• Nice!
  • MoekMoek Member
    Very cool!!
  • Nice! link to source? 
  • That is indeed the correct link to the source. 
  • PandaPanda Member
    Awesome Dennie, will test it tonight :smiley: 
  • I updated the start post with the latest information.
  • MoekMoek Member
    @DennieDeGroot , just installed your app and really like it!
    Paring worked flawless and itunes is very responsive to the action cards.
    I disabled speech at the moment so I can't say anything about speech commands.
    Thanks! Can't wait for upcoming versions!! :smiley: 
  • Thanks for your feedback @Moek. Speech will be included in the next release, however I don't think it is very useful at the moment because Homey cannot really listen to you when loud music is playing :)

For the next releases I will focus on flow triggers. For example: The song has changed.
  • MoekMoek Member
    Nice!
  • Version 1.2.0 is submitted to the app store and awaiting approval.

- Trigger on song changed, paused, resumed
    - Homey can say the user rating of a song
    - Create and play a playlist of your favorite artist
    - Speech can be disabled in the settings page
    - Some bugfixes
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    Would love to see support for podcasts
  • @p0nts what kind of support for podcasts would you like? In version 1.3.0 it is possible to play a song or podcast.
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    @DennieDeGroot ; that would be everything I need. Great thx!
  • was hoping this would work with my foobar2000 Touchremote server. It pairs perfectly but flows and commands dont work. 
    (touchremote is a plugin for foobar that makes it possible to use itunes remote app to control foobar as if it were itunes)
  • @mauritsivs very strange, maybe the plugin is using a command which I have not implemented yet. Could you maybe run the app in debug mode via the athom cli and see if the logging provides extra information?
  •  It could be just me, but I cannot get it to pair  with any of my three iTunes apps running on a MacBook Pro and 2 Mac mini's

I tried running only one instance of iTunes at once, but that doesn't change anything. 
    I don't see the remote icon and any of the iTunes instances. It's the latest version of iTunes for Mac OS. Any ideas or is it just me?
  • DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
    edited May 2016
    It is not only you, it seems there is an issue in the current version under some circumstances.
    I just submitted 1.3.1 to the app store which should fix the pairing problem.
  • Good job :)
  • Great Job! I'd like to play playlist. Not just by artist but my own playlists. I have put NFC tags in Albums and when that tag connects with homey I'd like to play that album, not all the song by artists. Oh, and shuffle, definitely  shuffle. 
  • @carelpeer playing a playlist is already implemented and in testing. I will add shuffle and repeat actions soon.
  • @LeonMols version 1.3.1 is released, are your pairing issues solved?
  • @mauritsivs very strange, maybe the plugin is using a command which I have not implemented yet. Could you maybe run the app in debug mode via the athom cli and see if the logging provides extra information?
    @DennieDeGroot ;
    im affraid im too much of a noob to know how to do that....
    what i did find in the logging of the foobar plugin:
    when i send a play/pause command via homey, this what gets logged in foobar:

HTTP 18: ctrl-int/1/playpause
      session-id: 0
    HTTP 18: Request is not served: ctrl-int/1/playpause
    HTTP 18: server-info
    HTTP 18: Request is not served: server-info
    HTTP 16: login
      pairing-guid: 0x0DCA2E2CB8D59D30
    HTTP 16: Request is not served: login
    HTTP 18: logout
      session-id: 0
    HTTP 18: Request is not served: logout

and then the logout request gets repeated every minute

• @mauritsivs thanks for the logging it was very useful. I think I have identified and solved your issue.
    It could take however a few weeks before I push it to the app store because I want to implement some more functionality. But you can already test it by uploading it to your Homey, follow this guide:
    https://developers.athom.com/library/getting-started/

The source of the app can be found here:
    https://github.com/denniedegroot/com.apple.itunes
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    my homey (0.32) doesnt want to pair like @LeonMols ;
    itunes app 1.3.1
  • BumbleBumble Member
    stupid question maybe , but my Homey is in dutch and paired correct.
    How do i get it to play my music?
    Tried:

And a lot more.. doesn't do anything.
  • DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
    edited July 2016
    @Bumble for the Dutch language you can use the following words: "afspelen, pauzeer, speel af, hervat, volgend, vorig". Make sure the "Luister naar spraakopdrachten" option is enabled in the app settings. I will update the README with dutch commands in the next release.
  • BumbleBumble Member
    I paired it with my laptop, got it working the other day.. Do I need to have my laptop on? Because the sound came out of my laptop..
  • Yes you need to have the laptop on because that is were the music is stored and controlled from. Currently is not possible yet to play the music through the Homey speaker, maybe in the future when there is an API for it.
  • If you use airplay (remote app?) on your laptop you can choose which speakers you want to stream to as a workaround